Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by TillEulenspiegel View Post
    Given that nobody could possibly "like" EA's recent behavior, that seems the only sensible decision.
    Yup. OT: I swore I'd never buy another EA game after Hot Pursuit, but broke that oath for BF3. I really should have known better, it's a crushing disappointment disguised by flashy presentation.

Network Hub
    No, because then they'd be giving a single word out of context.
    And? your being banned do they really need to give it in context or do they just need to get the reason you were banned across in a straight forward manner? Would still like to see what it was a reply to to get it in context and all.

Some inappropriate language can be entirely appropriate when used on it's own.
    Not on the EA board

I can only assume that your defence of this undefendable situation and your "quit crying" language is an obvious attempt at trolling. So quit crying about this person's quite reasonable outrage at their unfair behaviour, and GTFO.
    You accept a T&C you then bend over and take it or you don't accept the T&C and don't bend over and take it

Its not hard to understand.

Network Hub
    It seems EA is trying really hard to get people out of their forum. If every post puts you in danger of an account suspension, people will stop posting there sooner or later.

You accept a T&C you then bend over and take it or you don't accept the T&C and don't bend over and take it

That doesn't make EA's practice any less ridiculous, and every player banned for something stupid like that has every right to complain. Maybe bad publicity will force EA to at least consider changing such stupid rules. If everyone just 'bends over and takes it', how is anything going to change? (excluding not buying EA games in the first place, which might actually be a good idea)
    Last edited by Subatomic; 26-11-2011 at 06:26 PM.

Not that anyone would want to risk their BF3 access, but it'd be kinda amusing to try and trigger these bans in as innocent a way as possible, say start a thread about your new donkey and share links to myass.jpg and such. Actually I should imagine if all it takes is one accidental use of what one crotchety mod may consider a swear, or offensive, people could be easily trolled into bans left and right.

Quote Originally Posted by psyk View Post

You may be the sort of person who just bends over, but luckily for us, there are still people out there who are willing to fight for what is right. I'll be damned if I'm going to miss out on Mass Effect 3 just because people like you display attitudes like that, and I'll be damned if they drive me to casual piracy.

If the T&C says that they can take their game away from you for no reason whatsoever, with no justification, then you don't just bend over and take it.

You contact RPS, and they run an embarrassing story on it, and "Reach out to EA for comment".

As much as I find this ridiculous, the posters above me are correct - Every time one signs the EULA, T&C etc, you agree to be subject to their rules.

Network Hub
    I've been banned from xbox live a few times one of the times was for constructing a sentance with some words replaced with ** someone I know has been banned for having the word nipples in their bio both of those are covered by the T&Cs that MS have in place. We don't get to decide what the rules they have put down cover.

If the T&C says that they can take their game away from you for no reason whatsoever, with no justification, then you don't just bend over and take it.
    DON'T BUY THE GAME and then complain or just don't accept the T&C and send it back, don't buy the game agree with the T&C then complain about what you have agreed with.

Heiniken22 suck it up, your 72 hour ban will be over soon.
    Last edited by psyk; 26-11-2011 at 06:43 PM.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Taidan View Post
    You may be the sort of person who just bends over, but luckily for us, there are still people out there who are willing to fight for what is right. I'll be damned if I'm going to miss out on Mass Effect 3 just because people like you display attitudes like that, and I'll be damned if they drive me to casual piracy.

You contact RPS, and they run an embarrassing story on it, and "Reach out to EA for comment".
    I missed out on ME2 and will happily miss out on ME3 because they're EA games. Likewise I'd love to build a ranch in The Sims 3: Pets but it's an EA game. If you object that strongly you accept that no game is worth compromising your morals for, certainly not by wetly trying to embarrass them into being "nice" in the media. They'll still be the same bastards behind their nicely worded press release apologizing.

