Page 14 of 37 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
    I haven't even tried on easy, I just went straight to normal which may explain some of my woes.

Anyway, I unlocked Another Thing! The stealth ship. I haven't had a proper playthrough as I was about to stop playing when I unlocked it so I just had a quick go and died fairly quickly.
    A brave heart and a courteous tongue. They shall carry thee far through the jungle, manling.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    If anyone starts a game in mind with the specific goal of unlocking other ships, the federation cruiser on easy mode is a godsend. Add a simple missile launcher and it has enough raw power for every encounter till the final galaxy.

Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    If anyone starts a game in mind with the specific goal of unlocking other ships, the federation cruiser on easy mode is a godsend. Add a simple missile launcher and it has enough raw power for every encounter till the final galaxy.
    This does not work for all ships, as for some, you need engi ships to start off with.

Or is it just certain crewmembers?
    - Tom De Roeck.

monochrom & verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

I think it's just crewmembers.

As far as I know all you need are alien crewmembers (the cruiser starts off with an Egi, Mantis, and Rockman), and in some cases upgraded systems which can be achieved on any ship.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    Yeah it's crew members, which again makes the Federation ship handy as you've got several of the races on board to begin with,

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar
    lol @drake, The bottom number is still zero for me!

Congratulations, Drake. Maybe in 12 games, I will be where you are. Gotta put the pedal to the metal on the Rock ship, I think.

Stealth ship is amazing. Stealth up while your weapons charge, then fire the laser to down the shields and the beam will cut up any subsystem you pick. I usually cut up weapons first, then shields.

Obviously you need to get shields ASAP as if you were to enter somewhere like an asteroid field, you're screwed.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    My Cruiser game ended with B Laser II, B L III, Artemis (2 standard missiles at a time.) Defense Drone 1 x2 (usually only one active. 3 Shields, maxed Artillery Beam. 1 human, 1 engi, 2 zoltan (free power helps), 2 rock, 2 mantis.

Flagship crew do not respawn for each phase, so if you can take them out it can be advantageous. I fired my B L III and Artemis at the shields while I sent 2 crew to the Tri missile launcher. With the Artillery beam it seemed like by the time my crew took out one weapon the flagship was nearly destroyed. I should could have sent a 2nd crew after the 10 sec cd but I was trying to manage the fight and the extra rock came in handy for fires.

Was able to do Phase 1 & 2 with no repairs. I had to repair before 3, which happened to be in a bad spot but was able to get to it then the flagship before it got to the base.

Screwed up the Mantis ship event, arggg.

Might try to unlock a couple more layouts/ships then take a stab at Normal.

Protip: Don't exit the game using the X in the top right...it doesn't prompt to save and just closes *cry*

Still, I found Notch, and apparently he's regarded as common and uninteresting in the future:

Virtual Organ Doner - "It's better to gib, than to receive."
    .: Steam :: Screenshots :: Steam Beautiful Screenshots Group :.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Bakke View Post
    Stealth ship is amazing. Stealth up while your weapons charge, then fire the laser to down the shields and the beam will cut up any subsystem you pick. I usually cut up weapons first, then shields.

Obviously you need to get shields ASAP as if you were to enter somewhere like an asteroid field, you're screwed.
    Getting caught is unlikely since the stealth ship comes with advanced sensors, so you can avoid any hazard navpoints (that's one of the achievements I believe). Sometimes on normal navpoints there's a text option to search a nearby asteroid field, and one of the possible outcomes is finding a hostile ship. Then you have to fight them in the field. :/

Mostly what you have to worry about is coming up against a ship with an attack drone too early before getting shields. It's surprising how fast it wreaks your shit.

Haha yessss. I encountered a Mantis ship very close to a sun. Piloting the Rock ship, I only had two members of my crew left after losing one to an event, but I had also just installed a teleporter. Not wanting to let good scrap go to waste, I sent both my pilot and my weapons guy through the teleporter. The enemy's weapons damaged my oxygen system, but I anticipated that, and upgraded the system earlier so it wouldn't break down after one point of damage. There were a few solar flares that started fires, but none of them in vital systems, and all of them in rooms that could be vented. Blast doors prevented it from getting out of hand. You don't often get that, preparations that actually prove useful.

And thus, I achieved Reliable Auto-Pilot and Is It Warm In Here?, and with that, a new ship layout!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    I think FTL's implementation of ship achievements is one of the best I've seen. Not only are they cheevos that serve a purpose and are meaningful, they're also fitting. Do you want that alternative layout for the ship? Then do stuff with that ship.

Network Hub
    Hm, playing on easy I don't consider the flagship that difficult anymore, it's basically just a matter of disabling the weapons fast enough with a boarding party (starting with the triple rocket launcher) and surviving the drone surge / super weapon either with the cloaking device or at least 3 shield points combined with >40% evasion.

Clipboard02.jpg

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Malawi Frontier Guard's Avatar
    This game has a couple of interesting ideas, but overall I just can't get over how random it is. Random chance is not game design. In fact, it's basically the opposite. I'd say chance in FTL is about 60% of the game, when it should be 10% at most, or 5%, and only for variety.

If I start a new game, what I'm doing is just clicking on the next system on the way to the exit (there's not much choice here), and then just fight the one way the starting loadout of my ship allows for, battle after battle, until I get "lucky" enough to get something new into my arsenal. Even on easy, there is never enough scrap around that you could make a meaningful choice about which weapons or upgrades to get, and in the end you're going to need all of them anyway for a boss battle that only suggests how much more exciting the game could be, if only.

More ship systems, more (any) customization, completely different star systems, more interplay between crew and ship combat (the only really exciting part of the game), more choices, etc.

As it is right now, it's just a massively simplified RTS with a neat theme. An okay theme.

FTL? An RTS? Are you on THC?

Lesser Hivemind Node Winged Nazgul's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LTK View Post
    FTL? An RTS? Are you on THC?
    Although that does confirm he's missed the point of this game entirely.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Malawi Frontier Guard View Post
    If I start a new game, what I'm doing is just clicking on the next system on the way to the exit (there's not much choice here)
    This may be what you're doing wrong. You've got to milk each system for as many waypoints (ie. chances of loot) as possible. If you just make a beeline for the exit you'll have no scrap and no loot. Figuring out a good route is half the game - do I divert via that nebula for potential risky battle but slow down the fleet advance? Do I go direct to the store or go via a couple of extra nodes to try and pick up more scrap, even though I'm down to 40% health? Can I risk going for the wayward quest node, even if that means letting the fleet overtake me for a couple of jumps?

FTL feels like several board games in that if you start with a predefined strategy, you're probably going to fail. You need to roll with what it throws at you and play it to the best advantage. If you pick up an extra Rock crewman early on then get to a store with a teleporter, then you'd better be thinking pretty hard about going for an all-out boarding party build. You may not be able to choose what weapons you'll be able to get, so you need to go with ones that combo best together and then upgrade your ship to make it as effective as possible.