Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Board Games

Secondary Hivemind Nexus LowKey's Avatar
    Netrunner and the lord of the rings lcg are both really good

Much appreciated, Wing - That has pointed me in a much needed direction. :)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    I have to say The Resistance is probably the most fun game I've ever played, though if you don't like argueing you might not like it. Basically you are part of a future resistance against a government unfortunatly some people are spies and you have to go on missions. The beuty of the game is the accusations of who should go on the mision, and of course the reveal at the end when you find out who actually is the spies.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Need to pick up the Romulan expansion to Star Fleet Captains. Until have the spare change, need to replace the base game with the different cloaking rules. Have played 3 times, one I tried to go with a cloak and ambush, but did not quite work as well.

Mage Knight is a lot of fun. Have done a solo and 2 person co op. Look forward to the expansion coming soon.

Played The Resistance. Simple fun group card game. Lots of laughs and smiles.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Moraven View Post
    Need to pick up the Romulan expansion to Star Fleet Captains. Until have the spare change, need to replace the base game with the different cloaking rules. Have played 3 times, one I tried to go with a cloak and ambush, but did not quite work as well.
    Use cloaking to control the Federation player rather than to attack. If you're going to use cloaking for anything but avoiding retaliatory attacks you want to cloak multiple vessels and spawn as many sensor echoes as you can. What you want to do is force the Federation player to form up into task forces to prevent you picking off lone ships with a multi-ship ambush.
    The main advantage the Federation has is that their mission draws will always be heavily skewed towards things like sensor sweeps and away team missions, which can be quickly and easily completed by a single ship and quite often without having to get anywhere near your side of the board. As the Klingons you need to prevent this as soon as possible, otherwise it's not unusual to see the Feds half way to victory before you've even got to their half of the board. Once you've slowed their scoring down you have the luxury of being able to wait for the perfect hand before picking and choosing your battles.

Okay, another question board-gamers:

With Descent: Journeys into the Dark... is the second edition still okay? I haven't played either, and it seems like the first edition is unavailable now. It still looks like fun, but I'm curious what others think of the new edition.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    I believe 2nd ed of Descent cut a lot of the fat from the first game and from what I've heard from a lot of players it made it so much better and so much easier to introduce people to what previously was a very off putting and complex game to learn.

I picked up Android: Netrunner. The terminology and symbols are a bit overboard when trying to explain the game to someone. It suits the theme of course, but it doesn't make it any easier to explain. Particularly when some of the symbols only come into it in very few scenarios. The rule book isn't great either. It should have really been two books since both players play so differently to each other.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by NinebreakerN7 View Post
    Okay, another question board-gamers:

With Descent: Journeys into the Dark... is the second edition still okay? I haven't played either, and it seems like the first edition is unavailable now. It still looks like fun, but I'm curious what others think of the new edition.
    The first edition is long, long and long. If you want to play it you'll need to set aside most of the day and be ready to do a whole lot of looking up rules. The FAQs and errata are also sizable. The second edition is more streamlined plays in a reasonable time and gets its length by stringing together a couple of dungeons into one instead. It also contains the campaign rules that were introduced in an expansion of the first edition. The FAQs and errata are probably not sizable simply because it's not been out long and been expanded much; you'll still want that rulebook and internet connection to hand if you want to get it just right first time.

The second edition is better for most people, especially if you've not played lots of board games before, but if you like your chrome and want huge games you may prefer the first. The second is also easier to acquire. If you do go for the first, make sure to get the Road to Legend expansion.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus LowKey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post

I picked up Android: Netrunner. The terminology and symbols are a bit overboard when trying to explain the game to someone. It suits the theme of course, but it doesn't make it any easier to explain. Particularly when some of the symbols only come into it in very few scenarios. The rule book isn't great either. It should have really been two books since both players play so differently to each other.
    Yeah it's a bit like race for the galaxy, maybe try BGG there might be some player aids that could help

Network Hub
    Hello all!

There's a discount on the Talisman game on gamersgate (PC version of the board game). I'm wondering if anyone's tried it and how representative is it of the actual game.

The thing is Talisman is one of the games I'm sort of interested to just straight up buy it. So feel free to add some insights into the game itself.

Lesser Hivemind Node Winged Nazgul's Avatar
    It's not the full game - hence why it's called Prologue. The biggest thing missing is the multiplayer. There's a demo here - http://www.talisman-game.com/prologuedemo/ and TB gives his thoughts about it here: http://youtu.be/CGOj7utJJMQ

It's only single player and it misses a lot of the point of the real game.

Avoid it and get the real deal instead.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    Play "A Few Acres of Snow" in thine browser!

It's a game about the war between the French and British in colonial North America, and it uses a build-an-efficient-deck mechanic similar to Dominion as the driving force behind a strategic map-level colonizing thing. The digital version is free to play at the link up there.

Also, if there were not crazy enough, it gives you a board that's rotated about 45% so it looks like the eastern coast of North America runs due East-West. Craaazy.

(It's very well paced and thought-provoking...and occasionally infuriating...but I have only been able to play two games of it so far; I might try to drum up some Social Club interest here so that I can stop hounding my family members about it).
    Support for my all-pepperjack-cheese food bank charity drive has been lukewarm at best.

Activated Node
    I'm really interested in Space Cadets, anyone tried it ?
    It looks like a great deal of fun.

I just have trouble finding it... The only ones I find come from the US with $50 shipping so it's crazy expensive !

Space Cadets does look like great fun, but haven't seen it show up anywhere yet. IT's usually the case with hit games. They can't afford to print many copies, then they all get snatched up!

Our LFGS got in a single display box for the new ANR data pack and sold out of it in about 12 hours. It'll be another month til FFG can ship them another.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by AshEnke View Post
    I'm really interested in Space Cadets, anyone tried it ?
    It looks like a great deal of fun.

I just have trouble finding it... The only ones I find come from the US with $50 shipping so it's crazy expensive !
    Yeah I'd not been able to track it down in the UK recently, I got in touch with an online store and they said there was no listed date for a restock, so it's likely going to be the latter half of the year I think. Luckily they had a copy with a slightly creased box on the shelves they were able to send me but other than things like that you're likely stuck for a few months.

We play HeroQuest once a month at the moment, also Spartacus and Last Night on Earth with a few expansions.
    If my wallet recovers I'd love to track down the HQ expansions for our campaign. Maybe Descent too.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    My boardgame shop is going to be getting Netrunner core sets at the end of this month which is quite cool so i may be getting that.

Netrunner is a great game. I got to play a few games yesterday in a semi-league format. It's such a draining game though, the amount of information you've to keep track of, weighing up risks, being terrified when the runner breaks all your ice and get's into R&D and if he pulls just one more agenda out of it you lose and he wins and there's nothing you can do and you don't know what card it is.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

I played a few rounds of the Bejeweled board game with me mum today. It only takes ten-or-so minutes to set up and play and is a pretty accurate translation of the computer game. Lots of plastic bits to push around and boy do I love plastic bits so I had a good time.