Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar

Android Recommendations - Sans in app purchase

Being an entitled PC games to whom even really bad offenders like angry birds was completely in app purchase free I'm hungrily seeking decent, or better yet good games which are not going to ask for cash. Google have helpfully made it impossible to filter for iap and even being premium priced is no assurance that you won't be whale hunted.

Monument Valley of course is iap free and my robust range of humble bundle games continues to grow (sadly missed a few of the bundles, hoping for repeats), oh, I should add I have an unreasonable and irrational distaste for Google+ logins for games but don't let that influence suggestions because Hitman go had Google+ to iap and cloud save and I just ignore the login option.

TLDR: Good in app purchase free android games please.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Activated Node
    Currently playing my way through 80 Days and it's pretty great. It's basically an interactive book, but the fiction is interesting and well integrated with the app. No IAP.

Not sure if you're into puzzle games, but Blek is a pretty good one with an interesting concept. You draw a figure on the screen, then that figure repeats exactly starting from where you lift your finger. Using this, you have to hit colored balls and avoid obstacles. Very simple but beautiful UI, and no IAP.

The Room and The Room 2 are pretty spectacular hidden-object, mechanical manipulation, visual puzzle games with great art and a nice foreboding atmosphere. IAP free.

Threes! No IAP.

And I'm pretty sure that the mobile re-makes are IAP free: GTA3 and its sequels, the various Final Fantasy games, Minecraft, etc
    Last edited by Matt_W; 27-01-2015 at 09:33 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Eight Rooks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt_W View Post
    And I'm pretty sure that the mobile re-makes are IAP free: GTA3 and its sequels, the various Final Fantasy games, etc
    I know you specified remakes, but you want to be careful with Square Enix mobile games, all the same. ;) They are simultaneously one of the best, most inventive big publishers in the field and - when it comes to godawful rubbish like Final Fantasy: All the Bravest - one of the most depressingly amoral.
    Steam | Tumblr (stories, writing-related) | Twitter

Lesser Hivemind Node
    You're in luck my friend. I know some of these things and i'll stick to your requirements as strictly as possible.

Level 22 - adorable stealth puzzle environment top down platformer.
    Ridiculous Fishing - Vlambeer, they know their stuff. I haven't played Luftrausers but I suspect it might be the same.
    Hoplite - one of the best hex based turn based strategy games i've played on any platform. Its also a roguelike and unapologetic about its challenge.
    Compulsive - a easy to play, hard to master puzzle game. Premium version only, avoid the free one.
    Star Command - basically, FTL for a phone. Its surprisingly good however and offers a surprising amount of depth considering the limitations of the screen space/touch screen. Make sure you zoom in a lot when you get boarded so its easy to position your crew.
    Super Hexagon - batshit insane twitch platformer. Addictive as fuck if that's your kinda thing.
    Unpossible - F-Zero on a phone. Just as hard.
    Osmos - one of the older games on this list and a testament as to what can be achieved on a phone if you put your mind to it. A wonderfully absorbent and soothing puzzle-platformer thing that uses cell biology, astronomy and astro-physics as an inspiration.
    Alone - twitch based endless runner. Very evocative and I like the sound design.
    Dropchord - Thumping soundtrack, bright neon visuals, rhythm-evasion-obstacle dodging-puzzle solving gameplay. Play it really LOUD.
    Impossible Road - a ball, an endless borderless track traversing 360 degrees, lots of free falling, bass heavy soundtrack and ultra minimalist design.

That should be a good enough start.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Eight Rooks's Avatar
    FWIW, I couldn't stand Dropchord. Couldn't get my head round it at all, and the soundtrack wasn't anything special. Osmos is not soothing - it is screamingly bastard hard enough to have you pitching your phone or tablet across the room - but it's certainly a good game. Ridiculous Fishing is fantastically polished but it's just never grabbed me. Dull and unengaging. (Port Cat Goes Fishing to Android, then we can talk.)

