Page 23 of 37 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jockie's Avatar
    Yeah, Zoltan ship is very strong, got my first victory with it earlier today.

I found it really easy to get the 1 hp to full Kestrel achievement, basically save up some scrap let an enemy pound your hull to 1 hp and jump out, preferably directly to a store.
    I write about them video games at these locations

And on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Jockie View Post
    I found it really easy to get the 1 hp to full Kestrel achievement, basically save up some scrap let an enemy pound your hull to 1 hp and jump out, preferably directly to a store.
    Yes, it is easy... That way. I got my HP down to 1 by accident, and I didn't have any shop near. I casually found a quest that said "save this shop from bad guys", and had to fight them without getting a single hit. Oh, and, by the way, I only had one level of shield. I had the stealth system, though, so I got lucky, but... That was a though one. >.<

Network Hub Capt. Eduardo del Mango's Avatar
    In case anyone is struggling naming their crew, I've been using this. It's helpful - you feel for them, but you see those names and know they're going down sooner or later.

On the topic of borrowing from Cannon Fodder, Kerbal Space Program totally needs a hill covered in little white crosses.

Finally had some luck with the stories stocking what I needed for a second Kestrel achievement. I think I'm going to have fun with the Firetail.
    A brave heart and a courteous tongue. They shall carry thee far through the jungle, manling.

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Eduardo del Mango View Post
    On the topic of borrowing from Cannon Fodder, Kerbal Space Program totally needs a hill covered in little white crosses.
    That device needs to be in practically every game.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Kerbals never die. They just go to a better place.

First flagship victory! And you won't believe it, it was in the stealth cruiser! And I unlocked the Slug cruiser in the same game. What a run! I did do it on easy.

I admit that it was 80% by luck that I won. I very quickly bought a teleporter for my ship, even before buying shields, and a rockman and a mantis joined me soon after. Then I found an Ion Blast II in a shop, which I could combine with the Dual Laser to disarm ships and soften them up before boarding. Further into the game I was also given a Pegasus missile by some Engis.

Around that point, I was grinding the Slug homeworlds in an attempt to find their ship, and wouldn't you know it, I took one final jump beyond the exit beacon with the risk of having to face the rebels on the way back. And there it was, a Slug that divulged some valuable information. I got the quest for the Slug cruiser, and I was just able to outrun the rebels to the exit beacon.

The composition of my crew was rather turbulent, because even though they were succesfully able to disarm a mine that had drilled into the hull, one human was lost to giant spiders, one mantis met its end on a boarding run, but was replaced by another mantis that also died some time later on a boarding run - the enemy mantis pursued it to every corner of its ship - and then I appointed a slug to a combat role. I'll tell you what happened to him later. Around sector 6, an Engi arrives and is put on repair duty, and is soon joined by another Engi. Together they patch up the ship faster than you can say 'nanotechnology'.

Then comes the best part. I encounter a smuggler at the exit beacon of sector 6, and have enough scrap to purchase an unknown weapon for the first time ever. It turns out to be a Burst Laser III! It takes the place of my Ion Blast II.

When I get to the final sector, I have more scrap than I know what to do with. I start upgrading systems for redundancy's sake, and save about 150 scrap just in case. The first stage of the flagship is easy: I send my slug and rockman over to the missile pod immediately, and then move them to the laser pod. My pegasus missiles are aimed at the shields, and for every hit they are followed up by a volley of burst laser III. Their crew starts to take casualties, but I remain almost completely unscathed. Before I know it, the first wing of the ship breaks apart.

In anticipation of the defense drone on the next stage, I swap out my Ion Blast II for a small bomb. I set it to autofire at the drone bay. The drone surges are surprisingly harmless; that might be because the damaged drone bay cannot sustain them for very long. I only have to cloak a couple of times to avoid them. Once the bombs do enough damage to the drone bay to disable the defense drone, I let loose the missiles. The bombs are devastating against the enemy crew as well, and before I know it, it only has three crew left and the second wing breaks off. I'm still above 75% hull.

The constant barrage of bombs really burnt through my ammunition reserves. I only have seven missiles left. There is a repair beacon three jumps away. I go for it, and hope that it's not taken over by rebels before I get there. I have to deal with two rebel-controlled beacons along the way, but they don't bother me much. When I arrive at the repair station, they give me four missiles. It'll do.

The remainder of the flagship is two jumps away. For the shield, I switch back to the Ion Blast II, and swap one of my Defense drones for an Anti-Ship drone to take down its shield. The Burst Laser III will come in handy here. The rebels aren't having much luck with the superweapon either; twice I cloak in time to dodge it, and once it only gets partially through my shields to do a small amount of damage. I'm able to whittle down the shield and get some missiles off at the shields room. Two crew perish in it. I target the cockpit, and the pilot croaks as well. The super-shield recharges, and my anti-ship drone whittles away at it again, saving me missiles. One more burst of lasers, and the rebel flagship is no more.

