Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Board Games

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Vexing Vision's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Oak View Post

Any other solo recommendations are welcome.
    I love an occasional solo game of Magic Realm. Sadly, I usually die within the first 25% of the game, which makes the gameplay a lot shorter than the set up. :)
    NETWORKING 101 SIGNATURE INCOMING
    Playing games with each other makes for the best business contacts, so feel free to add me on LinkedIn.
    You should also follow me on Twitter.

@Oak I cannot find the exact one I was looking for on BGG. I thought it was Squad something-or-other; basically take command of a group of troops and play out a card scenario in WWII.
    Closest I can find is a similar space version http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/66781/space-infantry

Hold on Frontline might be what I was thinking of http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/3...rontline-d-day

Or 54 pages of them on BGG :) http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamefa...olitaire-games

I'll echo Vex, not for magic realm as the level of dying is silly and so I stick with it on pc (just threw away my printed off instructions actually in my last clear out), but in trying other non-solo games solo.
    I'm not a big fan of solo, as it normally feels like a puzzle which is not my thing.
    I play WOW: the boardgame solo and really like it -so much so that I probably wont play it with a group. Then again Runebound does not work for me solo.
    I'm thinking of getting Arkham Horror for solo play as well, but hope to try it out first somewhere.
    Try London on Board for free and easy boardgaming

After dusting off half the RPS-forum, I was suprised this thread was the only thread I found that's about boardgames (without trying to meet up with others). So, since I found it, I might as well use it :)

Is anyone of you here familiar with Merchants & Marauders? I've recently read a review of this game on Shut Up & Sit Down, and watched some youtube video's, but... Is the game really as fun to play as I think it is?? And what is the average playtime? (for example we manage to drag games of Catan on for hours sometimes, despite the box saying it's 90 minutes of play). And fianally, what is the target audience? Can I play it with my folks or does this game need a certain level of "geek" (read: play with a carefully chosen group of friends)?

I also own the, in my opinion, great game Small World for a few months now. And I've noticed there are a lot of expansions available. Are they worth it? Or do they imbalance the game?
    Mijn Uitlaatklep - My (Dutch) blog about games, music and more

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    I'm a fan of Talisman. Hard to get a group together but always fun when you do. I'm looking at some of the expansions soon.

I'd recommend the Gears of War board game as it's actually rather good and can be a challenge. The cards as life system works well and when you're staring down at two or three boomers and you've only two cards in your hand things can get scary. Set up of the board can take some time, but what games like this don't? Can be played solo too.

Also Munchkin.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    Munchkin is heaps of fun and hatred ( in a good way!)

Here's a list of boardgames/Card games I have in possession.

Card Games

Munchkin Core, Booty and Chtulhu
    Magic The Gathering
    Penny Arcade - Paint The Line
    Penny Arcade The Game Gamers vs Evil
    Yes, My Overlord!
    Epic Spell Wars of the Battle Wizards: Duel at Mt. Skullzfyre

Boardgames
    Arkham Horror
    Smallworld
    Colonists of Catan
    Dungeon Lords
    Dungeons & Dragons Fantasy roleplaying game ( red box )
    Dungeons & Dragons The legend of Drizzt
    Wiz-War
    Puerto Rico

Dice Games
    Zombie Dice
    Chtulhu Dice

Will write up some experiences when I'm less beat.
    Last edited by Ravelle; 05-09-2012 at 09:05 PM.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

Just bought Dixit, based on Shut up & sit down (with ex-RPS Quinns). Absolute lovely game that really gets you inside other peoples head... Turns out I'm pretty good at doing that :). As opposed to Small world,which we played next. I bloody hate the skellingtons in that game.

I also bought Merchants & Marauders (curse you, SU&SD!). But I only unpacked all stuff so far, and gave the manual a quick look. Looks mighty fine, but also a tad bit complex. Best practice a game on my own before even trying to explain the rules to other people, or I might scare them away :)
    Mijn Uitlaatklep - My (Dutch) blog about games, music and more

Shadowrifts isn't too bad, especially if you like entirely co-op games. The set-up time is a little ridiculous, but nowhere near as bad as Arkham Horror.

Obscure Node
    I've been getting back into boardgaming and picked up some solo/co-op friendly games over the last few months.

