Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 42
  1. #21
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Lagoon West, Vermilion Sands
    Posts
    4,459
    Quote Originally Posted by GraveyardJimmy View Post
    Way to miss the point. He wasnt criticising you not liking the game. He's criticising you saying " it leaves me cold" as a reason for it not being on this years advent calander.
    Mr Bakke is always niggling at me in posts when he believes an opportunity presents itself, thus why "leaves me cold" apparently translates into 'dislikes', a position that must be challenged (none shall ever question the awesomeness of any indie game ever). The guy needs to realise he isn't the forum police. If he were truly concerned about the thread he'd of been taking issue with ntws earlier post. It's not business, it's personal. I get that.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

    Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

    Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

    Probable Replicant

    *blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me


    Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

    Persons of disinterest: Nalano, deano2099

  2. #22
    Lesser Hivemind Node DigitalSignalX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    USA, Missouri.
    Posts
    934
    On my list it would be Skyrim, but I think the RPS guys will go DX:HR because practically every single article for 5 years has mentioned Deus Ex directly or indirectly in the comments. Seriously, like 90% of every single post. I now this because I never completed Deus Ex and it twinges a little nub in the back of my brain every. single. time. someone mentions or compares anything else to Deus Ex.
    All times I have enjoyed greatly, have suffered greatly, both with those that loved me, and alone.

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    Forgive me though, I didn't realise expressing a personal opinion on an 'indie' game that isn't one of unadulterated gushing praise was somehow verboten. My bad.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    Mr Bakke is always niggling at me in posts when he believes an opportunity presents itself, thus why "leaves me cold" apparently translates into 'dislikes', a position that must be challenged (none shall ever question the awesomeness of any indie game ever). The guy needs to realise he isn't the forum police. If he were truly concerned about the thread he'd of been taking issue with ntws earlier post. It's not business, it's personal. I get that.
    Hey, let's calm down. I harbour no ill will towards you, and do not seek out things to criticise you on - I originally posted in this topic not because of the opinion (We all have opinions of course, which is key to great discussion), but because I disagreed on the point that it would be unlikely to reach the 24th this year (Assuming of course that it wasn't on the list last year.), due to the widescale success it's had in the gaming industry - I was slightly baffled that you would suggest it wouldn't appear on the list.

    Maybe this would have better represented my views:

    "I disagree, Kadayi. Over the past few years, RPS' writers have written extensively about Minecraft. They've had numerous features, news on patches, interviews, diaries and even posts on what you can do in Minecraft with the help of a Kinect. Furthermore, Minecraft has been financially successful, with over 3 million purchases. For this reason, I believe it will appear on the Christmas Calendar this year."

    I apologise if the original post may have seemed a little misleading. I certainly don't trawl the forums looking for anything that annoys me, from anyone. IIRC this is the first post of yours that I've actually replied to since the end of the old forums.


    EDIT: Regarding NTW's post, nothing immediately appeared 'wrong' about it. He stated that he thinks the writers will go for Skyrim. Sure, no explanation, but I agreed with him so I glossed over.

    Anyway, back to business.

    __

    For a while, I thought it would have been Batman: Arkham City that would have appeared on the 24th. But looking back, there's been quite a bit of criticism towards the writing (Bleed like a dead cat!) and the alleged sexism (Use of bitch etc.) in game.

    And considering the amount of posts that have been directed towards Skyrim, I'd agree with other posters in the thread that Skyrim is probably going to be the #1 game this year.

    Unless Jim *really* hates the interface that much. :P

    ___
    Last edited by Alex Bakke; 01-12-2011 at 10:36 PM.

  4. #24
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Lagoon West, Vermilion Sands
    Posts
    4,459
    For a while, I thought it would have been Batman: Arkham City that would have appeared on the 24th. But looking back, there's been quite a bit of criticism towards the writing (Bleed like a dead cat!) and the alleged sexism (Use of bitch etc.) in game.
    Albeit I've not played BM:AC yet, my understanding is that part of the reason why it's 'bitch this, bitch that' is because it's a PG game and that's (for better or worse) one of the few vaguely 'naughty' words you can get away with Vs your more traditional mature gaming dialogue. I'm sure developers Rocksteady would of loved to have put a few strong expletives in there, but that would never wash with DCs family friendly licencing terms for a start (personally I'd be down with Batman laying down some adult smack talk tbh).


    As regards Skyrim. Albeit I've sunk almost 100 hours into Skyrim now, and am really enjoying it as a gaming experience I just don't think it's doing enough beyond it's sheer enormity (building on the good work of Fallout 3) to take the top prize, Vs something like Saints Row 3 (which is pretty much redefining its space) or DX:HR which is bringing the new to a long lost game style. I think top prize has always got to go to something that is pushing outward. Case in point last year it went to Minecraft. Not my cup of tea, but I can understand why some people found it enchanting.
    Last edited by Kadayi; 02-12-2011 at 05:42 AM.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

    Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

    Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

    Probable Replicant

    *blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me


    Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

    Persons of disinterest: Nalano, deano2099

  5. #25
    Administrator Rossignol's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    256
    Give it a rest guys. Alex, Kad, I will ban you both for two weeks if you continue squabbling.

