• Yep

20 33.90%
  • Dunno

11 18.64%
  • I don't participate in polls

5 8.47%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Anyone played the SWTOR beta?

I played it for a couple of hours this morning. I'm not interested in any of the MMO aspects, I'm interested in how much truth there is to the talk of it being a worthy successor to KOTOR.

Well I have to say, it left a single impression on me- dull.

There is an awful lot of running around and repetitive combat. That wouldn't be so bad, but the combat is extremely unenjoyable. Playing as a jedi knight, you have to click to target an enemy, run up to it, and then right-click it. Then if you can be arsed, press the number keys to do special attacks. I dunno, maybe I was hoping for something more along the lines of mass effect, or at least kotor 1. So after a while of that I tended to avoid getting into fights, and just blitz through the storyline.

Ugh. The voice acting is generally pretty good, but the conversation choices are terrible- priggishly self-righteous, apathetic or passive-aggressive. With next to no deviation in the formula. And all the NPCs seem to whine a lot. Seriously, there are two jedi in the opening missionwho appear to be suffering from mild heartburn and harp on about how they need to go to hospital. All this in stark contrast to the pretty nicely done intro cutscene.

On top of that, the graphics are terrible. Seriously I maxed everything out and it looks like a game from the turn of the century. Why even bother having an option for anti-aliasing? To smooth out all the hard angles on every object?

So yeah, probably I will give this a miss right now. But I would be interested to see if other people have been enjoying it.
    "Give all your money to CoD. Give yourself to CoD. Play only CoD. There are no other games. Nothing else matters. Shoot the men. Shoot all the men. Shoot them all the time."

Editor, Control Command Escape

Steam | Raptr

Activated Node
    I must say, the first 10 levels at least were a disappointment, no evolution on the mmo genre. We'll see if anything changes but it's all uninvolved levelling and more skills than are possible to use. Cover is fiddly and often goes unused.

The voice acting is of a good standard but I don't want to have a long conversation everytime I start a quest in an MMO. As it is I wouldn't recommend anyone spend money on it. Wait for the single player version :p

Happy to hear if anyone really enjoyed it though.
    saos.posterous.com for knowledge

I'm impressed that they've managed to out-do Star Trek in 'alien forehead of the week' syndrome.

Lesser Hivemind Node TillEulenspiegel's Avatar
    S'okay.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjafoodstuff View Post
    The voice acting is generally pretty good
    Quote Originally Posted by arienette View Post
    The voice acting is of a good standard
    Eh. It varies in quality from average to poor, IMO. So does the writing.

I think VTM: Bloodlines is my gold standard for videogames on both counts, and SWTOR doesn't get anywhere near that.

I get my beta entry in 10 minutes. (Finally, I applied the day it opened.)

I'm actually hoping it's as uninspiring as I've heard a few people claim, as I take issue with many of the choices they've made regarding certain exclusive game content that comes with the more expensive editions. I'd hate to have to compromise and buy into that due to the game somehow actually being worth paying to play... ;)

I'm enjoying it, personally. Maybe it's because I'm playing evil and a ranged character, though- whiny NPCs can be shot inna head, and combat isn't such a problem. The voice acting has been a nice addition, and the physic in combat has been quite good as well. I wont be subscribing probably, but once it goes FTP I'll come back.

Yeah, it's basically WoW with better graphics and the "BioWare Conversation SubGame"(tm) built in, for better and for worse.

At first I was like, "w00t". 10 minutes later I was waiting in a disorderly queue for a stupid quest objective to respawn, and it was like 2004 all over again.

That's it. one hour and twenty minutes, and I'm bored to tears. Spent most of the game on auto-pilot, I actually completely forgot I was beta-testing The Old Republic for about 40 minutes.

The use of voiced cut-scenes is a development, but not a good enough one to offset the banality of the fetch-quests on offer. There may or may not be a good story buried somewhere deep in there, but the cut-scenes I sat through were just animated versions of the less-interesting quest-texts of WoW. There was no urgency, or over-arching plot driving me onto the next stage, it was just "Hello. I need you to get four things from somewhere. What do you think of that?".

I'd happily recommend it for somebody who's reasonably new to the genre, but for those who are tiring of their EverQuest-inspired Theme-Park MMO of choice and looking for the next big thing, I would urge caution.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Skalpadda's Avatar
    Anyone else getting lots of texture pop-in and short loading times (only a few seconds, but it adds up) before every conversation? I'm thinking it just hates my PC.

Not very impressed by the game itself so far. The animations are pretty bad, the locations feel oddly empty, The dialogue is decent but it's only purpose is to get you out there killing/collecting/activating X of Y and after about 10 minutes I got stuck between three rocks in a perpetual falling animation and had to roll another character (there's a /stuck command that makes you suicide to get out of that sort of thing but I didn't know that at the time).

90% of the enemies come in groups of 3 for some reason. Not really a criticism, just a weird thing.

It probably didn't help my first impressions that I made a bounty hunter, who starts on Nal Hutta, a rusty-snot coloured world filled with rusty-snot coloured enemies and rusty-snot coloured lighting. It's supposed to be an awful place, but the minimalistic clean art direction just can't pull it off well.

The actual skill mechanics for the bounty hunter seem OK though, you get to explode things with diverse abilities that all interact with each other. That's probably the most positive impression I got from it. Might try another character as well before the beta weekend ends.

Don't know if this makes sense to people but my most base impression is that it feels like WoW without the warmth of Azeroth as a world.

Quote Originally Posted by Skalpadda View Post
    Anyone else getting lots of texture pop-in and short loading times (only a few seconds, but it adds up) before every conversation? I'm thinking it just hates my PC.
    I'm not experiencing that, but I am loading it from a fast SSD.