Thunderstone is a great solo game with a nice balance of deckbuilding, luck and judgment. I'm looking forward to picking up some expansions to open it out a little. The manual that comes with Thunderstone is pretty awful though, and I had to check out a couple of videos on BGG to make sure I was playing it correctly.

Pandemic and Ghost Storiesboth work well solo too. I control two players for Pandemic and all four monks for Ghost Stories. They're both great games with a nice tough difficulty level, and they're definately games that I'd recommend to anyone.

I haven't been able to get on with Elder Sign at all. It just doesn't seem to be a well designed game. I'm happy with dice-heavy games, but this seems to be one where momentum counts too much. Start with some good rolls and build up some equipment and you'll probably steamroll it. Some bad initial rolls and it's a struggle. The instructions are truly awful as well.

Dungeonquest is good fun, especially if you're the sort of player who gets into the theme of thing and imagines yourself in the character's boots. You have to take it in the right spirit (that it's horribly unfair). The only problem with it is that there are so many components and it takes so bloody long to unpack and pack up again. Especially considering that you can be dead within five minutes. Oh, and the combat system is a bit meh. The solo combat rules take away the individualism of the characters and makes it a bit bland.
    Steam ID: wayward_ronin Origin ID: BushidoJoe Windows Live ID: Wayward Ronin 7
    PSN: Wayward_Ronin

Lesser Hivemind Node internetonsetadd's Avatar
    I got Twilight Struggle and Earth Reborn earlier this year, and just picked up Netrunner, along with Agricola and Dominion for when we're more than two. I recently received a certain controversial card game that was briefly on Kickstarter, which I got mostly because I like offensive oddities. The game itself doesn't seem that great. I also Kickstarted Democracy: Majority Rules. Hopefully it doesn't suck.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    Just saw Kingdom Builder discounted to 30€. Too bad it was in German :(

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by pakoito View Post
    Just saw Kingdom Builder discounted to 30€. Too bad it was in German :(
    It has absolutely no text ingame, everything is based on symbols. You can print the rules online in English then use a German copy just fine. All you'll need is the reference of what each special and scoring tile does, which is something you read once per game.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar
    Hmmmmm abstract euro game. Doesn't sound that great now :/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Bankrotas's Avatar
    I do enjoy boardgames, but I enjoy them because my friends also enjoy them. I find boardgames not really as fun to play with strangers at some place.
    Hear from the spirit-world this mystery:
    Creation is summed up, O man, in thee;
    Angel and demon, man and beast art thou,
    Yea, thou art all thou dost appear to be!
    http://ps2guides.besaba.com/

Anybody know any good board gaming websites/blogs/portals I can add to my feed? Carboard Children and Shut Up & Sit Down have got me back into board gaming, and I'd like to find a great site/community to get my fix - Rab once a week isn't enough :) . Is there a site that does for board games what RPS has done for PC gaming?

Obscure Node
    The sites I frequent the most are BoardGameGeek and CardGameDB, the latter being focused on Living Card Cames. If there are other great sites for this I'd love to hear about them, as tabletop games have become about even with PC gaming for me now.

Hmmm. Seems like this is the only board games thread that's not buried, so I'll ask here -- Anyone know if any company, etc ever put out something like HeroQuest? I played it when I was a kid, and really enjoyed it. Wonder if anything out there is similar now.

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by NinebreakerN7 View Post
    Hmmm. Seems like this is the only board games thread that's not buried, so I'll ask here -- Anyone know if any company, etc ever put out something like HeroQuest? I played it when I was a kid, and really enjoyed it. Wonder if anything out there is similar now.
    It's much more complex, but I played HeroQuest as a kid and have really enjoyed Descent recently.

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ed...cond%20Edition

Quote Originally Posted by Shadin View Post
    It's much more complex, but I played HeroQuest as a kid and have really enjoyed Descent recently.

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ed...cond%20Edition
    Much appreciated for the heads-up! It does look very similar. :D

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bankrotas View Post
    I do enjoy boardgames, but I enjoy them because my friends also enjoy them. I find boardgames not really as fun to play with strangers at some place.
    Same. I don't like playing games when you end up against strangers where one or more of them are not in it for the fun of the game but the fun of winning.

I've been looking for a good LCG to get into recently, never played one before but there's something appealing about them. Would like to get one that works well with 2 players but can also be expanded to work with more.