Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DotA 2 Beta

Hybrid View

Banned

DotA 2 Beta

Anyone in the beta? Fancy a practice match or two?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    I need a key :(

Network Hub
    Im in and you suck! Yeah you heard me YOU suck!!!! How does that feel? If you feel hurt then good we are one step closer to building up your resistances to being offended in dota games.

Horrible attempts at humour aside im enjoying the Beta so far though the game is a bit imbalanced at the moment with Anti Mage being horribly over powered.

I know it's a Beta and all but some things that are missing are just inexcusable, a simple character list with the abilities breakdown for each char would take a week of work to do but it won't see the light of day for another few months.

Here is a list of heros with their ability breakdown http://www.dota2portal.org/?pid=2

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jockie's Avatar
    I've played a few hours so far and deary me, anyone expecting Valve to bring Dota-like games to the masses is in for a bit of a rude awakening. It feels like a straight up DOTA-source port with better front-end functionality. It's still extremely slow paced and every lesson Riot learned about making things clear, precise, user friendly and intuitive has been ignored in favour of being obscure, muddled, confusing and arcane (or complex and deep, as it's fans say). In terms of where it stands in the LoL vs HoN vs Dota 2 debate - This game will probably outright kill HoN, because it's essentially the same game with better backing. But LoL will remain dota-like of choice for people new to the genre, or who find the plodding pace, long cooldowns etc of Dota a bit too much.

I played three games of Dota 2 last night with a friend and we were in shock that Valve had made a game this little fun to play.
    I write about them video games at these locations

And on Twitter

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Jockie View Post
    I've played a few hours so far and deary me, anyone expecting Valve to bring Dota-like games to the masses is in for a bit of a rude awakening. It feels like a straight up DOTA-source port with better front-end functionality. It's still extremely slow paced and every lesson Riot learned about making things clear, precise, user friendly and intuitive has been ignored in favour of being obscure, muddled, confusing and arcane (or complex and deep, as it's fans say). In terms of where it stands in the LoL vs HoN vs Dota 2 debate - This game will probably outright kill HoN, because it's essentially the same game with better backing. But LoL will remain dota-like of choice for people new to the genre, or who find the plodding pace, long cooldowns etc of Dota a bit too much.

I played three games of Dota 2 last night with a friend and we were in shock that Valve had made a game this little fun to play.

Don't say things like this you nub why you speak about Dota when you know play Dota long time pro?? Fukn nub face go play Looooooolll with every1 blink n less complx heros.

Yeah it is actually horrible how bad the community can be. If this game doesn't go F2P it will be a immense failure. If you know nothing about the original Dota or Hon then your fucked in being able to pick up what your supposed to do. Not to mention that on average games take 50 FUCKING MINUTES to finish up even in one sided matches.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jockie View Post

I was a bit worried about this, to be honest. Icefrog seems way too in love with the original DotA to actually improve the game.

The simple fact they've kept the factions seperate (instead of, y'know, doing the sensible thing and giving the same champions to BOTH sides) is really, really worrisome.

Oh, well, it's probably going to be more SWTOR beta than playing DotA2 tonight, anyway.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jockie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by R-F View Post
    I was a bit worried about this, to be honest. Icefrog seems way too in love with the original DotA to actually improve the game.

The simple fact they've kept the factions seperate (instead of, y'know, doing the sensible thing and giving the same champions to BOTH sides) is really, really worrisome.

Oh, well, it's probably going to be more SWTOR beta than playing DotA2 tonight, anyway.
    You were free to pick Heroes from either faction regardless of which side you were on from the games I played last night.
    I write about them video games at these locations

And on Twitter

Activated Node
    Finally got around to making an account for this.

I used to play DoTA fairly regularly and have since moved on to LoL (since alpha I think), so I believe I have a fair grounding in the MOBA scene.

DoTA2 is in all aspects DoTA with newer graphics (whilst HoN was DoTA with newer graphics and the same heroes reskinned). And for the life of me I cannot understand why they didn't take a page out of Riots book and make the game actually player friendly, it's really mind-boggling.

The shop is an absolute mess with items in unspecified pages and tabs, upgrading an item doesn't take in into consideration what you have already bought (it just has a flat gold rate, I found myself able to buy the items despite not having the gold it told me I'd need) and by far and away the worst thing is the lack of visible spell effects in combat. Last night I was gibbed repeatedly by a hero that didn't even seem to have a visible spell effect (I'm looking at you, Lich) and to make things worse it was two of us .. and we were both at full health!

The UI is ugly also.

I understand the game is still in beta and everything is subject to change .. but I don't see it making as large a splash as Valve would likely hope, it'll definitely kill off HoN though.