It probably didn't help my first impressions that I made a bounty hunter, who starts on Nal Hutta, a rusty-snot coloured world filled with rusty-snot coloured enemies and rusty-snot coloured lighting. It's supposed to be an awful place, but the minimalistic clean art direction just can't pull it off well.

The actual skill mechanics for the bounty hunter seem OK though, you get to explode things with diverse abilities that all interact with each other. That's probably the most positive impression I got from it. Might try another character as well before the beta weekend ends.
    I was playing as a Jedi Consular, (That being the class I least wanted to play, figuring I'd rather start fresh when I started the game proper) and the green fields and Jedi Temple were quite colourful, if generic. The skill mechanics themselves were quite dull, though. You had to spam a button for each melee swing, (even for the basic "auto-attack" equivalent) or cast some very short-ranged "fireballs" that appear to drag a random item from underground each time and chuck it.

Don't know if this makes sense to people but my most base impression is that it feels like WoW without the warmth of Azeroth as a world.
    Whenever I get nostalgic longings for World of Warcraft, I have to remind myself that it's the world itself I miss, rather than the gameplay or the people. I don't think that Azeroth has ever been bettered, MMO-wise.

Network Hub
    Played it for about one and a half hours today, not impressed at all. If you ever played WoW, this just feels the same with a different skin, somewhat better story telling and (somehow) worse animation and art quality. Movement, combat and control just don't feel very smooth, and the gameplay ist just your standard MMO fare - use skill 1 to 5, kill monster X, collect item Y, rescue NPC z.

Network Hub
    Wrong reply in the poll, answer is what has already been said, meh. Pretty dull, voice acting and dialogue aren't enough to make it particularly interesting. Only plus is its running with no problems whatsoever.

Lesser Hivemind Node DigitalSignalX's Avatar
    I debated on installing for the weekend, but after watching a couple hours of "lets play" style walk through videos my impression is soured enough not to want to put aside Skyrim. I too was hoping for a spiritual successor to KOTOR, and it clearly is not. The combat is 100% MMO in that it's like everyone is holding NERF™ style weapons with flashy effects and then falls over when the health bar gets to zero. There's nothing visceral or rewarding about it like there is in the previous single player games. The voice work is nice, but it's all still MMO with very little context for who your character is.
    All times I have enjoyed greatly, have suffered greatly, both with those that loved me, and alone.

Yeah. Personally I'm not going to get it. It's a wow/everquest/whatever clone with voice acting. I'm really disappointed that they put that same shit combat system in the game, that game looks very simplistic like visually they haven't really put any effort to it, bland oblivion-tier animations, expressionless faces, shitty fucking dialogue (can't say general writing cuz I'm only lvl 12 but I can't believe they went with the fucking wheel and SMUG DOUCHE DIALOGUE OPTION for everybody) - it all just ruins it for me.

Sound is good tho, only thing that resembles KOTOR or Star Wars in general. Also I gotta say this is the first time I can give a shit about a story in an MMO because they actually worked on presenting it but that's about it.
    Last edited by Mihkel; 26-11-2011 at 07:49 PM.

I gave the Smuggler a quick go, just out of curiosity.

It's a considerably better offering than the Jedi equivalents. The mechanics are a bit more fun, too. It's still not enough to sell me on the game, but it's not the disaster that the melee classes seem to be.

I dunno, maybe it's because I made my character look kinda like Guybrush Threepwood, but with friendly mutton-chops...

Activated Node
    I had a good go at it today as a Bounty hunter.

The stuff I liked:

• Voice acting is fantastic in certain places.
    • Lots of locations and lots of side quests
    • Rewards for helping other players is a nice touch.
    • Like the way you train and level up your companions.

What I didn't like:

• Fetch quests (there is quite a lot of them on the early levels)
    • Graphics, max settings everything up to full and I think KOTOR 1 had better graphics!
    • Bugs, I had a hell of a lot today but it is beta. Still this close to release, they will not be fixed.

Finally I thought it is a good game. I can forgive the graphics on this one but it would have been nice for it to look as though its not made in 2004.
    May buy it, as the way I see it the 30 days playtime would let me complete most of the main quests.

Maybe they had to make being a jedi shite in order to stop everyone from being an Obi-Wan Kenobi clone.

Quote Originally Posted by Taidan View Post
    it's basically WoW with better graphics
    WoW with worse graphics, perhaps.

Quote Originally Posted by Rii View Post
    WoW with worse graphics, perhaps.
    Fine. If you want to quibble, it's WoW with more advanced graphical technologies, yet inferior artistic vision.

You know what my most damning criticism of the game is right now? Not that it's boring, or visually generic, or that it lacks innovation in certain areas and actually regresses in unpleasant ways in others.

It's that the most interesting new thing that it does bring to the table, the Light Side/Dark Side choices, doesn't bloody work. At all.

Half the time, you don't get any signposting as to whether or not you're even making the right choice, making which path you choose almost completely random. "Character A" makes one claim, "Character B" says the opposite, then you're forced to make a choice. Light Side or Dark Side depends not on a moral choice you make, but which potential liar you go with.

Half the times I actually made the correct moral choice, (eg. Return the stolen medical supplies to the soldier who originally owned them, who needs to save a comrade who's in critical condition, rather than handing them over to the thief to help the child with the cough) I got "punished" with Dark Side points.

It wouldn't be the end of the world, but for the fact that it's firstly unsatisfying in terms of "roleplaying", and secondly, apparently if you don't go either full Dark Side or Light Side, you miss out on powerful gear and good storylines that happen later in the game.
    Last edited by Taidan; 27-11-2011 at 11:13 AM.

Still unconvinced. I don't think WoW gives away any ground in terms of technology either.
    Last edited by Rii; 27-11-2011 at 11:34 AM.