Play Path of Exile beta by supporting early

I was able to play in the Path of Exile stress test this weekend. Based on player requests/support, Grinding Gears has opened the store early and will provide beta keys for early supporters. https://www.pathofexile.com/purchase

It isn't buying the game, since it is F2P. It's more like pre-purchasing store credit and getting a beta key for it.

Activated Node
    I'd like to note that I love this game. I got my hands on a beta key a while ago and I've played quite a bit. It's really good Diablo 2 clone with a lot of interesting new mechanics.

Agreed. I think my favorite thing about it that makes it unique is the fact that there is no gold. I like the way it works, but more importantly, I like the way it works with/enhances the setting. "Criminals" on an island of exile aren't going to have heaps of gold. They're going to use a rudimentary bartering system.

Just don't try to figure out where all the orbs and scrolls originate.

Lesser Hivemind Node squareking's Avatar
    I'm really loving what they're doing with Path of Exile, particularly the no-gold system. If it had the hyper-evil setting as in Diablo I/II, it'd be my ideal hack & slasher. Basically, more pentagrams, please.

I haven't played it in a month or so; is there a way to manage/coordinate with buds? We could start an RPS guildocracy if there isn't one already.
    steam

Activated Node
    Yep, they introduced the Friends system last week (or the week before that :/).

I'm for it.

What is the benefit of the kiwi pet?

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodeen View Post
    What is the benefit of the kiwi pet?
    According to the description, it's purely cosmetic.

Quote Originally Posted by Subatomic View Post
    According to the description, it's purely cosmetic.
    Yeah, I saw that and went to their forum just to see if there was any additional info, there isn't.

The soundtrack tier sounds tempting to me.

That's what I got. It'll be some nice background music for D&D night.

My main's name is Laeka, if anyone wants to party up.

So how are enemy respawns handled?

From forum:

Enemies don't respawn within an instance. You can reset the area to respawn them if you like (which will also generate a new random map), or you can leave the instance empty until it resets itself (8-15min, depending on the area).

Network Hub
    What are peoples favourite classes I tried their ranger but found it got a little dull after a while, wondering if melee is a better direction.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by goatmonkey View Post
    What are peoples favourite classes I tried their ranger but found it got a little dull after a while, wondering if melee is a better direction.
    I have a lvl 39 tankish Templar. It's really fun to leap between enemies, rain fire and ice on them, and finish the rest with my mace. It is kind of repetitive, but since the point is to fight as many mobs as you can handle, it's a matter of choosing fights, positions, etc, and it hasn't gone stale yet. (And I'm usually quite rapidly bored with stuff.)

Network Hub
    It holds up quite well. Not pay to win like Diablo 3 is aiming to be, not that the two games have anything in common at this point.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I enjoyed the free weekend - I like everything the game is trying to do (Diablo II polished up quite a bit).

I realise you're buying credit which will carry forward into the Open Beta and final game BUT it's worth noting that your characters will be deleted from the Closed Beta so any progress you make WILL be wiped at this point.

If you're dead-keen to play, go right ahead - but the game seems to be pretty much the same every time you play through it (positioning of quest items and slight changes to map layout aside) so you might want to wait until your hard work will be kept!?

Also - my brief play through suggested the classes are pretty similar so, again, replay may not be a favourable as with some games - but YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    I realise you're buying credit which will carry forward into the Open Beta and final game BUT it's worth noting that your characters will be deleted from the Closed Beta so any progress you make WILL be wiped at this point.
    I bought into the the beta and I actually view this as a plus, it allows me to experiment with the passive skill forest without having made a bad decision in regards to min/maxing. I'm enjoying it so far.