Page 22 of 37 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    Finally got the Mantis ship (got all the others bar the secret one...).

Unlocked the second version.

LOVE the 4-person telepad.

Singing space shanties to the backing music of screaming rebels as we tear them apart with out space mandibles. Joyful.
    So much fun. The only problem at the start are those automated scouts since they have no air. A level 1 teleporter can't get boarders back out fast enough before they croak. Once you get a decent weapon as backup, you're laughing all the way to the end.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar
    Finally got the Red-Tail and it's pretty cool, but I need to replace some of these weapons ASAP.

Oh and here's another fan of the beam weapons. My favorite weapon in the game is the anti-bio beam, since killing crew nets you more scrap, sometimes weapons, and even crew from slavers. Of course that beam isn't much use at the end, but a hull beam sure is!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparkasaurusmex View Post
    Finally got the Red-Tail and it's pretty cool, but I need to replace some of these weapons ASAP.
    ...no, you really don't. The only thing better than 4 Basic Lasers could possibly be 4 Dual Lasers, and you can't get that. That's the whole reason for flying the Fire-Tail and why it's so awesome.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohorovicic View Post
    ...no, you really don't. The only thing better than 4 Basic Lasers could possibly be 4 Dual Lasers, and you can't get that. That's the whole reason for flying the Fire-Tail and why it's so awesome.
    Or 4 Burst Laser I

You need all 4 firing at once to be effective, so replacing one with something like a heavy laser that has a longer charge time is a bad call.

Burst Laser I have 1 or 2 seconds faster charging time than the basic lasers. A couple of those and the red-kite is a menace.
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

So you have the one that's hardest to get, hah.
    The 1HP one? That was pretty easy.

It's odd you don't have all the systems achievement since it's pretty much mandatory anyway to finish the game.
    Which I haven't done.

As for crewmembers, decide on "wasting" a run with that purpose and just buy them off of shops.
    Been trying that, just not had much luck with shops thus far. :(
    A brave heart and a courteous tongue. They shall carry thee far through the jungle, manling.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorzan View Post
    Well, I've just gone through FIVE COCKING PLANETS under enemy control, just because current sector decided I couldn't jump forwards if I chose to go through one side instead of the other
    Tell me about it. :) I just got the game yesterday and tried it out before going to bed, and of course I took the wrong route and had to fight my way to the exit. And then I got boarded by 4 pirates so I open the doors but made a few mistakes and finally bot my crew and pirates all died. That's something at least. Which leads me to the following very important question: Is it possible to lock the doors? :)

It just occurred to me that maybe I could have unpowered the door system, would that work?

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Been trying that, just not had much luck with shops thus far. :(
    It might just be me, but I almost never manage to get a slug crewman. I don't think I've ever seen one in the store - only from random events.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Hypernetic's Avatar
    Uh yeah. The 4 lasers do one more damage than one burst 2. One burst 3 does 1 more damage than all 4 basic lasers for the same power consumption. The weapon setup on the original variant is way better. Artemis + burst laser does a lot more damage than the 4 basic lasers. The cooldown on the basic lasers is too long for them to be any good really.

is it just me or is the Burst Laser mk1 really crap, as it uses the same amount of power as the mk2, but only shoots twice?
    - Tom De Roeck.

monochrom & verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    Uh yeah. The 4 lasers do one more damage than one burst 2. One burst 3 does 1 more damage than all 4 basic lasers for the same power consumption. The weapon setup on the original variant is way better. Artemis + burst laser does a lot more damage than the 4 basic lasers. The cooldown on the basic lasers is too long for them to be any good really.
    The cooldown is second lowest of all laser weapons(10 seconds) and miles ahead of Burst III which has cooldown of 19 seconds. Furthermore, you can target four different systems with four different weapons which is huge(first volley destroys the shield, second can destroy/damage almost everything else). Finally, XP gain for the weapon operator is based on volleys fired, so with four basic lasers you'll gain 4XP per attack which is enormous. I had one run where I had maxed out gunner XP while still in the first sector using the Fire-Tail.

Artemis + Burst does more damage but requires missiles which are a finite resource and can be shot down by enemy defense drones. Defense IIs are much more rare, and by that time in the game you should be relying mostly on boarding anyway.

And above everything else, you start with four basic lasers. Theorycrafting is nice but since the game is 90% luck you'll likely never get what you want, so starting with what can get you through most of the game is extremely important. Hell, first time I beat the game I did so with nothing but the four Basic Lasers and a Breach Bomb.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Faldrath's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mrki View Post
    Which leads me to the following very important question: Is it possible to lock the doors? :)
    Upgrading the door system is actually fairly important, especially if you're going to jump into a Mantis sector and are likely to be boarded at every jump. Level 3 doors are a huge help.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar
    I don't like the four lasers because it's only four projectiles. If I can upgrade just one or two of them and get like 6-8 projectiles I will feel much safer. It's nice that the four laser only use one power bar each, but I can afford to upgrade the power a little. I like how it has four available power bars in your weapons array at the start.

The four lasers work great in the first two or three sectors, but by the time I'm shooting through 3 layers of shields one miss means the whole volley was wasted.

Quote Originally Posted by Faldrath View Post
    Upgrading the door system is actually fairly important, especially if you're going to jump into a Mantis sector and are likely to be boarded at every jump. Level 3 doors are a huge help.
    not to mention they can contain fires and also give your door controls more durability.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mrki View Post
    Which leads me to the following very important question: Is it possible to lock the doors? :)

It just occurred to me that maybe I could have unpowered the door system, would that work?
    You can't deactivate secondary systems like sensors or doors. Doors can be upgraded to better keep out intruders and fires though. As Faldrath said, this is pretty essential if you're heading to Mantis space. Once upgraded, doors automatically lock and enemy boarders have to waste time bashing them down.

Yeah, there's a reason why the Zoltan ship comes with its doors pre-upgraded to level 2. One fire is pretty much a death sentence if your doors are out. Even with blast doors, if you catch more than one solar flare in that thing, you're fucked. Zoltan are way too fragile to survive long enough in a room on fire to put it out.

I had the horrible luck of jumping into three systems close to a flaring sun in my first run with the Zoltan ship. It was the worst thing.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Advanced sensors are your best friend. Only 30 scrap too.

While celebrating my first time defeating the second stage of the flagship my ship blew up because it was on fire too much.

Sadness.

Achievement-hunting in this game is so fucking frustrating sometimes. Decided to go for the "buy all the systems" achieve to unlock Kestrel layout B and at one point I had about 280 scrap waiting to be spent. Couldn't find a shop selling anything other than drones, augments or weapons.
    A brave heart and a courteous tongue. They shall carry thee far through the jungle, manling.

the graphics is very pretty :3

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Couldn't find a shop selling anything other than drones, augments or weapons.
    Typical. I had this one game a couple days ago where I was set on buying an additional, possibly more powerful weapon for the Kestrel A, couldn't find one for the love of god.
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Hurray! In a single game I got all three Zoltan achievements and destroyed the flagship for the first time. I think I need to quit now -- I'm never going to repeat that performance.