P.S: No concede button, this means 50 minutes of getting your ass kicked when the game is horribly one-sided.
    Last edited by Noirdeathe; 25-11-2011 at 10:00 PM.

New forum account to bash Dota and HoN. LoL has damaged internet more than WoW and MW together.
    Last edited by pakoito; 25-11-2011 at 10:05 PM.

Activated Node
    I've played DoTA, HoN, Bloodlines, Immortals, blahblah. I've given almost every MOBA game a shot out there a go and have come to my own -personal- opinions. I don't like DoTA and HoN because they're too "hardcore" and too unforgiving for new players, you really need to learn everything about the game before you can play as a viable player (map layout and tactics, hero skills, items, item costs) .. and the community is utter garbage (only community I've met that is worse was the CounterStrike lot).

I like LoL, it's accessible and I can introduce people to it without warning them about the players.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Noirdeathe View Post
    I like LoL, it's accessible and I can introduce people to it without warning them about the players.
    Really? It's not as bad as those others, sure, but LoL has the double edged sword of a troll community that thinks they're the greatest even when they're doing terrible.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    Really? It's not as bad as those others, sure, but LoL has the double edged sword of a troll community that thinks they're the greatest even when they're doing terrible.
    Compared to most of the games I've had in DoTA whilst most of the team was screaming and rolling their faces along the keyboard, I'll take the occasional troll that crops up.

Do you play on the Euro servers? Because that happens to me all the time.

Activated Node
    Nah, I made the account on the Americas well before the Euro servers were actually decent. GOA Online used to control them so I pretty much stayed well, well away.

Then I must just have terrible luck, because my experience with the community was almost unanimously awful.

I've been in it for a while, firstly using a friends account and then I got an invite myself last week. I've played around 100 games.

Positives:

It's quintessential DOTA, it's a straight port in many aspects. I was terrified they'd turn it into a LoL-esque monster but it's not, all the important bits are in there, denies, gold loss on death, a reliance on carries e.t.c. that set it apart from LoL.

It looks absolutely stunning, uses lovely pastel colours which dont really come through in a stream, but look gorgeous when you actually play it.

Weekly patches, they are patching it constantly, adding heroes and squashing loads of bugs each time, I've occasionally seen people call Icefrog lazy, which is really just a stupid thing to say, he works damn hard.

Negatives (this is coming from a long time DOTA/HoN player)

Minimap: Too hard to see which areas have vision and which dont.

Shop: Maybe it is reminiscent of the old DOTA shop, I have not played DOTA in a long while and I think I used a modded one? But it's very, VERY awkward, hot keys dont seem to be fully implemented and a lot more clicking is required than should be necessary, mostly items are laid out ok (flying courier is one notable exception), I dont know where that idea has come from, it's just too hard to navigate.

Engine: There is a deliberate delay of about 100ms on EVERYTHING, you do get used to it, but it feels slow and cumbersome, I'm unsure if it's to try and level the playing field when people have vastly different pings or if they just wanted to slow down the pace (more likely) but I do think it feels slow, especially after playing HoN.

Hero Pool: Right now too small, missing some key heroes that would help to counteract some of the major balance issues that there are rightnow, AM has bugger all counters and has a stupidly high win %. This should obviously change.

Stats e.t.c. : All they record right now is wins/losses/abandons. No other stat tracking, Jury is most certainly out on this one, some love it and some hate it. Personally I'm a lover but I would expect it to change.

Matchmaking: Occasionally very bad, generally alright, I'd assume this is not close to being finished.

Overall: For REAL Dota players, most will love it, some will probably prefer the faster pace of HoN, but I prefer the additional tactics the slow game play requires (i.e. postioning is MUCH more important during the laning phase). Basic gameplay is pretty much there. What needs work is the surrounding infrastructure for the first timers to proper DOTA, as I would expect a lot of them, and they wont understand the heroes, the skills, the builds the items e.t.c..

Activated Node
    If anyone fancies a game of DoTA2 this evening, feel free to hit me up!

(was supposed to put this in earlier, but forgot).

Banned
    I can't seem to connect to the servers. :| Not even a private match.

Activated Node
    Well, it seems that I have 2 DotA2 copies to give as a gift in my steam inventory. First two people that want them can have them!

Quote Originally Posted by redspielened View Post
    Well, it seems that I have 2 DotA2 copies to give as a gift in my steam inventory. First two people that want them can have them!
    Can I has one for friend? My account doesn't have any yet. Account: Malcolmlisk
    Last edited by pakoito; 01-12-2011 at 01:10 AM.