Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Obscure Node

"Dead" genres - What ones do you consider 6 feet under?

While indie and small studio development keeps some genre's on "life support" I think its fair enough to say that certain genres do seem to have largely disappeared or being relegated to lurching around the gaming world like pandas that refuse to copulate. What particular genres would you consider to be "dead"?

Off the top of my head I'd go with point and click adventures and squad based strategy. I suppose a good argument could also be made that grand strategy games arent seen much these days. And while its not a genre the isometric perspective seems to have fallen out of favour.

Infocom/Level 9/Magnetic Scrolls -style text adventures...
    open-faced club sand wedge

Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Uthred View Post
    Off the top of my head I'd go with point and click adventures and squad based strategy.
    Squad Based Strategy is dead? What about Dawn of War 2?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Vexing Vision's Avatar
    Squad-based turn-based strategy is dead. Sadly. I miss my Final Liberation (no, really!), Demon World 1 (and to a way lesser extent, 2). I do need to get a PS Vitae solely for Ogre Tactics.
    NETWORKING 101 SIGNATURE INCOMING
    Playing games with each other makes for the best business contacts, so feel free to add me on LinkedIn.
    You should also follow me on Twitter.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mrpier's Avatar
    I want a million Freespace 2 clones and I want them yesterday.

Good old space combat simulators.
    AFAIK, the closest we ever got to the likes of Tachyon, Wing Commander, Freespace and X-Wing/TIE fighter are these weird hybrid sandbox-y games with varying emphasis on trading (Freelancer, the X series), which I could never get into, much to my dismay.

This man has the right idea.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Adventure games got a bit of an afterlife what with S&M and Machinarium, but that doesn't seem to have turned into a resurgence of the genre.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Flight simulators used to be all over the place, and are now pretty much either very arcadey (Ace Combat, HAWX), or overly hardcore. Where's the middle ground?

As already mentioned, space combat games like Wing Commander, X-Wing, etc, are no more.

Hex-tile, turn based strategy games. Though I don't know if what I truly want is a Battle Isle sequel, or simply want the good times back I had when I played the original at a friend's house.

Isometric RPGs. Such as the Original Fallout Games, Arcanum (<3), etc etc.

*edit* Thinking about it, the campaigns from Dawn of War 2 (Vanilla and CR mostly, but Retri to a lesser extent) basically played like this. Wow..i think I've just worked out why I've loved those games so much for 2 years..

Also, co-op Side scrolling platformer/shooters, like Metal Slug.

and, ofc..

QFE

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    No genre truly dies.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Vexing Vision's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Adventure games got a bit of an afterlife what with S&M and Machinarium, but that doesn't seem to have turned into a resurgence of the genre.
    We also have Daedalic Entertainment with Edna, Whispered World and Harvey. It sold extremely well in Europe for such niche-games, and you don't get more point-and-click than this.
    NETWORKING 101 SIGNATURE INCOMING
    Playing games with each other makes for the best business contacts, so feel free to add me on LinkedIn.
    You should also follow me on Twitter.

On the "isometric games are dead" front I heartily disagree -- they've just grown up and are now full-3D overhead games.

Also they're alive and well on consoles, particularly handhelds. Final Fantasy Tactics, Disgaea, and Tactics Ogre being the most well-known, but there are countless others.
    Last edited by Jams O'Donnell; 05-10-2011 at 03:15 PM.

Lesser Hivemind Node TillEulenspiegel's Avatar
    It's silly to talk about genres being dead. They're not dead; they're merely out of style at the moment.

Good space sims are a bit difficult because most people don't have joysticks anymore, but for the rest, if someone released a great game in that genre tomorrow, it would be successful. There are enough open-minded gamers for that. The publishers are the problem.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    I suppose it all depends on where you draw the line, but I'm not aware of any genre that's completely dead. If many of the genres declared dead in this thread actually were, I'd be spending a lot less money on games.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Indeed, there's a big difference between mostly dead, and all dead. Though I think Uthred's OP is clear enough to avoid the latter definition. So what’s ‘dead’? Well pure RPGs seem to have been absorbed by other genres, but then we were never exactly swimming in them way back when thanks to the sheer effort and production costs involved. Anything less than 20 hours gameplay is considered robbery.
    Last edited by Drake Sigar; 05-10-2011 at 03:43 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    CRPGs are dead outside of a very few independently developed games. They just don't exist any more.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Jams O'Donnell View Post
    On the "isometric games are dead" front I heartily disagree -- they've just grown up and are now full-3D overhead games.
    Yup. Isometric is an attempt to make a 2D image appear 3D. When you can make it 3D anyway it kinda removes the need to fake it. In fact you could even go as far as to say several 3rd person games are a continuation of a certain isometric genre - the old Head Over Heels style isometric adventures aren't that far removed from Tomb Raider and the like.

Obscure Node
    First person shooters and RTS games are dead to me.

Neither genre has changed appreciably in the entire time the genre has existed. You still shoot people and pull levers and collect keys, you still build bases, you still harvest resources.

Banned
    <b>SPACE GAMES </b>

Most of what comes out in this genre are shitty Freespace clones. Each one that comes out seems to be more and more simple with with worse and worse AI.

Flying round in circles gets boring fast. (Flight sims are guilty of this too, Ace Combat, I'm looking at you.)

I've never gotten into the X series but I'm going to buy the new one straight away me thinks, I like the idea of piloting a bigger ship and nothing else has really done that since I-War.

Oh well, back to Freespace and its many mods...