Page 1 of 37 12311 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Vexing Vision's Avatar

FTL - the space simulation real-time rogue-like

I'm moderately certain that the RPS staff will report this the minute before I manage to post it, as is usually the case, but...

WOW.

And the AAR on PC Gamer reads even better.
    NETWORKING 101 SIGNATURE INCOMING
    Playing games with each other makes for the best business contacts, so feel free to add me on LinkedIn.
    You should also follow me on Twitter.

I absolutely love the concept, but I'm concerned that it comes down to a relatively straightforward logic puzzle for gameplay. It'll be fantastic if what we're seeing with the pre-alpha is just one part of the whole, even if it's the majority.
    Mumble :: Thread :: Click to Join

Lesser Hivemind Node westyfield's Avatar
    I couldn't tell from the trailer, is it real-time or turn-based?
    Edit: Oh, never mind, I re-read the PCG article which says “a spaceship simulation real-time roguelike-like”. Somehow I glossed over that when I first read it (double edit: and the thread title as well. How embarrassing!). I wonder how combat and ordering crewmembers around works in real-time, it could get a bit hectic.
    Last edited by westyfield; 06-12-2011 at 06:49 PM. Reason: oh, the shame

Obscure Node
    Looks very interesting to say the least. I'll pick it up when it's out and report back.

Network Hub Peter Radiator Full Pig's Avatar
    You had me at space and then again at Rogue-like. Lost me a bit on real time, but I can handle that.
    The development of this will be one to watch.

I heard about this on the new PC Gamer UK podcast and immediately looked it up. I really want to play it!!

This sounds

a) Like a computer version of that Space Alert boardgame
    b) awesome

Also the ship design reminds me a bit of the ship from Sundog: Frozen Legacy
    Last edited by Harlander; 06-12-2011 at 09:21 PM.

Lesser Hivemind Node TailSwallower's Avatar
    That write-up at PCGamer makes this sound thoroughly interesting. Will give the Alpha a shot and keep my eye on the development.

ETA: Now I realise Alpha access is currently restricted. Oh well, will check it out as soon as I'm able.
    Last edited by TailSwallower; 07-12-2011 at 02:32 AM.
    weekendwarrio.rs - We've got more games than time...

Anyone want to mug an IGF judge and get their access credentials? ;)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Vexing Vision's Avatar
    I also thought of Space Alert immediately.

Here's a Twitter-comment from one of the devs:

JarMustard: @VexingVision We found out about Space Alert while working on FTL. It's our new favorite co-op board game. Excellent game.
    I'm interested in joining said creative aquisition of access credentials very much.
    NETWORKING 101 SIGNATURE INCOMING
    Playing games with each other makes for the best business contacts, so feel free to add me on LinkedIn.
    You should also follow me on Twitter.

This looks amazing... Cant wait to see where they go with it.
    illiteratereviews.com Some badly written reviews, by me, and anyone else who wants to.

FTL has launched a Kickstarter. I will be parting with some monies. You can play the demo now through OnLive if you have doubts.

Through OnLive?

How bizzare.

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Harlander View Post
    Through OnLive?

How bizzare.
    Makes sense: No chance for piracy and the dev only has to make sure it works on Onlive's machines instead of worrying about the brazillian ways computers out there differ.

Very good points, and in response all I have to say is "nuts to OnLive".

They're going to have to face compatibility issues at some point, though, unless they're planning on an OnLive-only distribution as well.

I'm going to wait till the Kickstarter Beta to play it, OnLive can go poop, but I understand the creators decision to go with OnLive.

@Harlander The game will be sold as a DRM free .exe so no worries if you dont like OnLive.

I wished for space games ages ago and now, I found a bajillion of 'em

...ACE!

Activated Node
    My only complaint with the OnLive trial is that it's only 30 minutes long for a sitting. Then again the game mode they give tends to only last twenty minutes.

Went into the trial determined to wait and see, and unwilling to donate more than $10 for the game on release. Then I played the damned thing and I upped my Kickstarter contribution to $25 just so I can get into the beta as early as possible. The game feels like the kind of thing I can lose a hundred hours to easily.

Activated Node
    Just had a quick play. Even with my sluggish OnLive connection I really enjoyed it.

When I first read about it I thought it sounded similar to the real world physics space station sim game(plus rogue AI and aliens...) I've always wanted to create, but after playing it I think it's different in several ways to what I'd eventually like to do.

May drop some dosh come payday.

Quote Originally Posted by Alphager View Post
    Makes sense: No chance for piracy and the dev only has to make sure it works on Onlive's machines instead of worrying about the godzillion ways computers out there differ.
    Fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by Voon View Post
    I wished for space games ages ago and now, I found a godzillion of 'em

Fixed.

The game is fine for OnLive because you probably want to Pause it any time you enter a new system, so any lag is mitigated as soon as you press the Spacebar. Only gave it a very short go before because I had to head out for the afternoon. I have a feeling that if I get stuck into it after dinner then that'll be my evening gone... Funnily enough though, I don't know if I'll bother kickstartering - they've already more than doubled what they needed, and I can't afford the $25 for early beta access, so I'd have to wait until the full game was out anyway. If they announce the game will cost $20 on release though, then I'll jump in now to save future money.