I haven't played Android games much for a while, and without specific genre requests it's hard to know what would be your thing, Helio, but going by what's installed on my phone/my tablet, I can recommend

Adventure Bar Story - amusingly daft little isometric JRPG, a PSP port. Two versions, a F2P and a paid. You want the paid.
    Badland - you have one IAP to un-demo the game, then that's it.
    The various Cave shooters. (Deathsmiles, ESPGaluda 2, and I forget how many DoDonPachis.)
    The various Kingdom Rush games. Yes, there are IAPs. No, they are completely and utterly unnecessary. Anyone who tells you otherwise is a bad person who should feel bad. If you avoid these games because of the IAPs, you, too, are a bad person who should feel bad.
    Momonga - cute little pinball title with a story and some glorious production design. Never made it to an episode 2, because no-one buys paid apps any more. :(
    Out There, if you don't already have it on PC.
    Savant: Ascent, if you don't already have it on PC and you can take the strange controls.
    Selected Square Enix games, though I'm pretty sure I remember you're not keen on old-school JRPGs. If I was wrong, The World Ends With You and the Chaos Rings games are aces.
    The various Tin Man gamebooks.
    Wayward Souls - if you think you're up to a screamingly bastard hard dungeon crawling ARPG. I am not: I feel it's over-rated and far too tough, like Dark Souls without the fun. But you might like it.
    Steam | Tumblr (stories, writing-related) | Twitter

Cat goes fishing does have an android demo of sorts

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...sfishing&hl=en

Lesser Hivemind Node
    +1 for the Kingdom Rush trilogy. Excellent tower defence.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus rockman29's Avatar
    Carmageddon ftw.

Probably Crazy Taxi and maybe Afterburner Climax as well.

Part of my iap phobia is because I like to set access to games on my kids accounts whenever possible. I've tested dozens from the Amazon free dailys that I use as a demo I go on to buy my favourites. But so many want 'crystals' or 'treasure' to unlock obviously gated features.

I'll look at the Kingdom Rush games for myself though.
    Last edited by Heliocentric; Yesterday at 10:02 AM.

There are mobile games other than Hoplite? I'm shocked.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt_W View Post
    Currently playing my way through 80 Days and it's pretty great. It's basically an interactive book, but the fiction is interesting and well integrated with the app. No IAP.
    Looks quite good actually. Might give it a go.

I haven't really found any games I've loved on mobile yet (with the exception of multiplayer worms). Final Fantasy 3 was pretty good though.

Thirding Hoplite. Tho it does have a IAP, but not in the sense that you're worried about, Helio. The free base game contains most of the game, but the rest of it is unlocked in-game for 1,50 (iirc).

The Organ Trail is great as well, and plays beautifully even on a smartphone.

Also Wayward Souls and Flappy Golf.

Yes that's right FLAPPY GOLF!

Flappy Golf is my most played game on my phone. So good.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I've thought about starting this exact thread many times, but never gotten around to it.
    I tend to avoid any game that has IAP partly because I just don't like the idea, partly because it seems like it would get in the way of the enjoyment and mess up the game design, and partly because of the kids factor.

I don't mind paying for games, but anything with IAPs seems suspicious to me. Many may turn out to be benign or ignorable but it's almost impossible to know that up front.

TEMPLAR ASSAULT is a decent 2D Space Hulk derivative, but with more of an RPG element to it. It has IAP in the sense that it has a free version with a load of missions, but it had a paid version with a load more.
    Annoyingly, some weapons and equipment are locked to only the paid version, which might annoy you/me because it seems like it'd mess up the balance. But if you treat it as a demo and then buy the full version then it essentially doesn't count as IAPs.

The developers have a cyberpunk RPG and a space exploration game as well which have a similar model.

Or you could grab dosbox turbo or scummvm and play a whole load of old PC games without IAPs.