Just one more thing. Because of the super-shield, I couldn't teleport my rockman and slug out of the laser pod in time. Sadness. Well, their sacrifice has been heroic, in their final moments of standing around and doing nothing in the middle of a destroyed weapons room.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Hypernetic's Avatar
    I also killed the flagship today. I had a pretty lucky run too. I unlocked the rock cruiser as well. I did it in the standard kessel, but I had a lot of luck with weapons. I ended the game with THREE burst 2 lasers (I think it's burst 2, the same as the one you start with) plus the artemis and a defense/self repair drone. I had no teleporter or cloak, but maxed shields and close to maxed engines before I ran out of power. OH and the BIG thing, weapon pre-igniter!

I literally destroyed each phase of the flagship in about 15 seconds.

I think I might start playing this mod: http://www.ftlgame.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2286

I downloaded one a while ago that stops the rebels advancing completely. I fancied seeing more of the game and actually unlocking a few things (grr!), but I quickly decided it was too much of a game changer. It actually makes it pretty boring and I wouldn't advise it.

The mod I linked to, however, just slows the advance of the rebels (by a definable degree) if you successfully take out or force the surrender of a rebel cruiser. A nice idea, I thought, since the vanilla game gives you next-to-no reward for fighting back at the rebels.

What do people think? Or is messing with the pace of the game considered total heresy?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    Yesssssssssssss yes yes yes!
    Finally beat that bastard sonofabitch flagship!! (on easy, of course).

Engi Layout A, an Ion Blaster, a Burst Laser Mk2 and a Hull Beam; for droids, the starting Anti-shipMk1 and anti-personnel plus a system repairer (which never saw use). 3 layers of shield, 45% evasion, level 2 cloaking field and a whooping 8 crew, including a mantis, a rock and 2 slugs.

*Feels like a man*

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by rsherhod View Post
    I think I might start playing this mod: http://www.ftlgame.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2286

I downloaded one a while ago that stops the rebels advancing completely. I fancied seeing more of the game and actually unlocking a few things (grr!), but I quickly decided it was too much of a game changer. It actually makes it pretty boring and I wouldn't advise it.

The mod I linked to, however, just slows the advance of the rebels (by a definable degree) if you successfully take out or force the surrender of a rebel cruiser. A nice idea, I thought, since the vanilla game gives you next-to-no reward for fighting back at the rebels.

What do people think? Or is messing with the pace of the game considered total heresy?
    Given how annoying it is to unlock some of the ships, I may well use the one that stops them altogether for a bit. Aside from that I think the one stopping them for a turn or two is actually a good idea, fighting the rebels off to buy time makes sense.

I dont want mods, I want more content!
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

"It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

"I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

"At least he has some personality."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jockie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    I dont want mods, I want more content!
    Yeah, it needs more types of random events and more opportunities to be able to use the blue dialogue. It also needs some kind of point-buy Ship layout designer, so you can make your own builds (but not able to just give yourself everything).

At the moment FTL is a great little game, but the potential to expand upon the wonderful central concepts and mechanics is huge.
    I write about them video games at these locations

And on Twitter

Is it just my horrible luck, or is the Osprey really shit?

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by LTK View Post
    The Federation Cruiser? I've got 3/3 wins with it, though on easy. You have a great starting crew for boarding and a weapon which ignores the shields. It's probably just a streak of bad luck.
    Last edited by mrki; 29-09-2012 at 11:29 PM. Reason: grammar

Network Hub
    So I just found out there is an option that shows all connections when you hover over a beacon in the system map. That would have helped on more than a few occasions. :)

Quote Originally Posted by mrki View Post
    So I just found out there is an option that shows all connections when you hover over a beacon in the system map. That would have helped on more than a few occasions. :)
    That was added in a recent patch.
    Admin for the RPS Divisions of Death
    General Spreadsheet busybody
    Chrom - Perpetuum
    When asked, he merely responded with a wry bleat followed by a swift kick to the testicles.
    - Rakysh

Woo, just had my second victory, this time with the Slug cruiser. Also got the achievement for killing 3 crew with one discharge of the bio-beam. The fight this time was much less tense, because I was pretty much untouchable with 4 shields and 45% dodge, and my journey through the sectors was pretty unremarkable. I did pick up a crystal stasis pod again, but couldn't do anything with it. Does anyone have a hint on what to look for next?

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I believe the next step is a Zoltan research station (I believe this normally ask you to participate in some study or other), where you'll presumably get some blue text for the stasis pod. After that you apparently get a quest marker in the Rock homeworlds, so go for red sectors and hope for the best. That last marker should get you the ship.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LTK View Post
    Osprey's only really shit against the final boss because you can't have cloak on it. So you and the boss kind of rape each other simultaneously until one of you dies.