Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Lesser Hivemind Node Drinking with Skeletons's Avatar

Obsidian's Next RPG Revealed

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news...South-Park-RPG

I know, it says that it's only for 360 & PS3, but based on Obsidian's history, I'd be extremely surprised if it wasn't released on PC as well.

Weird, weird news.

Banned
    Actually, before this, they're working on a Wheel of Time RPG.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Game Informer confirmed it's for PC as well.

Obsidian's not writing it, so I'm not interested.

Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    You mean we only get Obsidian's legendary bug-free code, combined with a story that someone else is writing, based on a cartoon I stopped watching a few years ago?

Where do I sign up?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodeen View Post
    You mean we only get Obsidian's legendary bug-free code, combined with a story that someone else is writing, based on a cartoon I stopped watching a few years ago?

Where do I sign up?
    I thought Dungeon Siege 3 wasn't buggy.
    And come on, it's a Flash RPG. How much can they screw it up?...

I thought Dungeon Siege 3 wasn't buggy.
    And come on, it's a Flash RPG. How much can they screw it up?...
    Ah, haven't played that one so I'll take your word for it.

As far as the flash thing, I'm really hoping that that is a second, concurrent project. Can you even "compile" flash games to run natively on Xbox and PS3? I know you can for iOS, but beyond that ...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    As far as the flash thing, I'm really hoping that that is a second, concurrent project. Can you even "compile" flash games to run natively on Xbox and PS3? I know you can for iOS, but beyond that ...
    Second? Obsidian's a bit bigger than that ;) This is probably a small team in a corner.

Network Hub
    I wield ye, mighty Mythbuster. Together, let us work wonders.

Today, the myth is that Obsidian games are buggy. This isn't true. It's more an unfortunate chain of events that lead to this myth.

- KoTOR II was unfinished due to it being rushed out of the door by a greedy publisher.

- NWN II had some multiplayer bugs due to it being somewhat rushed out the door, again, not Obsidian's fault. But nonetheless the single-player was bug free from start to finish. And I know, I played it on launch day. (It was, however, a very high-end engine. So it was Ultima VII all over again, and people bitching when their hardware wasn't up to the task.)

- Alpha Protocol was no more buggy than any AAA release these days.

- New Vegas was buggy, but that was largely due to Bethesda's Gamebryo engine. This is something that they worked to great lengths to fix up to some degree. There are even points in Obsidian's code where they sigh at the incompetence of Gamebryo, and I don't blame them. Regardless of this, New Vegas was nowhere near the buggy mess that Fallout 3 was at release.

- Dungeon Siege III, like Alpha Protocol, was built on their own engine and had next to no bugs. It was as bug free as any Valve game on its launch day, it was very polished.

There are popular developers out there that put out far, far buggier launch day games that I could name, but I won't. I don't want to start a flame war, here. I just had to clear this up, because this is utter nonsense. This is filed under 'should know better.'

Disagree? Go play Alpha Protocol and Dungeon Siege III.

It's very unfair to blame Obsidian for the mistakes of others.

---

Quote Originally Posted by Wizardry View Post
    NWN2 is mediocre while KotOR II is one of the worst I've ever played.
    John's not an un-player, but I'm starting to think that you are, Wizardry. :P The only thing that could be considered mediocre about NWN2 is the mind of the person playing it.

---

Really, to hate on Obsidian games, you'd have to be completely and utterly devoid of any romance and/or wonder, you'd have to have a null void where your imagination is, and you'd be unable to be inspired by just about anything. You'd have to be what the most two-dimensional, stereotypical view of an accountant is to most people, and then even more boring than that.

An "Organising my sock drawer is the most exciting thing I do each day!" sort of person. Which is utterly depressing, but I know that there are people out there like that.

Obsidian games are designed to appeal to those who're pretty much the diametric opposite of that. Have a heart? Empathy, romance... wonder? You'll dig Obsidian! Care only about mechanics, and numbers, and moving little men around boards? You'll hate Obsidian. Such is the way of things.
    Last edited by Wulf; 01-12-2011 at 11:13 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Wulf View Post
    John's not an un-player, but I'm starting to think that you are, Wizardry. :P The only thing that could be considered mediocre about NWN2 is the mind of the person playing it.
    What? It's a D&D game that gets combat completely wrong. Just compare its implementation of 3.5E combat to Troika's Temple of Elemental Evil.

