Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    Don't forget Transformers, Dancing with the Stars, reality TV hags, horrible chain restaurants, dead eyed presenters blaring at you to buy things, Need for Speed, and shows about crazy egomaniacs who are on television because they're objectively bad people.

I almost forgot about movies that cost hundreds of millions of dollars to make and are based on lukewarm nostalgia for well recognized 80s television shows that were of poor quality.
    Last edited by Smashbox; 28-11-2011 at 10:27 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smashbox View Post
    horrible chain restaurants
    If popularity = quality, McDonald's would be considered top American cuisine.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Yes, of course I did. I was lamenting; not attacking you.
    Sorry, just wanted to make sure :)

Quote Originally Posted by Mihkel View Post
    But what I mean with Dragon Age: Origins being a niche title I mean that It's a very traditional RPG. It has your stats, lotsa equipment, character creation, very basic fantasy world with a savior of something or other plotline and all this stuff that makes it very appealing to a certain audience and not that appealing to other.
    I suppose it is slightly more "traditional" in that it's not an action RPG ("guns and conversation") but it's not hardcore D&D or Wizardry-style, which I think is a better descriptor for niche titles. It had a mass appeal and was a fairly typical Western RPG for the most part... which they proceeded to completely ignore for the "sequel" which went on about nothing at all.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smashbox View Post
    I almost forgot about movies that cost hundreds of millions of dollars to make and are based on lukewarm nostalgia for well recognized 80s television shows that were of poor quality.
    That was the first thing you mentioned ;)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    If popularity = quality, McDonald's would be considered top American cuisine.
    Have you tried any typical american foods better than a McWhatever? Seriously, roastbeef or roasted beef is something my mom prepares every time she has half an hour for cooking. Stuffed frozen turkey? stop joking, you silly.

Quote Originally Posted by pakoito View Post
    Have you tried any typical american foods better than a McWhatever? Seriously, roastbeef or roasted beef is something my mom prepares every time she has half an hour for cooking. Stuffed frozen turkey? stop joking, you silly.
    ...what?

10char
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalSignalX View Post
    Consoles, and the people who only play consoles. When someone posts "Hi, I'm new to gaming on a PC" a part of me dies inside.
    True story: a year or so ago I was speaking with a coworker who was twenty two years old at the time about music. This person seems to listen only to pop music. I mentioned The Beatles and their response was "Oh, I've heard of them." I too died a little that day.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TillEulenspiegel View Post
    Bland mediocrity is far, far more common. The shared experience is now The X Factor and American Idol. And Modern Warfare 3.
    I'm happy to say not with me. I often feel quite alone at work and with my family while being surrounded by people.

...what?

10char
    Rephrase. What's the best typical american food?

Quote Originally Posted by Fumarole View Post
    I'm happy to say not with me. I often feel quite alone at work and with my family while being surrounded by people.
    I've heard this one before.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    The best food is quesadilla.

As long as this topic is losing any semblance of its original intent

Network Hub
    As an example, how many of the TV series you love are hugely popular, in the prime slots on broadcast stations? How much of the music you love gets played on top 40 radio stations?
    I can't afford TV and I live in a basement with no radio reception, so, cop-out though it is, I can't directly answer that question. I don't really follow 'current' trends, anyway; it's way cheaper to play cultural catch-up, and there's about fifty years of accesibly modern media to choose from. And a lot of the stuff I quite like was, in fact, hugely popular in its day.

While it's possible to create truly great media that everyone loves, it's extraordinarily rare. Bland mediocrity is far, far more common. The shared experience is now The X Factor and American Idol. And Modern Warfare 3.
    Yes - exactly that - it IS possible. Rarity notwithstanding (and I'd certainly never deny that rarity!). I happen to think American Idol is pure shit, but the Nielson ratings are pretty fucking flawed, so while I think it might just be on top regardless I don't trust the numbers. I don't know how many copies MW3 sold on PC either, but I bet you it's a lot less than a lot of other recent and much better titles.

The other point I could make is more that the best works are those that don't much worry about their audience. Make something good and it'll have plenty of appeal. "Trying to appeal to everyone" doesn't mean "dumbing down", or it shouldn't, or, and perhaps this is the better way to say it, it shouldn't have to. Last but not least, least objectionable isn't going to win any awards, but creating ain't free, so I expect some filler.

Meh. I'm just trying not to condemn too broadly. People (myself included) like plenty of shit, but nobody likes all shit all the time, and having good taste (which I arrogantly and for all I know foolishly consider myself to have) only means you like shit less of the time - we wouldn't have the phrase 'guilty pleasure' otherwise.

Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Lesser Hivemind Node TillEulenspiegel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cjlr View Post
    The other point I could make is more that the best works are those that don't much worry about their audience. Make something good and it'll have plenty of appeal.
    Yes, precisely. Make great stuff and you'll find an audience; usually a big one if it's really great.

Focusing on the audience first is well and good for practical products, but it's death to any creative endeavor. You can definitely achieve commercial success by being a hack, but can you create anything of lasting value? Almost certainly not.

Pumpkin pie. (I can't get the canned pumpkin in Germany, and I'm too lazy to make it myself.) Chocolate chip cookies.

Other than baked goods, most decent "American food" isn't really American, it's derivative of stuff made better elsewhere, like Italy or Mexico.

Pumpkin pie. (I can't get the canned pumpkin in Germany, and I'm too lazy to make it myself.) Chocolate chip cookies.

Other than baked goods, most decent "American food" isn't really American, it's derivative of stuff made better elsewhere, like Italy or Mexico.
    Precisely, and even their typical food is just food for lazy bad cookers. Cut (most of the time buy cutted), mix, bake.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    Mmmm, British food.