Hybrid View

Looking for a firewall...

Yeah. After getting sick of the constant pop-ups that were inferring that the current version of ZoneAlarm was no longer secure, (A lie) I clicked the "upgrade" button to take me from version 9 to version 10. Oops.

To cut a long story short, the new version of my all-time favourite firewall is a piece of crap, and I'm currently stuck with the Windows thing.

Anybody care to recommend me a decent firewall? Free is good, but paying is also perfectly acceptable, if it's really worth the doshes.

A hardware firewall should be sufficient. Any decent router will do the job, or better yet, a moddable (linksys) router which takes tomato or dd-wrt firmware.

Never had a software one myself, so really can't say much about them.

Network Hub
    Windows Firewall.

Lesser Hivemind Node DigitalSignalX's Avatar
    Strongly agree - a separate hardware firewall is the way to go, but bear in mind it's one of those "get what you pay for" items without a doubt. A 30 dollar router is going to be more hassle then value.
    All times I have enjoyed greatly, have suffered greatly, both with those that loved me, and alone.

Why are you wearing that stupid human suit?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Decent router + Windows Firewall and regular vigilance. That's all you need. I haven't used a 3rd party firewall in ages.

Unless you're running WinXP. I don't know if SP3 patched in blocking in both directions. I know when Windows Firewall first came out it only had blocking in a single direction (inbound?) which was fairly useless.

Aye, I'd agree with everyone above :) Modern router (most come free with ADSL connections nowadays) plus windows firewall is normally sufficient. And a virus scanner. And rootkit scanner. And spybot search/destroy is a good idea as well.

Comodo Firewall if you're looking for something similar to Zonealarm.

I also agree. Router/Hardware Firewall.
    If you want to block outgoing access or something use the Windows firewall with Windows7FirewallControl.

Quote Originally Posted by Nova View Post
    If you want to block outgoing access or something use the Windows firewall with Windows7FirewallControl.
    Thanks for all of the advice, everyone. I'm already using a hardware firewall, but being a paranoid control freak, it's software for outgoing access control I'm chasing. I'll give Windows 7 Firewall Control a look-see.

Eset (Nod32) have a good firewall software that comes with their (good) AV, smart security I think its called.

I upgraded Zonealarm and haven't noticed any problems. Is there something I should be made aware of or is it compatibility problems?