Really, to hate on Obsidian games, you'd have to be completely and utterly devoid of any romance and/or wonder, you'd have to have a null void where your imagination is, and you'd be unable to be inspired by just about anything. You'd have to be what the most two-dimensional, stereotypical view of an accountant is to most people, and then even more boring than that.
    I lack imagination? Then explain to me why I regularly play CRPGs where characters are represented by a few dozen pixels.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    What? It's a D&D game that gets combat completely wrong. Just compare its implementation of 3.5E combat to Troika's Temple of Elemental Evil.
    Fixed. If I want a good story and good characters I'd read a book.
    Then if you want a really good implementation of 3.5E combat, why not play 3.5E.

Your entire argument around RPGs stems from deriving your definition from an entirely different medium: the PnP RPG. Then you dismiss story by saying another medium does it better.

I honestly don't see the appeal of just replicating PnP RPG on a computer, if I want that experience, I can just go and play D&D. Games like Mass Effect, Dragon Age, etc at least give me experiences I can't get anywhere else other than videogames.

Lesser Hivemind Node TillEulenspiegel's Avatar
    The only thing that could be considered mediocre about NWN2 is the mind of the person playing it.
    Of all the games to defend, NWN2? Seriously?

I played coop with a friend for about half the game, and we were both bored out of our minds. I know there's an extra campaign that everybody loves, but really, the main campaign in NWN2 is just awful. Poor writing, minimal challenge, and *so* much pointless backtracking.

It's hideously long, and there's absolutely no excuse for it. I thought you hated "padding".
    Last edited by TillEulenspiegel; 01-12-2011 at 11:34 PM.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by TillEulenspiegel View Post
    Of all the games to defend, NWN2? Seriously?
    Let's not forget about the terrific performance as well. :P Had to use point texture filtering with a decent GPU about the time it was released.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    - New Vegas was buggy, but that was largely due to Bethesda's Gamebryo engine. This is something that they worked to great lengths to fix up to some degree. There are even points in Obsidian's code where they sigh at the incompetence of Gamebryo, and I don't blame them. Regardless of this, New Vegas was nowhere near the buggy mess that Fallout 3 was at release.
    Gamebryo is not and never has been Bethesda's engine. They used NetImmersion for Morrowind, it became Gamebryo between that and Oblivion, and from then on they've used Gamebryo but it is not their engine.

They did break it, though.

Lesser Hivemind Node Juan Carlo's Avatar
    South Park has been subpar for the past 3 or 4 seasons.

However, this season has been very, very good. I don't know if Trey and Matt were reinvigorated by their Tony win, but there were a bunch of episodes this season on par with anything they've ever done.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    At least you understand that Obsidian absolutely sucks at creating RPGs.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    That's as maybe, but they're great at making the sort of games I want to play, that belong in that nebulous definition graveyard where a lot of games look alike but nobody can ever really agree on what they're called. And one of their big strengths is writing, so it's a bit silly that they aren't getting to do that. Why else would anyone get them to make the game?

Network Hub
    Nop, they're pretty good at it actually
    NWN2 and KotOR II, both great RPGs

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by kyrieee View Post
    Nop, they're pretty good at it actually
    NWN2 and KotOR II, both great RPGs

Network Hub
    Luckily your tastes have no correlation with game quality :)

KotOR II has one of the best characters in any RPG and a lot of the story elements are similar to Planescape: Torment. It's probably one of the best modern RPGs even despite its cut content.

- Alpha Protocol was no more buggy than any AAA release these days.
    That's bollocks. Maybe it wasn't buggy for you, but for me it was a complete mess with animations not working, enemies spawning infinitely in the same spot I just killed one etc. I had lots of problems with it.
    Last edited by kyrieee; 02-12-2011 at 01:18 AM.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    At least they are much, much better than Bioware.