Page 24 of 37 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast
    I got to the boss this morning. It was going so well. I had some mantis poeple to baord and take out the guns and a racket launcher that did 3 damage, burst laser mark II and a defense drone mark II. But wehn I defeated the flag shiop for the first time I forgot that my mantis poeple were still on board. So when I had to fight them the second time I couldn't beam them to the enemy drone bay to stop those pesky drones. I was so close yet so far...

Network Hub
    Also finished with the Slug cruiser. The bio beam is really good since you can start capturing ships basically from the first encounter. Just try not to kill your own boarding team with it like I did.

Does anyone have any advice for the boss at the end? Someone has probably given some elsewhere in this thread but it is a long thread.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar
    Try again.
    Sounds like you were doing okay.
    Remember to kill the boarding party before jumping.

What you need at the very least:

- Teleporter and 2 spare crew for combat, for disarming weapons
    - A missile launcher, for hull damage
    - A bomb, to disable the defense drone in stage 2 (boarders are inefficient, unless you have a way to kill lots of enemy crew without them healing)
    - 15 missiles, recommended 20
    - No less than 3 shield blips

What helps greatly:
    - Cloak, and at least 40% base evasion
    - Defense drone I or II
    - A (burst) laser, or Anti-Ship drone to whittle away the shield, especially in stage 3
    - All subsystems and life support upgraded to level 2 for redundancy
    - Reactor upgraded to max

If you get lucky, you might have multiple weapons or drones in storage, in that case you should modify your loadout to best counter the boss's strategy. That means missiles in stage 1, bombs in stage 2, and lasers in stage 3. Just be careful you don't run out of ammo.

Ps: that's one strategy. I didnt need a single missile. The fun lies in perfecting your strategies till you get there. and know that the boss has multiple special attacks in phase 3.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

"It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

"I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

"At least he has some personality."

I can pretty much get to the final sector every time, it's just that lass boss is so tough.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Gunman View Post
    I got to the boss this morning. It was going so well. I had some mantis poeple to baord and take out the guns and a racket launcher that did 3 damage, burst laser mark II and a defense drone mark II. But wehn I defeated the flag shiop for the first time I forgot that my mantis poeple were still on board. So when I had to fight them the second time I couldn't beam them to the enemy drone bay to stop those pesky drones. I was so close yet so far...
    That's such a bitch. I once boarded an enemy ship and it started warping away... it warped away with my two Mantis Marines exactly as the last enemy's death animation started playing. Ouch.

Quote Originally Posted by LTK View Post
    What you need at the very least:

- A missile launcher, for hull damage
    - A bomb, to disable the defense drone in stage 2 (boarders are inefficient, unless you have a way to kill lots of enemy crew without them healing)
    - A (burst) laser, or Anti-Ship drone to whittle away the shield, especially in stage 3
    That's redundant; if you have both the laser(any laser, even a single Basic Laser) and the bomb(any bomb, even the Small Bomb), you don't need the missiles because you use the bomb on the shield gen and then just pewpew the hull away with the laser. My battle order goes pretty much like this every time:

1. Disable the Boss' missiles, Ions, Heavy Lasers and Beams in that order, with both boarding and bombs. In later stages(especially the third) you can save some missiles and only use the boarding, but in the first stage the quicker you get it all down the better.
    2. Bomb the enemy shield gen until shields are down.
    3. Autofire any and all lasers on the shield gen.
    4. Kick back and wait.

In the third stage, you obviously have to pewpew the supershield away before proceeding with anything.
    I also pop a single Defense I drone. I prefer I over II because a) it uses half the power and b) It will only focus on missiles and not on lasers or drones which are not a problem with 45% evasion and four shields, which you should have(45% evasion is engines 5 and elite pilot/engine crewmember)
    And of course just pop the stealth in the third stage with the alpha strike.
    Last edited by Mohorovicic; 30-09-2012 at 02:49 PM.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    There are a few ways to beat the boss:

Damage: If you have absurd firepower you can simply dps the boss down without worrying about fancy tactics. Realistically you want to do this with missiles to ignore the shields altogether. It goes without saying you need a huge stock of missiles to do this (possible if, for instance, you've been using primarily boarding to kill until now) and two or three powerful launchers. The second stage's defense drones are a pain, but it's easy enough to power one bomb launcher for a while to disable those.

Boarding/bombing: Basically centred around knocking out everything on board during stage one. Use boarders to easily eliminate the weapons during stage one, then take your time and eliminate all except one of the crew (if you kill all the crew the ship becomes automated and will slowly repair itself), I recommend leaving alone the crew member on the beam weapon, he can't repair primary systems and his weapon is the least consequential. A crew-less ship renders the other stages trivial, since you can knock out systems at will. Eliminating the main crew can be tricky, since the medbay is extremely good. You'll need to disable their cloak, then hit the medbay with everything you've got and don't let them repair it.

Ion spam: Found this one worked really well with my Engi run the other day. At least two weapons capable of perma-ioning is a requirement I'd say. I had two Ion Blast II's and an (ultimately redundant) Ion Bomb. My offensive capability came from an Attack Drone I, an Attack Drone II and a Beam Drone I. Long story short, it's much the same as the pure damage method, that much Ion firepower goes through shields like a hot knife through butter. Then simply keep one auto-firing at the shields to keep them down while others keep weapons/cloak/other essentials offline. Drones do frighteningly high damage if you can keep the enemy's shields and evasion down, and the nice thing with ion-disabled systems is they can't be repaired.

Conventionally: Or you could take out the boss more or less the way you've probably been fighting until now. Hit the weapons with missiles for starters. Then start hitting the shields with missiles to make a hole for your lasers/drones to penetrate. Once you've got lasers through the shields its pretty much all over just like with any other enemy.

In all situations I'd say make sure you have 4 shields and high evasion though. Ideally the cloak too. With those things you'll survive long enough to hopefully kill the boss with whatever you have.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    The mantis ship seems brutal at the start of normal. Teleporter is your main attack but you can't really attack drone ships with shields.

Have not been past the 2nd sector.

Sending a rockman or two in with a level 2 teleporter may just give you the edge you need against automated ships. The question is, where do you get a rockman...

I did an achievement run with the Zoltan cruiser. Reactor upgrades not allowed. I hired two extra Zoltan and a Mantis. One Zoltan and the Mantis died when I got invaded by four (!) enemy mantis. The second Zoltan died when I accidentally opened all doors and airlocks, and there was no more room for him in the medbay, so he suffocated.

But I got that Manpower achievement all right! Then I was destroyed by a Slug Assault ship before I got out of sector 5.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Hypernetic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LTK View Post
    Sending a rockman or two in with a level 2 teleporter may just give you the edge you need against automated ships. The question is, where do you get a rockman...

I did an achievement run with the Zoltan cruiser. Reactor upgrades not allowed. I hired two extra Zoltan and a Mantis. One Zoltan and the Mantis died when I got invaded by four (!) enemy mantis. The second Zoltan died when I accidentally opened all doors and airlocks, and there was no more room for him in the medbay, so he suffocated.

But I got that Manpower achievement all right! Then I was destroyed by a Slug Assault ship before I got out of sector 5.
    Rockmen still need oxygen.

But it takes more time for their 150 hit points to run out than the 15 seconds the teleporter needs to recharge.

Banned
    As long as your teleporter is level 2 or higher you'll be able to pull out your guys before they die of asphyxiation. That's with the stock 100 health.

What's really frustrating with the Basilisk is that the only way to damage the enemy drone's hull is to damage the systems. This means defeating the enemy without losing crew is impossible, since someone will need to be on it to deliver the final blow.

I'm on my most serious run yet trying to win in normal difficulty.

As of Sector 7, I have a Standard Engi ship with maxed out drone control and OffensiveII&DefensiveII simultaneously, maxed out shields and reactor and 3 additional Zoltan lightbulbs which I can move around the ship like a medbay energy bar. The biggest problems I'm anticipating right now are lack of stealth/teleport and a serious lack of melee fighters. apart from useless Zoltan and Engi I only have one human and one rockman, but they are usually manning weapons and shields, and very good at it.

gotta go now, even if I'd really like to kick the mothership's butt...

Follow-up: Even on normal, the combination of two stacked reloading augments (yes, they stack!) with the default Ion Blast II, an Ion Bomb, a hull beam and Mark II Offensive/Defensive drone proved too much for the rebel flagship.

I lost 2 ship health across all three stages!! coulda left that hull repair drone at the store.
    Last edited by elephant god; 01-10-2012 at 07:49 PM.

Great job! When I first started playing, I seriously doubted if it was even possible to defeat the flagship on Normal.

You know, it feels kinda like cheating to get the Bird of Prey achievement by destroying an Auto-Scout with 6 hull, no shields and no cloak, even with the starting weapons. Oh well, new ship layout!

I started playing yesterday. Got to the second stage of the boss and I could have beaten it if I could be able to use the ships weapons while I'm being boarded. It's not that the boarders attack my weapons is that I have a psychological problem that blocks the thought of using them while I manage the crew.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikey View Post
    I started playing yesterday. Got to the second stage of the boss and I could have beaten it if I could be able to use the ships weapons while I'm being boarded. It's not that the boarders attack my weapons is that I have a psychological problem that blocks the thought of using them while I manage the crew.
    Ah, I get the same; in those situations, I pause the game, set the weapons to autofire then focus on mauling the intruders. Sure enough autofire isn't usually good enough against the boss, but it's ever than not firing anything.

Lesser Hivemind Node postinternetsyndrome's Avatar
    Pause all the time. Always. It's free.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    Until they turn it into a DLC.