Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar

Games with LAN multiplayer for roughly three players.

Me and my brothers are looking for multiplayer games. We are looking for any game that will run on Windows XP without any hassle, supports three or four players (and more importantly, caters towards those numbers), does not require us to buy multiple copies of the same game (So basic LAN functionality, like AoE and COD4 and such do it) and is not Age of Empires or Empire Earth (Because we have been playing Age of Empires all the time now). It may be any game, of any genre, as long as it follows the aforementioned criteria.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Either one of the Dawn of War games.

Warcraft 3+Warlocks custom map

Network Hub
    I'm pretty sure that Project Eden would be good choice... it came out in 2001 so it'll support XP, it's multiplayer focused (up to four) and it would be an ideal LAN game as it's about a team of four characters solving puzzles together so communication is key. If you don't have four players you can switch between them and give them simple tasks under AI control.

you could also try borderlands (though I'm unsure if it supports multiple people working of 1 CD key) I do know that that it's great fun with multiple people.
    Official RPS Thread argument catalyst.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    You're not going to have much luck playing LAN with one disc to share around since almost every game that comes out these days requires some form of online activation.

Freelancer?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Trine is specifically for 3 people, Capsized is good and easy to understand, but still quite deep, those are both 1 system coop. Magicka can be one system, LAN or online coop. Alien swarm is free but multi system only.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Lesser Hivemind Node DigitalSignalX's Avatar
    Magika is so much fun in the same room. Highly recommend it.
    All times I have enjoyed greatly, have suffered greatly, both with those that loved me, and alone.

Network Hub Peter Radiator Full Pig's Avatar
    I believe Borderlands fufills your requirements, though to get 3 people from the same game would mean you would have to install it seperate and then make a game with 3 different gamespy accounts, though i have some memories of using the same game lan with my brother, we might of had to join a game we made.

Look up the website co-optimus. Its designed to give you suggestions about co op games.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Jamestown will work on one PC with K/M and three controllers.

I'm surprised no one mentioned Doom with the Skulltag source port yet. Maybe with a cooperative wad (that's how Doom's mods are called) it could be a lot of fun in lan.

DOOM!

Oh, and if you want some modern-er stuff you could possibly check out Serious Sam 3. I think it supports lan too, even if I'm not 100% sure. It should have.

Also: if you guys are serious Star Trek geeks and have some time to spare to learn stuff, you could check out Artemis Bridge Simulator. With one bought license I think you are able to share the game up to six people and be on your way to command a REAL fictional starship!

3 (or 2) players is the exact configuration of most of my LANs :D

But I'm afraid the "not requires multiple copies" is a bit too restrictive.

What we've enjoyed in our threesome/twosome LANs:
    - Stronghold (although it often led to deadlock situations where both last players' castles were untakable)
    - Terraria
    - Serious Sam Co-op
    - Left 4 Dead (although it makes it slightly more difficult... the bot of the 4th survivor can be fast and accurate, but also frigging dumb)
    - HL2 co-op mods (http://synergymod.net/ & http://www.moddb.com/mods/follow-fre...lf-life-2-coop)
    - Sins of a Solar Empire

We still have to try Alien Swarm and AI War (oh and Splinter Cell Chaos Theory)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalSignalX View Post
    Magika is so much fun in the same room. Highly recommend it.
    Does it require me to buy multiple copies, or can we LAN together using the same copy / key?

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
    Does it require me to buy multiple copies, or can we LAN together using the same copy / key?
    It's a Steamworks game, so it should be multiple copies unless you can get offline mode working on all the computers with the same account (in which case multiplayer may not even work correctly).

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Radiator Full Pig View Post
    I believe Borderlands fufills your requirements, though to get 3 people from the same game would mean you would have to install it seperate and then make a game with 3 different gamespy accounts, though i have some memories of using the same game lan with my brother, we might of had to join a game we made.

Look up the website co-optimus. Its designed to give you suggestions about co op games.
    You don't need three accounts. You don't even need to be connected to Gamespy for local LAN.

Lesser Hivemind Node DigitalSignalX's Avatar
    Here's two good links for info on hosting Magicka games, I have no idea about using the same copy, my experience was with three separate owners on laptops with a wireless router that was also connected to the internet. So not sure after we filtered ping to 50 or less if it was still checking local or internet as well, but our host game ID came up immediately.

http://magickatips.com/2011/02/how-t...-magicka-game/
    http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=1739191
    All times I have enjoyed greatly, have suffered greatly, both with those that loved me, and alone.