Page 16 of 37 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
    Lesser Hivemind Node postinternetsyndrome's Avatar
    Does it say anywhere in the game what the requirements are for unlocking new ships? Or is this stuff just known spoilers?

Lesser Hivemind Node
    It gives you vague instructions, hints and such. Usually in the form of telling you which race you'll get it from plus a hint about how. In most cases that means going to the 'homeworlds' system of that particular race and engaging a certain ship or doing a certain quest. I think the event for each ship is guaranteed to be in the homeworld system, but it's pure luck whether you'll bump into it or not.

Specifics are just known spoilers, the FTL wiki lists the requirements in detail if you're interested.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Yeah it rarely openly tells you what to do. The dishonored playtesters would be horrified. :)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    The game gives you a bit of a hint if you hover over that particular ship, but nothing specific.

Lesser Hivemind Node postinternetsyndrome's Avatar
    Hover over the ship? How? Feeling stupid here but I can only see the ships I've already unlocked?

EDIT: Oh lol found the "list" button now.
    Last edited by postinternetsyndrome; 20-09-2012 at 04:52 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Trying out Mantis Layout B. It has no weapons and 2 crew. A little scary till you get a couple more Rockmen or Mantis, and then you're laughing your ass off, because who needs weapons when you've got 4 transporter pads.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Not to mention starting with a Boarding Drone. God I love those things, there aren't many ships that can take that smashing into one room then 4 Mantis/Rockmen beaming into another.

Oh score, new game, Rockmen ship A. First jump, I get gifted a Burst Laser III.
    Last edited by DarkFenix; 20-09-2012 at 07:23 PM.

Is it actually possible to get a Boarding Drone other than starting with it? I've never received a ship-default weapon or augment through regular means; Engi nanobots, Rock plating, Pierce laser, Drone booster, Mantis pheromones, none of those. There was one time when saving a space station gave me Engi nanobots, but at that moment I was piloting the Torus and already had that augment, so I think they're all exclusive.

Wait, what the hell? Why does upgrading to level two weapons require sixty scrap? The next level only requires 25!
    Last edited by LTK; 20-09-2012 at 07:28 PM.

I've had engi nanobots on another ship.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LTK View Post
    Wait, what the hell? Why does upgrading to level two weapons require sixty scrap? The next level only requires 25!
    maybe including all the power for the upgrade? I guess it'd still be more like fifty.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkasaurusmex View Post
    maybe including all the power for the upgrade? I guess it'd still be more like fifty.
    No, it asks for 60 scrap just to raise it to two power bars. Look. That can't be a mistake. Would having a laser and a bomb powered at the start of the game really make the Mantis ship that overpowered?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar
    oh weird... have not seen that ship yet.
    ha and the next level costs 25

Wow, I love this game. I would elaborate, but that would keep me from playing it more :). But I gotta know - is there some way to rename my crewmembers?

The first ones you can rename hitting the rename button that's under them, wich you probably know already. If you're talking about the ones you gather during the adventure, then no.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Hensler View Post
    Wow, I love this game. I would elaborate, but that would keep me from playing it more :). But I gotta know - is there some way to rename my crewmembers?
    I think in your Ship > Crew Tab you can rename along with dismiss crew members.

Finally made it through the boss, after about 50 playthroughs.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

"It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

"I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

"At least he has some personality."

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Oddly enough I don't really feel threatened by the last boss anymore. The first stage is made trivial by a teleporter, the second and third are made trivial by high evasion and any half-decent bomb weapon.

It might be my imagination too, but I'd swear the boss' superweapons have been nerfed into oblivion since beta.

No, it asks for 60 scrap just to raise it to two power bars. Look. That can't be a mistake. Would having a laser and a bomb powered at the start of the game really make the Mantis ship that overpowered?
    Yes. You start with teleporters. Every 'extra' at the start has a tradeoff. The Mantis get teleporters but lack weapon power, the stealth ship gets a cloak but lacks a shield etc.
    Last edited by DarkFenix; 20-09-2012 at 09:52 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I think it's a commitment charge. ;)
    It's part of that specific ships difficulty curve or offset for any other cool stuff it gets. You get something cool, but have to pay extra for the normal weapon slot. Other ships start off at 2-4 weapon level. I'd normally say it was a bug, but as it seems a barrier to put any weapons on the ship, it seems to be an encouragement to use the boarding drones/teleporter.

I've played for a good while now, still haven't got close to finishing the game though. I freak out so bad at fire I'd rather start from scratch than have to deal with it and the inevitable damage to my ship and crew =/

Quote Originally Posted by Moraven View Post
    I think in your Ship > Crew Tab you can rename along with dismiss crew members.
    Okay, looks like you can only do that when you start a new game, so you can't rename new crew members you acquire.