Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Banned
    Why does Wizardry RUIN EVERY THREAD?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by R-F View Post
    Why does Wizardry RUIN EVERY THREAD?
    Why do I keep getting the blame when it quite clearly started elsewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by archonsod View Post
    See, the problem is Wizardry sucks at defining RPGs. It's usually better to just ignore him.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Wizardry View Post
    NWN2 is mediocre while KotOR II is one of the worst I've ever played.
    At least they are much, much better than Bioware.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    You kinda remind me of Cartman in Season 13 Episode 5.

There. A topical post.
    Last edited by Nalano; 02-12-2011 at 06:50 AM.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Activated Node
    Obsidian, whyyy?! I know developers need money, but still...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wulf View Post
    - New Vegas was buggy, but that was largely due to Bethesda's Gamebryo engine. This is something that they worked to great lengths to fix up to some degree. There are even points in Obsidian's code where they sigh at the incompetence of Gamebryo, and I don't blame them. Regardless of this, New Vegas was nowhere near the buggy mess that Fallout 3 was at release.
    Gamebryo is not and never has been Bethesda's engine. They used NetImmersion for Morrowind, it became Gamebryo between that and Oblivion, and from then on they've used Gamebryo but it is not their engine.

They did break it, though.

Lesser Hivemind Node Juan Carlo's Avatar
    South Park has been subpar for the past 3 or 4 seasons.

However, this season has been very, very good. I don't know if Trey and Matt were reinvigorated by their Tony win, but there were a bunch of episodes this season on par with anything they've ever done.

Banned
    Every thread, Wizardry. Every thread and every time it is a different person.

If you are the sole connecting factor between every argument, maybe YOU are the issue.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Er.... anyway... is South Park still going? I remember kind of enjoying it when I was in University - FOURTEEN YEARS AGO! Good grief now i feel old.... *cries*

ahem, anyway, I haven't seen or heard anything about South park for at least the last 5 years. I honestly assumed it ended about 8 years back.
    ---
    On a at-least-slightly-related topic - if Obsidian are working on a Wheel of Time RPG - has anyone read the last 2(?) Wheel of Time novels? Like most people, I got bored around book 4, but powered my way through to about 8 or 9. Then the guy kicked the bucket and I never heard whether it's worth going back for the last 2 to find out how it all ends. and whether I wasted all that time.

On the plus side, if the Wheel of Time RPG ends abruptly and nonsensically, it might not be Obsidian's fault for once.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TillEulenspiegel View Post
    Of all the games to defend, NWN2? Seriously?
    I have to agree. NWN2 has a poor story, uninspired villains, and a terrible terrible combat system. There are moments of genius in there like any Obsidian game (the castle and the party banter), but it's certainly not amongst Obsidian's best games. That would be Alpha Protocol and KotoR 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Shane View Post
    *Nods* That they are, Shane. That they are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Screwie's Avatar
    I still very much enjoy South Park.

After waning by season 7 or 8, it changed up its format, ditched the tired Kenny gag, introduced and reinforced several supporting characters and became a really good satirical show. It has good and bad episodes but as a whole it has aged much more gracefully than either The Simpsons or Family Guy.

South Park has honestly matured, not spoiled. This season alone has given us the surprisingly moving mid-season finale "You're Getting Old", which had such a strong sense of finality to it that people wondered if it really was the show's swansong.

Plus I appreciate that it's the only animated show which can be as topical as it is - because of the simple style they animate in a few days what would take other shows months to put together, so they can react to current news while it's still current. 15 seasons in and it's still on my regular watch list.

But having confessed all that, I still can't bring myself to get excited for this game. It just sounds a terrible idea. :(

Network Hub
    Fixed. If I want a good story and good characters I'd read a book.
    You heard it here first folks.
    Games have no business telling stories.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jockie's Avatar
    One of those ideas that is crazy enough that it just might work. I like Obsidian and I like South Park, they sound like a complete mis-match, but it can't be any worse than the South Park fps released on the N64 back in the day, with its yellow snowballs.

I agree that NWN2 OC wasn't the most amazing campaign, but Mask of the Betrayer story-wise and character-wise was very good. NWN2 is probably the game I've played most out of any game of all time, due to the Pw scene.
    I write about them video games at these locations

And on Twitter

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    What? It's a D&D game that gets combat completely wrong. Just compare its implementation of 3.5E combat to Troika's Temple of Elemental Evil.
    Fixed. If I want a good story and good characters I'd read a book.
    Then if you want a really good implementation of 3.5E combat, why not play 3.5E.

Your entire argument around RPGs stems from deriving your definition from an entirely different medium: the PnP RPG. Then you dismiss story by saying another medium does it better.

I honestly don't see the appeal of just replicating PnP RPG on a computer, if I want that experience, I can just go and play D&D. Games like Mass Effect, Dragon Age, etc at least give me experiences I can't get anywhere else other than videogames.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane View Post
    That's true. Neverwinter Nights II is far better than anything BioWare released after the Baldur's Gate games. Having said that, it's still not particularly good.

Quote Originally Posted by R-F View Post
    Every thread, Wizardry. Every thread and every time it is a different person.

If you are the sole connecting factor between every argument, maybe YOU are the issue.
    Or the more logical answer that it's those same four or five people that can't live with the fact that someone else hates games they like.

Quote Originally Posted by kyrieee View Post
    You heard it here first folks.
    Games have no business telling stories.
    Games can tell stories alright. Just not at the expense of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by deano2099 View Post
    Then if you want a really good implementation of 3.5E combat, why not play 3.5E.

Your entire argument around RPGs stems from deriving your definition from an entirely different medium: the PnP RPG. Then you dismiss story by saying another medium does it better.

I honestly don't see the appeal of just replicating PnP RPG on a computer, if I want that experience, I can just go and play D&D. Games like Mass Effect, Dragon Age, etc at least give me experiences I can't get anywhere else other than videogames.
    Several reasons:
    1) CRPGs can have far more complex rules than pen and paper RPGs.
    2) Playing a CRPG is much more convenient and requires a lot less organisation.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Screwie View Post
    After waning by season 7 or 8, it changed up its format, ditched the tired Kenny gag, introduced and reinforced several supporting characters and became a really good satirical show. It has good and bad episodes but as a whole it has aged much more gracefully than either The Simpsons or Family Guy.
    Well, Family Guy is a glammed-up clip show and the Simpsons have gone through so many writers it's a surprise there's any narrative cohesion at all. I haven't followed South Park as closely as I did for the first 13 seasons of the Simpsons, but there have been quite a few South Park duds that I can remember.

That said, their latest season's been great. The Last of the Meheecans is one of my favorites.

Or the more logical answer that it's those same four or five people that can't live with the fact that someone else hates games they like.
    Why do you take it upon yourself to enter every single thread about current RPGs and hate on the people who talk about them? Is it really only because you can't stand that they like these types of games?

We get it. You don't like current RPGs. We got that message months ago. If that's your sole contribution, congratulations. Mission accomplished. Message received. Go away now.
    Last edited by Nalano; 02-12-2011 at 04:37 PM.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Hey guys, did you know that Obsidian is making a South Park RPG? shocking news, eh?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Why do you take it upon yourself to enter every single thread about current RPGs and hate on the people who talk about them? Is it really only because you can't stand that they like these types of games?
    I don't hate on anyone. I love everyone.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikey View Post
    Hey guys, did you know that Obsidian is making a South Park RPG? shocking news, eh?
    We've moved on from that subject. Try to keep up. :)

I don't hate on anyone. I love everyone.
    If that isn't sig material, I don't know what is.

Timmay!

(10 characters)