Page 28 of 37 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bleekill View Post
    Yeah it's annoying that you have to rely on more random merchants to sell them off. Especially when every store sells at least a few of each type. I guess there is some kind of balance issue behind it?
    If a ship were equipped with a drone recovery arm, you could sell most drone parts for scrap... but that doesn't seem a huge issue to me. I can't really think of anything else but having played my first 10-12 hours on normal, and not as much as most of you anyway, so I'm quite behind in terms of seeing what the game has to offer.
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I'm really, really enjoying this, despite it being a very unsure purchase. Still not beat it on easy, nor unlocked anything more than the Engi ship (nearly got the rock ship last run but screwed it up). But it's great fun.

Activated Node
    I've played almost 12 hours and I've yet to beat this on easy or normal.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I just picked-this-up - I'd tried the demo and whilst I liked the idea it didn't really throw itself upon me to buy it, but all the talk here and...

I think in 1 game - I died in Sector 2 on EASY - I had more peril and fun and 'close shaves' than I've had in 10 years of other games.

It's a gem!

Activated Node
    I'm usually not a space game fan, but I sunk 40-50 hours into this one. Beat the game on normal. Took several attempts on the final battle to figure out what kind of build would beat it. This game is so simple to get into and play, but presents frequent choices to keep you involved in the game. I only unlocked a couple ships, but I can see returning to this one at some point.

Played the first 12 hours on normal, and only got to the last stand once (ship was too weak). Finally beaten it a few times on easy around the 40 hours mark.

IMO there's no "one build", it's all very situational. I lost once to the boss on the second round because it had a set of weapons that I was totally unprepared for. Just because something worked one time it doesn't guarantee repeated success.

Skill in this game is not only juggling power and systems and crew. It's also about maintaing enough flexibility for most if not situations (of course, not always possible)

For all those starting some suggestions off the top of mind:

Put points in your engine (=evasion) early on, it's cheap and will decrease your hull repair costs especially against enemies with missiles. It will also make retreat easier while also minimizing the time you're exposed to enemy fire. Make sure you keep your crew losses to a minimum (spam the pause key as much as you can, med bay is your friend). Be surgical when you strike: in the first few sectors it often pays to shoot/keep disabled the enemy's weapons instead of the shields (as is often recommended). If you only have or must rely on laser/beam weapon, you may have to fire manually.

My starting strategy hinges on minimizing damage taken so there's more scrap to invest in upgrades. One of my favorites is blast doors, cheap and effective, I tend to buy that in the very early stages of the game.

Long range sensors are very useful to avoid plasma storms (can be very deadly!) if you're planning to pass through nebula sectors. If you step into a system which has solar flares, vent oxygen in all unmanned stations to minimize risk of fire spreading.
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

Lesser Hivemind Node postinternetsyndrome's Avatar
    Well the boss is exactly the same every time, so planning an endgame build is not a stupid thing to do, if you have the opportunity (you don't always).

Don't know if the spoiler tags are really necessary since this thread is already swamped with secret knowledge, but they do no harm of course.

I always misprioritize the engines, even though I know they are great. In the beginning it's so easy to waste your scrap on weapons and random stuff. There's no need to get blast doors in a panic though, you can safely wait a few sectors until boarding enemies start to turn up (well, some random events can appear earlier than that but they are rare). If you are going to enter a Mantis sector though, you better have them fully upgraded...

I never dare to preemptively vent, since an unlucky hit to the oxygen supply can leave you in a right pickle in that case. Maybe upgrading oxygen can be a good idea, just for the added hp of the system. Also, an oxygen-related protip is to open all internal doors when repressurizing rooms; they become non-damaging much faster, and I sort of imagine the oxygen percentage goes up faster too (can't confirm that though, and it doesn't seem too logical really).
    Last edited by postinternetsyndrome; 06-11-2012 at 07:09 PM.

That was beautiful.

Excellent stuff, makes me want to go play it again.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    quickFTLgame.jpg

So my quickest game ever. Something about taking the choice to let some animals on board then having to run to the shuttle...I had the engi ship with one crewmember.

Where's all the dlc for this game, I wonder. Do the devs like hate money?
    Twitter! Occasional impressions on random sim games.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Double post
    Last edited by Moraven; 14-02-2013 at 07:09 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    I can't get any satisfaction from any of the ships bit the engee one. Not letting people blow the shit out of you is a killer app. I'd mention the zoltan shield but that's actually a handicap as you end up with untalented shield maintainers.

But the engee can stop some incoming fire, or get an extra emp burst 2 and you can suffocate the bastard, some kind of fire weapon and burn them out or a task force of boarders.

But all of that starts with not getting shot.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

One of the best games in 2012. And certainly the one that felt most rewarding when I finally managed to complete it! (despite playing on easy)

Steam says I've played it for 54 Hours in total.

I've unlocked 2 new ships in all that time.

Am I unlucky or just plain shit?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    Steam says I've played it for 54 Hours in total.

I've unlocked 2 new ships in all that time.

Am I unlucky or just plain shit?
    Did you check out the ships walkthrough?

http://ftl.wikia.com/wiki/Ships

Without those details you might as well be playing chess without knowing the rules - any ship you gain will be a fluke. Remembering everything on there can help maximise your chances, but there's still a lot of luck involved in getting the right set of requirements and encounters.

Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    Did you check out the ships walkthrough?

http://ftl.wikia.com/wiki/Ships

Without those details you might as well be playing chess without knowing the rules - any ship you gain will be a fluke. Remembering everything on there can help maximise your chances, but there's still a lot of luck involved in getting the right set of requirements and encounters.
    But that's cheeeaaaating!

Although next time I feel like playing it I'll probably look this up

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    I prefer to think of it as the game that's cheating. This is just levelling the playing field.

What's next for FTL, and what other game ideas do you have stirring around?

JM: Next for us is to finish the last of the Kickstarter rewards. We’ll also start looking into whether or not a port to tablets is feasible. I have been getting itchy to start a new project and there are a number of ideas we’ve been tossing around.
    No idea what the last rewards are, but I guess not much hope is left for more FTL.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/186498/Road_to_the_IGF_Subset_Games_FTL.php