Network Hub

What to do with a spare SSD.

so, a little while ago I was lucky enough to grab a massive bargain on a Crucial SSD, which was much better than my old Intel one.

It does mean however that I now have a 2.5inch, 40GB sata SSD just lying around gathering dust, and it isn't really worth selling on ebay now that the SATA 6GB stuff is out.

Any ideas of what to do with it? I thought about an external drive, maybe for my Phone (Galaxy SII) or sticking it in a laptop, but size limits what I can do with it.

Thoughts?

40 GB does limit things, but if you stick it in a laptop you could really try and optimise boot times to get a machine purely for net access and media streaming. In practical terms though a tablet would probably be better suited to that kind of task nowadays.

I'm terrible for advice though, I have tonnes of drives (HD, not SDD) kicking around that I've never done anything with. One is an encrypted drive in my PC, the rest are just lying around.
    My Blog|Steam|GW2 Main: Chakan Khimar

you could use it as a dedicated steam dump?

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by slick_101 View Post
    you could use it as a dedicated steam dump?
    you want me to do WHAT on my hard disk?! (I read it as take a dump on it)

I'm thinking using it as an external and seeing how I go with it maybe.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamikaze-X View Post
    you want me to do WHAT on my hard disk?! (I read it as take a dump on it)

I'm thinking using it as an external and seeing how I go with it maybe.
    He means a drive dedicated to games (Steam being the digital distribution service). I vote for sticking it in a laptop/netbook, media center, or server. An SSD is a bit big for a phone and you gain little out of using it as an external given that you can get a 32GB+ thumbdrive for cheap these days (though you could use it as a portable gaming drive if you game on multiple machines).

About the best use that springs to mind for me for something like that is that you could put it in a PS3 if you own one - IIRC they use standard 2.5 SATA drives. You may be trading space for speed of course depending on what model you plumped for originally but the article I read that covered this thought the speed increase was definately worthwhile.

Don't know if you can do the same trick with a 360?

Other than that give it a good nuke and ebay - http://www.iishacks.com/2009/06/30/h...ate-drive-ssd/

Network Hub
    No games console for me, all up PC fanboy.

I'd just use Hirens UBD to wipe it anyway.

Obscure Node
    Give it to me of course. You'll get a cookie!

Obscure Node
    If you've got a bunch of spare time, you could run Soluto (or something equivalent) to figure out where most of your boot is being spent, and then move + symlink all of those programs over to the SSD: you'll ensure that the 40 gB limit is enforced (as you'll be moving these things by hand) while reaping the massively reduced boot time (in addition to the new drive being very fast, if the maximum throughput on your cable isn't being exceeded by 'one' drive, two drives being accessed in parallel should bump it mighty close).