I did ask earlier if just refusing to be their customer is a similarly bold if ultimately pointless when it came to companies whose practices I disagreed with. The problem alas does lie in the fact that the overwhelming majority will just "take it" as they've decided Manshoot 7: The Shootening is more important than their rights or beliefs.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    I don't post on Valve nor EA forums for that very reason. Eventually, I've been banned from just about every forum I've ever posted on (knock on wood) but, thankfully, the forums tied to games accounts - as is the case with my many MMO subscriptions - have never banned me from the game due to my actions on the forums.

It is an unconscionable, stupid practice to ban somebody from the game due to forum impropriety, especially when it is painfully clear that your moderators over-rely on word filters to the ignorance of context.
    Last edited by Nalano; 26-11-2011 at 07:39 PM.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus thegooseking's Avatar
    One thing I've learned from hanging around MMO forums is that people behave differently in a game to how they behave on a forum. Presupposing that if they're disruptive in a forum, they're going to be disruptive in multiplayer is just plain wrong. Banning people from single-player because of disruption on a forum is unambiguously reprehensible, but banning them from multiplayer... Although I can see the thinking behind it, and that makes me a little less outraged at it, that doesn't change the fact that it's still wrong. It's based on false assumptions.

A forum ban should be a forum ban, and nothing more.

That's to say nothing of whether the OP should have had a forum ban. Reminds me of the quote on bash.org (that I'm not going to dig out) where someone on a Christian IRC channel managed to get the Bible bot autobanned by asking it to quote a verse (Numbers 22:23, I think) with the word 'ass' in it.
    "Moronic cynicism is a kind of na´vetÚ. It's na´vetÚ turned inside-out. Na´vetÚ wearing a sneer." -Momus

Quote Originally Posted by thegooseking View Post
    One thing I've learned from hanging around MMO forums is that people behave differently in a game to how they behave on a forum.
    Well, the main difference I've noticed is that, in PvE-oriented games where player interaction is substantively limited, players tend to act out their frustrations with their fellow man by being hostile and passive aggressive on the forums. Self-styled "gankers" tend to fight it out with (strong) words, and self-styled "carebears" tend to report anybody with a differing opinion.

It's as if it's offensive to them - after having blocked all distasteful players from their game - to be accosted with a differing opinion on the forum!
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Network Hub
    The two are connected and who gives a shit about being banned from a forum when you can make a new account and be back on in under a min? at least with the included game ban it actually is a punishment for breaking the T&C that you agreed with.

Lesser Hivemind Node DigitalSignalX's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Memph View Post
    as conducive to the discussion as posting a random lolcat.jpg
    Challenge accepted:

All times I have enjoyed greatly, have suffered greatly, both with those that loved me, and alone.

Lesser Hivemind Node TillEulenspiegel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thegooseking View Post
    Presupposing that if they're disruptive in a forum
    "Disruptive" is one thing, abusive is another. Handing out multiplayer bans for serious abuse on a forum is justifiable, I would argue.

But enforcing *any* kind of ban for mild, inoffensive swearing is mind-bogglingly stupid. This is a forum for an 18+ game, not for children. If you really must insist on scrubbing normal words out of conversation for no apparent reason, at *least* give warnings first.

Quote Originally Posted by psyk View Post
    The two are connected and who gives a shit about being banned from a forum when you can make a new account and be back on in under a min?
    MMO forum accounts are tied to game accounts. You can't make a new account. And in forums like this, where you can make as many new accounts as you want, that ability is not abused nearly as much as you would imply.

Also, nobody pays for the forums. They pay for the game. To block them from what they paid for because of some unrelated extra is not good policy.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Having a look on your Battlelog profile, your posts seem to be pretty sturdy. My only thinking is that it uses the same language filter as on the EA UK forums, which is functionally quite poor. The ass comes up, you pop up, ban. That, however, would be immensely strict and unnecessary (usually the filter just censors it). As it goes, I can't find the particular post, but that may be because it's been deleted. So yeah. What a bizarre move.

You have my sympathies. Germany is quite bad-ass and I say that as someone who doesn't live there.