Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Christmas!

Christmas!

So unless I'm blind/can't even CTRL-F properly, we appear not to have a Christmas thread.

So, do y'all like Christmas? Hate it? Not care either way? Got particular plans for this year?

I am unflinching in my love of christmas. A combination of the fact that my dad's working away most of the time plus that me and my family get along very well anyway makes it a good time. Telly gets switched off during the day, music gets blared out, the pub in the village gets visited and then come home and mooch about the kitchen/dining room while dinner's being made and generally being rather jolly.
    A brave heart and a courteous tongue. They shall carry thee far through the jungle, manling.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Vexing Vision's Avatar
    I am very much looking forward to this Christmas, because my wife and me can hide away from the outside world who are all busy socializing with their families.

Which means we actually get some us-time and also a chance to clear our backlog of co-op games. :D
    NETWORKING 101 SIGNATURE INCOMING
    Playing games with each other makes for the best business contacts, so feel free to add me on LinkedIn.
    You should also follow me on Twitter.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus thegooseking's Avatar
    I'm a filthy unbeliever, and therefore obviously one of those people who is trying to wage war on Christmas.
    "Moronic cynicism is a kind of naïveté. It's naïveté turned inside-out. Naïveté wearing a sneer." -Momus

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    Going to spend at at home with the family, grandmother and maybe my uncle and his wife and kids are coming as well, looking forward to it. :)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    I'm really not looking forward to going home this Christmas and seeing the family to be honest, I didn't leave under good conditions and I worry it will be a return to the way the Summer was. I kind of wish me and my house mates and my uni mates could have a uni Christmas with our own spin on things, and a nice Roast. That would be lovely but its a dream since everyone must go home and see their "real" families at Christmas.

I'm looking forward to Doctor Who though.

I'm looking forward to it a great deal. I'm taking some time off, and the onrush of the holidays has forced me to get the house in order. It will be a hard fought and well deserved break from the mayhem. Just me, the wife and my two children, relaxing and watching Christmas movies.

It's going to be great!

I took 2 weeks vacation to have off for the 2nd half of December. So ya, I'm pretty stoked about Christmas.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SMiD View Post
    I took 2 weeks vacation to have off for the 2nd half of December. So ya, I'm pretty stoked about Christmas.
    Same! Hup!
    I might even decorate the outside of my house this year. (10% chance of decoration).

Quote Originally Posted by Berzee View Post
    I might even decorate the outside of my house this year. (10% chance of decoration).
    I mean, it sounds like a great idea. And I'm sure my kids would enjoy the lights. But it means I need to hop on that ladder out there in the cold.... sooo..... we'll see.

Lesser Hivemind Node westyfield's Avatar
    I'm looking forward to going home and seeing my family. I've been home for a few weekends, but it'll be nice to have a long time at home without having to worry about going back. Annoyingly, as a fresher, there's the added bother of finding a house and people to share it with for next year, on top of January exams. So it's likely to be a stressful holiday, but I'm determined to enjoy it nonetheless.

I love Christmas and it's usually a big family occasion for me but I'm currently working in Belize so it's going to be very different this year. I have been invited to spend Christmas with the family I rent my room from so it will still be a family-orientated celebration... just not my family!

I'm in two minds really. It's been a brutal depressing year so any reason to celebrate is good. My sister is also visiting from overseas which is nice. On the otherhand we are going to three different Christmas gatherings situated in different places so it means lots of driving and very little rest. Also, due to the aforementioned brutal year money is very, very tight so buying gifts and supplies for the Christmas parties is going to be painful. Having said that we grew up po' but still had some good Christmasses as kids. Hopefully mine will be able to say the same.
    "You go up to a man, and you say, "How are things going, Joe?" and he says, "Oh fine, fine — couldn't be better." And you look into his eyes, and you see things really couldn't be much worse. When you get right down to it, everybody's having a perfectly lousy time of it, and I mean everybody. And the hell of it is, nothing seems to help much." - Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

Christmas for me will be spent up at my Aunt's house, which I'll probably enjoy. It's the first Christmas since a cousin of mine passed away, so I think my aunt's getting quite stressed about the whole affair. I've got retakes in January for some A-levels, so I need to find the balance between family and revision.

MEHMEHMEH.

The most enjoyment I'll probably get this year is from various Christmas films -Die Hard, The Santa Clause, that sort of thing.

Hate it. All.

Lesser Hivemind Node DigitalSignalX's Avatar
    Problem with Christmas in the US is that it comes on the heels of another big family holiday, so we're still trying to shrug off the psycho-social scars of that event and remembering/forgetting why we put up with family. At this point, I'm personally not excited about Christmas, but I imagine in a couple of weeks things might change. I do enjoy shopping online though, which is a start.
    All times I have enjoyed greatly, have suffered greatly, both with those that loved me, and alone.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    All I see is "hey, we get turkey twice!" Fat bastards.

It's hard to pin down what I like most about Christmas - the decorations, the dinner, the TV specia- ok it's the presents. But those other things are important too. Hopefully the animated Snowman film will be on this year instead of Shrek 3.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Normally I enjoy Christmas, but everybody's going away this Christmas except me, so I'm spending it on my own. Which actually isn't quite as bad as it sounds; apart from my immediate family I hate having to deal with my family, so at least it'll be quiet and nowhere near as chaotic and rage-filled as it usually is.

I used to enjoy Christmas immensely, as it was a period where you could take some time off and have fun with your family (mostly my immediate family, dealing with my extended family can be exhausting, but perhaps that's mainly because I'm not big into people...) but the past couple of years I've just not been excited about it at all. It might be that I've had exams up to a couple of days before Christmas for 5 years now, or just growing up and feeling out of place in my family's house, or something else entirely. I don't know.

I'm one of those nutjob zealots who believe in Jesus and all that other sort of crazy, so I'm foregoing the whole shopping with tons of strangers who want to kill you because you grabbed the last (toy craze here) in the store. Instead, my wife and I are gonna play us some Dungeon Defenders over Christmas break and give thanks for the awesome times we live in. That and take advantage of the crazy game sales that go on during this time of year. I think I may be set for at least 9 months after this season haha.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I more or less ignore it. I'm not one for big groups of people, and I can't afford to buy anyone presents so I usually politely request that friends/family return the favour. I've nothing against the event, I simply don't participate.