  6. #26
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Lagoon West, Vermilion Sands
    Posts
    4,459
    Quote Originally Posted by Rossignol View Post
    Give it a rest guys. Alex, Kad, I will ban you both for two weeks if you continue squabbling.
    Sure Jim. BTW there might be something up with your comments database. I posted something in the CS:GO beta article, and although I could see it 'in the Respond to our gibber' side panel, it's not showing in the actual comments (despite refreshes).
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

    Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

    Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

    Probable Replicant

    *blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me


    Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

    Persons of disinterest: Nalano, deano2099

  7. #27
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jockie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    North-East England
    Posts
    1,095
    My outside bet is probably Binding of Isaac, otherwise I'd guess at either The Witcher 2 or Skyrim, I'd guess that the Witcher 2 might just edge it on account of being PC exclusive (until next year at least).
    I write about them video games at these locations

    And on Twitter

  8. #28
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Vexing Vision's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Düsseldorf
    Posts
    1,791
    Given the amount of love-, hate- and poetry-articles Skyrim received, it's a pretty safe bet.

    But as safe bets are horribly boring, I'm placing my bet on Trine 2. Because if ever there was an argument that games are not art, or art-games have no real value of play, Trine 2 is the one to prove that yes, real games can be real art.
    NETWORKING 101 SIGNATURE INCOMING
    Playing games with each other makes for the best business contacts, so feel free to add me on LinkedIn.
    You should also follow me on Twitter.

  9. #29
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The Bishopric of Utrecht
    Posts
    2,029
    Crysis 2!

    (Always support the underdog :P)

  10. #30
    Lesser Hivemind Node Flint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Manchester / Finland
    Posts
    933
    I'd say DXHR and Skyrim are fairly safe bets for the final two, with DXHR rising as the victor because of all the UI/technical insanity in Skyrim pegging it down a notch.
    Give me steam and how you feel to make it real.

  11. #31
    Lesser Hivemind Node Juan Carlo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    667
    They seemed to really like Deus Ex and Skyrim. Somehow Skyrim seems too obvious at this point, so I suspect they will go for Deus Ex.

    Should be Witcher 2, I say.

  12. #32
    Obscure Node SirGeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    England
    Posts
    8
    I'm hoping for Terraria, if only because I've personally had tons of fun with it.

  13. #33
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Lagoon West, Vermilion Sands
    Posts
    4,459
    Quote Originally Posted by Juan Carlo View Post
    Should be Witcher 2, I say.
    Unfortunately not

    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011...s-11-day-four/

    Day four seems a little cruel (I'd of though it would be top 10 at least), however I think Jim makes some valid criticisms. Hopefully CDProjekt are listening.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

    Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

    Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

    Probable Replicant

    *blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me


    Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

    Persons of disinterest: Nalano, deano2099

  14. #34
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,638
    I thought the Witcher 2 was a good outside bet. I'd like to see some proper left-field but maybe could happen suggestions - I guess SpaceChem is on the mark then.

    As for "day four being a little cruel" - one of the hivemind would have to confirm, but I don't beleieve that the games of christmas are supposed to be a sorted list, other than number 24 being the RPS GotY

  15. #35
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Lagoon West, Vermilion Sands
    Posts
    4,459
    Past form seems to dictate a certain order to things.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

    Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

    Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

    Probable Replicant

    *blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me


    Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

    Persons of disinterest: Nalano, deano2099

  16. #36
    Activated Node Auspex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by Auspex View Post
    The Witcher 2 is my 'dark horse' pick.
    And this is why I no longer gamble.

  17. #37
    Activated Node Auspex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    Past form seems to dictate a certain order to things.
    I thought this was the case too but Horace is quite clear on this
    "They can be indie, mainstream, anything, just so long as they're PC and grabbed our attention in 2011. Then we put them into the calendar in no particular order."
    "Except for door 24, behind which is our unanimously voted game of the year. Can you guess what it will be? CAN YOU? Incorrect guesses anger Horace, so be careful"


    [Sorry for double post]

  18. #38
    Lesser Hivemind Node TailSwallower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Cold Toast, Straya
    Posts
    735
    The no particular order thing is interesting. I assumed it was best to bestestestest, but I guess that would have been extremely difficult to gauge (especially with RPS not using numbers to help delineate this sort of thing).

    As for Number 24, I'm leading towards it being Deus Ex or Skyrim. I think Portal 2 will be up near the top, just to keep us guessing, but I don't think it will take the top spot.
    weekendwarrio.rs - We've got more games than time...

  19. #39
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    171
    Trine 2 will be out in time, right? (Obviously I don't think so, but I would've liked to play it in time for Christmas).

    Deus ex seems like a good bet, but for some reason I didn't really get into it that much. There was just something missing... Also, I haven't played Skyrim so I don't really want to bet on it.

    I'll go with... Magicka. Once it had the bugs ironed out, that game was just brilliant. Its gotten quite a lot of DLC keeping it fresh and it seems like something all members of the Hivemind can enjoy.

  20. #40
    Lesser Hivemind Node DigitalSignalX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    USA, Missouri.
    Posts
    934
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011...s-11-day-four/

    Day four seems a little cruel (I'd of though it would be top 10 at least), however I think Jim makes some valid criticisms. Hopefully CDProjekt are listening.
    I was really surprised to see it so low on the list as well. Perhaps It's matter of day 24 being the only number 1, and all the rest are at the same degree of awesome? Otherwise yea, kind of cruel.
    All times I have enjoyed greatly, have suffered greatly, both with those that loved me, and alone.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •