Page 27 of 37 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast
Results 521 to 540 of 729
  1. #521
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus LTK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    2,199
    Quote Originally Posted by alms View Post
    Crap, I was this close to beating the boss for the first time, despite a couple mistakes in the away party management midway through the game. The silly move was stopping to repair some slight damages after beating it 3 times. Engi cruiser with Ion II, Hull Laser II and S. Bomb, 2x Anti Ship I and Defense I drones.

    This game is just so great ...when I get a lucky run and plenty of scrap. Totally lost track of time.
    That Hull Laser II is pretty great though, isn't it? The projectile velocity is insane, and if the enemy has an empty room, they're pretty much dead after you get their shields down. I really underestimated that class of weapons, but I'm not sure if the hull beam is equally powerful.

  2. #522
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,069
    The thing is, if you can take down enemy shields they're likely dead no matter what other weapons you have.

    And let's not mention all the possibilities to attack bypassing the shields completely.

  3. #523
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus alms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    3,957
    Quote Originally Posted by LTK View Post
    That Hull Laser II is pretty great though, isn't it? The projectile velocity is insane, and if the enemy has an empty room, they're pretty much dead after you get their shields down. I really underestimated that class of weapons, but I'm not sure if the hull beam is equally powerful.
    It's easily one of the most powerful weapons I had the chance to try so far. Beams can make a lot of damage but to make the most out of them, their use must be timed carefully, unless you've got a way to knock the shields out for good. The Hull Laser OTOH can pummel shields down in combination with other weapons, but also deliver actual damage, and it's almost set and forget it.

    The S. Bomb proved invaluable, too, it bypasses defense drones and I believe it isn't affected by the enemy's evasion (I can't be totally sure in the heat of combat, but it looked that way). It was instrumental in getting the boss' shields down and keeping the crew busy (and hurting thanks to the fires), while I was hammering it with my Anti-Ship Drones and Hull Laser.

    I had an Hermes missile but in the final stages I had to shelf it, it was missing or getting destroyed most of the time unlike the S. Bomb.

    Now it'll probably take ages before I manage to put together a ship that strong again :rolleyes:
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

    "You take the Klingon's detached hand"

  4. #524
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus LTK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    2,199
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohorovicic View Post
    The thing is, if you can take down enemy shields they're likely dead no matter what other weapons you have.

    And let's not mention all the possibilities to attack bypassing the shields completely.
    Well, if the enemy has no shields and all you have is a dual laser, you'll still be shooting at it for a minute or two before it's completely destroyed, whereas the Hull Laser II can get it done in two volleys, max.

    Quote Originally Posted by alms View Post
    It's easily one of the most powerful weapons I had the chance to try so far. Beams can make a lot of damage but to make the most out of them, their use must be timed carefully, unless you've got a way to knock the shields out for good. The Hull Laser OTOH can pummel shields down in combination with other weapons, but also deliver actual damage, and it's almost set and forget it.

    The S. Bomb proved invaluable, too, it bypasses defense drones and I believe it isn't affected by the enemy's evasion (I can't be totally sure in the heat of combat, but it looked that way). It was instrumental in getting the boss' shields down and keeping the crew busy (and hurting thanks to the fires), while I was hammering it with my Anti-Ship Drones and Hull Laser.
    Oh, bombs can miss just as well as missiles do. If you see it explode way outside the ship when you desperately need it to take out the enemy's weapons systems, it'll break your heart. Also your hull.

    I think the small bomb is much more powerful than the other types of bombs (breach, fire, ion, did I miss any?) because of its short charge time and relatively high damage. If it hits, depending on where you aim it, it's guaranteed that it will completely take out the medbay, oxygen, teleporter or helm save for the most powerful of ships, and if you target the shields room then it's instantly down one shield blip. The downside is that it bombs never do any hull damage, so you need other weapons to finish the job.

    I got a surprise the other day when I was flying the Rock cruiser B. A blue option appeared when I encountered a pirate ship attacking a settlement. It allowed me to teleport a firebomb down to the planet to force the settlers to surrender, which would get me part of the loot that they bribed us off with. That was pretty horrible, but hey, I was in a Rock ship, so I guess it's roleplay. End spoilers.

  5. #525
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,069
    I only really use the bombs against the boss and I found Fire Bomb to be most useful for that purpose because you can firebomb the weapon compartments and even if the entire crew dies you are still safe as the AI can't repair modules when they're on fire.

    Of course when the crew is dead you can set the rest of the ship on fire too. I think it's the best way to get the Some People Just Want To See Ships Burn achievement as long as you allow the fire to spread and target the Oxygen module last.

  6. #526
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus LTK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    2,199
    Nah, for that achievement you find a Slug Interceptor. It has five 2x1 rooms, and the engines and oxygen do not have doors that connect them to the rest of the ship. Easiest way to asphyxiate them, or to burn them out.

    I didn't do that, though, I got the achievement by burning out a Rock Scout that was piloted by a bunch of mantises. The ship was pretty big, but I had a fire beam that was easily able to burn everything before the last mantis finally croaked.

  7. #527
    Network Hub elephant god's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Posts
    337
    I prefer bombs to missiles, too, but both still use ammo, and in a game like FTL that is always too unstable to actually *rely* on.

    When up against bomb weapons myself, I usually feel like they're slightly more susceptible to evasion, even though that's improbable.

    The burning ship cheevo is still best reached with two fire beams. they simply lay down much more fire. I think i had been up against a Zoltan ship when finally - even after the crew died - ALL the tiles had caught on fire.

  8. #528
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus alms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    3,957
    Quote Originally Posted by elephant god View Post
    I prefer bombs to missiles, too, but both still use ammo, and in a game like FTL that is always too unstable to actually *rely* on.
    Ironically, yesterday I reached Sector 8 having something like 45 missiles. I went through most fights just with the combination of Ion II and Hull Laser II (and drones, when I had the parts).

    Which reminds me, why there's no way to sell extra fuel, drone parts and missiles in stores? That always looked a bit mean to me.

    And something I'd like to see implemented is an option to create "teams" or at least have the ability to rearrange the crew just like weapons.
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

    "You take the Klingon's detached hand"

  9. #529
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Faldrath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    São Paulo
    Posts
    1,177
    Quote Originally Posted by alms View Post
    Which reminds me, why there's no way to sell extra fuel, drone parts and missiles in stores? That always looked a bit mean to me.
    There are random events that let you exchange some of them for others. But, random.

  10. #530
    Network Hub Bleekill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    263
    Yeah it's annoying that you have to rely on more random merchants to sell them off. Especially when every store sells at least a few of each type. I guess there is some kind of balance issue behind it?

  11. #531
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus LTK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    2,199
    Now that I think about it, I'd say that balance-wise it might actually be better if you were able to sell your resources. Think about it: if you do find yourself with an overabundance of fuel, do you decide to sell it (for marginally less than the buying price of course) or do you try to get its worth out of it by jumping all over the place? Do you sell your missiles to buy that fancy beam weapon, or do keep a stockpile in case you run into a tough enemy?

    Because every time you do get an opportunity to trade one resource for another, it's always, always a better deal than the store gives you, even if only by two scrap. You might get an offer for 10 fuel in exchange for 2 drone parts (10*3>2*8), but not if you've just sold off all of your drone parts, on account of not having a drone system. So you'd actually be more prone to screwing yourself over by selling resources that you could have put to use later. A tough decision like that seems in its ideal place in a roguelike-like like FTL, like.

  12. #532
    Lesser Hivemind Node postinternetsyndrome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    834
    Quote Originally Posted by LTK View Post
    Now that I think about it, I'd say that balance-wise it might actually be better if you were able to sell your resources. Think about it: if you do find yourself with an overabundance of fuel, do you decide to sell it (for marginally less than the buying price of course) or do you try to get its worth out of it by jumping all over the place? Do you sell your missiles to buy that fancy beam weapon, or do keep a stockpile in case you run into a tough enemy?

    Because every time you do get an opportunity to trade one resource for another, it's always, always a better deal than the store gives you, even if only by two scrap. You might get an offer for 10 fuel in exchange for 2 drone parts (10*3>2*8), but not if you've just sold off all of your drone parts, on account of not having a drone system. So you'd actually be more prone to screwing yourself over by selling resources that you could have put to use later. A tough decision like that seems in its ideal place in a roguelike-like like FTL, like.
    Sounds pretty neat actually!

    They really should make an expansion for FTL. There are so many parts of the game that could be improved/expanded upon. I can respect the artistic vision of its current form, and I don't call for patching away what the game currently is, but an alternate campaign (or several!) of some sort would be quite nice. Designing your own ship/crew, a more freeroaming sandbox gametype; there are so many things that would go so well with the basic mechanics of the game! Hopefully they can see the promise of their own game and make reality of at least some of these things. The game has done reasonably well hasn't it? They should have the resources for something like that.

  13. #533
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus laneford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    England and Nowhere
    Posts
    1,235
    I love this game, and I'm sure it'll be in my top ten of the year.

    BUT

    48 games played.

    0 Victories.

    On easy.

    Dear lord.

  14. #534
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,069
    'sup.

    Two Rockmen + Fire Bomb = complete Boss domination. You just drop the firebomb then the Rockmen, who will almost certainly delay the crew long enough so that the fires spread all over the room, at which point the AI "gives up" trying to extinguish it at all.

    Quote Originally Posted by postinternetsyndrome View Post
    Designing your own ship/crew
    Seriously... this, so very much this. At the very least they should make every ship available to play, even the unmanned drones. I mean why not? And of course ideally you should be able to design your own ships and/or equip them(crew, rooms, weapons, etc.). I'm thinking along the lines of Dwarf Fortress, that is point buy everything(even crew skills, if you want to) with limited budget.

    And the game needs to give the player more information. "Enemy ship guards this" tells me nothing; the ship could be a drone without a shield or a Rebel Rigger which will tear me a new one. As it is, almost every choice in the game is almost completely meaningless because you always lack information to make the choice anything but a coin toss.
    Last edited by Mohorovicic; 10-10-2012 at 03:55 PM.

  15. #535
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus laneford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    England and Nowhere
    Posts
    1,235
    A 'Wrath of the Lamb' sized expansion / dlc for this would be amazing​.

  16. #536
    Lesser Hivemind Node ntw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Brighton
    Posts
    727
    Played 19, won 6

    All on easy admittedly.
    Admin for the RPS Divisions of Death
    General Spreadsheet busybody
    Chrom - Perpetuum
    When asked, he merely responded with a wry bleat followed by a swift kick to the testicles.
    - Rakysh

  17. #537
    Lesser Hivemind Node TailSwallower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Cold Toast, Straya
    Posts
    735
    Plugging along on my Sectors of the Red Night playthrough. Going rather well (knock on wood), even if my ship is still fairly underpowered. Forum link, blog link.

    Still love the game, though working on an AAR limits how much I can actually play it, what with the whole only-1-savegame thing.
    weekendwarrio.rs - We've got more games than time...

  18. #538
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,474
    Quote Originally Posted by TailSwallower View Post
    Plugging along on my Sectors of the Red Night playthrough. Going rather well (knock on wood), even if my ship is still fairly underpowered. Forum link, blog link.

    Still love the game, though working on an AAR limits how much I can actually play it, what with the whole only-1-savegame thing.
    Can you cheat and have 2 or 3 installations of it? (the phrase is usually "save scum" :P ) :D

  19. #539
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Hamilton, UK
    Posts
    1,079
    Damn it all to hell. I'd have unlocked the mantis ship and the slug ship in the same run if I'd had an upgraded medbay. :( Slug ship looks fun though.
    A brave heart and a courteous tongue. They shall carry thee far through the jungle, manling.

  20. #540
    Lesser Hivemind Node Feldspar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    634
    Actually got to the boss, and nearly downed the first phase it what seemed to be an under-weaponed Kestrel with half of the ship's hull missing. Might have gone better if I had worked out what was actually happening in the final sector. SS Shitcan, we'll miss you.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •