Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar

Skyrim gives me horrible nightmares (really)

For the past 10 days or so, I had really bad dreams and they just get worse. Most of them have something to do with Skyrim. I don't remember many as I just shrugged them off for a while, but this weekend it got especially shitty.

There are four main categories:

1. I talk to someone about Skyrim and it all turns into a Tarsem-style nightmare. Thinking about them now it's actually funny but... Saturday I was dreaming that I was chatting online with my favourite teacher from university (haven't seen her in a long time lol) and she was recommending the game. And I was like "I know, I'm playing it too" blah-blah-blah and we talked about the skill system (??!!) and then she told me to call her.
    So I pick up the phone and a dude answers. He tricks me into translating something for a newspaper... and then I'm stuck in an infinite loop of translating stuff. Wut. I'm also suddenly in a cold wooden cabin and there's a blizzard ouside. I'm stuck at the workbench translating little pieces of paper until the end of times :/

2. I am in Skyrim and I basically have the same adventures as in-game, except that it feels real and scares the crap out of me. Fucking bears. Also lizard-people are pretty damn scary when you think they're real.

3. This is by far the worst - the world of Skyrim bleeds into real life. Sunday I was dreaming that I was in an abandoned mansion with my friends and we were ressurecting a draugr king. For the record, I never attempted to do that in-game. The draugr was fucking horrible, unlike the game equivalent, a half-melted mass of bone and rotting flesh. If it were a movie I'd say it looked awesome, but alas, it felt too real to say that. I noticed him taking a deep breath and then he attempted to crawl out of the bandages wrapped around his lower body. Spoiler: watching a body come to life is FUCKING TERRIFYING. So I was shitting myself while my friends were laughing at the draugr. His movements were driving me insane, it was like those videos of insects crawling out of a living host. I suspect the leaked Prometheus trailer influenced this dream, but goddamn.
    Anyway we eventually jumped out the second story window and ran out of the city. We stopped at a gas station in the mountains and I was paranoid that the draugr was coming for us. Eventually I got so scared (despite nothing at all happening - or because of that) that I realised it's just a dream and woke up.

4. Unrelated, but I blame Skyrim.

-------------
    The funny thing is, a friend of mine that plays Skyrim also told me about nightmares he had these days. COINCIDENCE?

At this point I'm starting to think those Christian reviews (including those that are serious) are on to something here. Why the fuck is a game affecting me so much? I like it, but not THAT much. I played about 35 hours across 10 days, which is less than other games I never had nightmares about.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Come talk to me when you've been raped by Hagravens.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    IT'S DAWNSTAR ALL OVER AGAIN o_o

Network Hub
    Stop playing skyrim for more than a few hours a day?

Pull yourself together, man! Get a hold of yourself!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Skalpadda's Avatar
    I've had the odd dream about Skyrim. None of them have been scary, but then they've very clearly been Skyrim dreams and not a case of the game hideously leaking into real life.

My last dream involving skyrim conflated it with minecraft and I used a pickaxe to burrow into the bottom of the world where I found Sotha Sil except he was an ordinary computer programmer.

Dreams are reckoned to be a way for the brain to sort short term memories into long term memories. Whether that's true or not we tend to dream about what we did during the day. Try limiting your Skyrim to earlier in the evening and see if that helps.
    "A victory so bitter it would be better we had not won," --General Transh

The Devpit: For all your literature, gaming, IT and defenestration needs.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Skalpadda View Post
    I've had the odd dream about Skyrim. None of them have been scary, but then they've very clearly been Skyrim dreams and not a case of the game hideously leaking into real life.
    I thought Viking dreams to Swedes were as common as sex dreams to a nymphomaniac.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Vexing Vision's Avatar
    I'll trade you your dreams for mine instantly. Those sound AWESOME.
    My games-related Twitter: VexingVision

Currently playing: Hearthstone; Blood Bowl; Dominions 4
    Currently waiting for: Wildstar; Darkest Dungeon

lol, this is funny as hell :D

Lesser Hivemind Node westyfield's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gundrea View Post
    Try limiting your Skyrim to earlier in the evening and see if that helps.
    Yeah, I find that whatever I watch, read or play before going to bed tends to seep into my dreams. Been having a lot of BF3 dreams recently.

If I play Skyrim quickly followed by BF3 what do you think my chances are of dreaming about taking a dragon out with a stinger?

Fucking dragons, with their IR flares . . .
    Guild Wars 2: Infiltrator Dan / Cutthroat Dan / Vile Dan / Fervent Dan

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Skalpadda's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    I thought Viking dreams to Swedes were as common as sex dreams to a nymphomaniac.
    That explains the viking sex dreams.

Lesser Hivemind Node westyfield's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Skalpadda View Post
    That explains the viking sex dreams.
    Technically it's rape and pillage, but if you want to call it sex that's fine.

I too have had the occasional dream about Skyrim. Nothing too exciting though since I can't remember the details. I guess I need to just play it less.
    "You go up to a man, and you say, "How are things going, Joe?" and he says, "Oh fine, fine — couldn't be better." And you look into his eyes, and you see things really couldn't be much worse. When you get right down to it, everybody's having a perfectly lousy time of it, and I mean everybody. And the hell of it is, nothing seems to help much." - Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

Lesser Hivemind Node DigitalSignalX's Avatar
    Been playing a metric crap ton of Skyrim, and about all I have had is dreams revolving around snow. Like camping out in the snow. Walking in a blizzard. Basically snow related stuff. This really isn't creepy at all, I love snow.
    All times I have enjoyed greatly, have suffered greatly, both with those that loved me, and alone.

Network Hub
    I never get nightmares. It's sad. :(

After meeting some pale dark-clad fellow near a misty pond that tried to suck me dry (and in the game), I had a bit of stressful night afterwards.