Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar

Skyrim mods on Steam

via PCGamer:

This seems like boon for modmakers (and possibly modusers) and could conceivably cut out mod management tools, but what of sites like Skyrim Nexus?

I for one welcome the idea. What say you?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I hate steam.

Oh, I didn't mean you.

justkiddingeveryone'sentitledtotheiropinion

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    Mods and Oblivion were a nightmare, Skyrim is not different.

Without something like wryebash behind it, I can see this workshop leading to thousands of buggered Skyrim installations...
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    I can sort of see it being a good idea, especially if it facilitates modding, but I think it might split the community a bit. I can't see it taking over the Nexus site(s) as the main repository for mods.

Lesser Hivemind Node DigitalSignalX's Avatar
    I don't think it will stick - especially with the new nexus mod manager making things super easy for even novice PC users to install and use mods. Frankly, the fact people have been using nexus for many years, and not just for Bethesda games, means Steam has a long, long way to go to try and cut away their community.
    All times I have enjoyed greatly, have suffered greatly, both with those that loved me, and alone.

But if novices don't even have to consider the possibility of using a mod manager, isn't that a huge plus for Steam?

I wonder if we'll see more stringent quality control to avoid the problem of completely messing up your game.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    I like the idea. But I still wonder how they'll get around the chance of incompatibility. I can't see Steam supporting the game to that extent.

It's better than most of the mod sites out there though, particularly the ones that force you to sign up and login for a friggin' download.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    The guys from tesnexus have already written some stuff, subtle but critic: http://www.skyrimnexus.com/news/article.php?id=37

a.- Will people be able to charge for mods? will the community then refuse to help one another to maximize mod uniqueness and revenue? is this the new App Store where the first SkyFart will earn millions?

b.- Approval system? Valve has approved 1 out of every 87 submitted mods for TF2. Applying that to tesnexus there'd be only 280 mods.
    Last edited by pakoito; 02-12-2011 at 12:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pakoito View Post
    b.- Approval system? Valve has approved 1 out of every 87 submitted mods for TF2. Applying that to tesnexus there'd be only 280 mods.
    That's probably because there's an awful lot of mods which aren't particularly good or interesting. Look at the App Store where there's a thousand Fart Button apps or other soundboards. I'm not saying I totally disagree with that TESNexus are saying, but I wouldn't be complaining nor would I care if 86 variations of nude patches or cheats didn't make it through the process.

Sounds great in theory but like everyone else, I wonder how they'll deal with mod conflicts that screw up the game. I'll wait and see with this one but it's good to see modding get this kind of positive support.

The new mod manager is so easy to use though that I'm not sure if I'll need to use the Steam Workshop modder.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post
    That's probably because there's an awful lot of mods which aren't particularly good or interesting. Look at the App Store where there's a thousand Fart Button apps or other soundboards. I'm not saying I totally disagree with that TESNexus are saying, but I wouldn't be complaining nor would I care if 86 variations of nude patches or cheats didn't make it through the process.
    And who are you (or whoever else) to deprecate some other people's work? it's mods we're talking about, community or personal modifications to make the game to the tastes of the modder, it's not an app store or a public market where the best product wins.

Skyrim mods on Steam? I like that idea :) 1 vote!

Yes, but it says in the article that you still can use other methods for using mods, so that probably won't be a problem.

As for mods and Skyrim and their compatibility (even on Steam): There are things like the Nexus Mod Manager that make modding your game accessible and easy. Maybe Steam will use a similar system.

As long as Steam doesn't lock out mods you have installed by other means (and it seems that it doesn't), this seems to be a good idea.
    Last edited by Squiz; 02-12-2011 at 07:36 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    And who are you (or whoever else) to deprecate some other people's work? it's mods we're talking about, community or personal modifications to make the game to the tastes of the modder, it's not an app store or a public market where the best product wins.
    Our generation's biggest problem is not creating access to information, but finding a smart way to parse that information.

We're flooded with shit all day every day, and the most important skill everybody needs to know right now is how best to create/interpret a database tens of thousands of entries deep - and probably several orders of magnitude larger than that - with Sturgeon's Law in mind.

"It's popular therefore it's good" and "it's popular therefore it sucks" are both shorthand attempts to cleave that dross; to judge quickly such that one doesn't drown in the sea of shit. That's our method. The question is, therefore, not "who are we do judge," because we judge all the time, but "by what parameters will Valve judge?"

And, like others have mentioned, this is not an exclusive system. This is a competitor to [Beth Game] Nexus, not a replacement for it.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Nalano says it here:

Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    And, like others have mentioned, this is not an exclusive system. This is a competitor to [Beth Game] Nexus, not a replacement for it.
    Bingo.

This is more like a showcase of mods. A nude patch or cheat that makes you level up 6 times quicker isn't close to the amount of work put into something like Kvatch Rebuilt or Oblivion Overhaul. Nothing's stopping you from going over to the Nexus and getting a boatload of quick hacks like that. I'd much rather see quality on display from the Steam version.

I have no idea what the "depreciating other people's work" has to do with it. It's a blunt assessment. A quick hack to allow you to cheat or BOOBS LOL isn't on the same level as Nehrim. There's no requirement for Valve to support every single thing that gets submitted. And I'd much rather that the bar was high so that only things with a significant amount of work into them ended up getting submitted. And as Nalano said if you want everything and anything the Nexus isn't going away.

Network Hub
    As long as it doesn't restrict me from installing using mods from other sources, I couldn't care less; but I wouldn't touch the service with a barge pole.

Lesser Hivemind Node DigitalSignalX's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post
    This is more like a showcase of mods. ... something like Kvatch Rebuilt or Oblivion Overhaul ...
    I have no idea what the "depreciating other people's work" has to do with it. It's a blunt assessment. ... I'd much rather that the bar was high so that only things with a significant amount of work into them ended up getting submitted.
    It's worth noting that the end result of most of these large, polished mods are in fact the cumulative efforts of dozens, if not hundreds of smaller individual mods as well as massive amounts of community feedback and aggregated bug fixing efforts over a long span of time. Sure it's great Steam may provide a new access point for these, but it will still inevitably be only after they've matured and been "graduated" so to speak from Nexus.
    All times I have enjoyed greatly, have suffered greatly, both with those that loved me, and alone.