Page 35 of 37 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 LastLast
    Had a pretty good run using the stealth cruiser last night. I'm loving the things that have been added with the advanced edition so far. Of course, I annihilated almost everything, until I got to the boss, which killed me before I could damage him. I don't understand what I'm doing wrong when I'm fighting the boss - I had both maximized stealth and three shield bars, a flak cannon, heavy burst laser, improved blast doors, long range sensors, etc. Any suggestions for tactics that work against the boss?
    Want to add me on Steam? Steam name: Mr. Gert

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Boarding is very, very strong vs the boss (just remember to keep your eyes on the boss HP). Nothing else really compares, which is a considerable shame.

Also, fire suppression is crap.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Engines, you want max engines. And a pro(2 star) pilot and engine guy.

Dodging nearly everything is key. To get that much salvage I suggest you run some kind of non destructive build. Flame drone is a personal favourite, just be sure to pack anti AI weaponry. You can't board or burn without oxygen (not tried boarding with the anti oxygen guys yet). So you need a backup.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Network Hub
    Did somebody got the Rock ship special mission? Or the Ice one?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I got the ice one on the new DLC. I got close previously, but always missed the opportunity to get the "warp zone", as I ran out of the correct jumps to choose (I guess the DLC changes the RND generator so if you get the mission, you always get the correct places to go, and the old one was just "by chance" you would find the next place).

Never got the rock or slug though. It's a real shame I had to just get it through the DLC. :(

I don't find boarding "strong" versus the boss. Oh, it does allow you to disable the turrets/weps. But after that, damaging systems is difficult because you can get overrun by crew+ the med bay heals them so quick. Plus the drones/super shield variants tend to also prevent boarding from being as successful as other instances. Though if you have removed all their crew on the first encounter it's easy to take out the drone bay.

So boarding alone is risky. You still need something for defence (shield/dodge/drone) or attack (weps/drone etc).
    Last edited by TechnicalBen; 10-04-2014 at 10:50 AM.
    It is a technical difference, but's there none the less.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by L_No View Post
    I don't understand what I'm doing wrong when I'm fighting the boss - I had both maximized stealth and three shield bars, a flak cannon, heavy burst laser, improved blast doors, long range sensors, etc. Any suggestions for tactics that work against the boss?
    You did not mention engine, engine is by far the most important defence. Most late game ships can easily overwhelm three or four shields (and missiles ignore them), so I usually have the engine two bars from the top or so. Stealth is good, but for the Boss itself, best is just stealth 1, as it allows to dodge every power surge in stages 2-3. Also, you do not really need max stealth if you don't have very long-charging weapons, like Halberd Beam or Bombs.

First thing to do is to disable the rocket turret, ASAP, those three rockets will devastate your ship. Hit stealth just after they fire but before they reach you, preferably. Then ion turret, then probably beam and the laser one. The best and most fool-proof way to do it is to use a teleporter and get two motherfuckers into that cramped room. There might be issues if the Boss hacks your teleport, but it won't stop you.

The general thing about Boss is that somehow you need to have a reliable way of bypassing five shields and doing major damage later on. This means either a lot of lazers/flaks, some drone-proof setup of rocket launchers with a huge pile of missiles or some ion/fire/breach bombs. Myself, I rarely go for the missiles, as they run out quickly. In my recent Kestrel B run, two Flak I and a Burst Laser MkII had no problems getting through. Edit: And an Ion Bomb. Was not essential, but sure helped.
    Last edited by mouton; 10-04-2014 at 12:51 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    To get the rock ship? I kept failing the Rock mission due to my crew annihilation addiction.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Kajo View Post
    Did somebody got the Rock ship special mission? Or the Ice one?
    I got both. Rock ship is relatively easy, you just have to survive one battle in the sun until the enemy jumps away and follow two quest markers. The Crystal Cruiser is the worst, because it relies on you getting three specific random events in one game. There are guides on Steam that give you all the details that can make it more likely. I wouldn't count on getting it, this way lies insanity.

Getting Crystal Cruiser has the cool side effect of getting to the Crystal sector, though.

Quote Originally Posted by mouton View Post
    You did not mention engine, engine is by far the most important defence.
    My engine was upgraded quite far too. Thanks for your advice, I usually don't bother with boarding, but will certainly give it a try.
    Want to add me on Steam? Steam name: Mr. Gert

Sweet! I finally beat the Boss on easy with the Kestrel's pirate layout (C). That one is a boarding machine!

It's really fun with a teleporter and the default Ion Stunner. Lure everyone in a room stun and then beat the crap out of them. And a Lanius guy by default? That's even better. At one time I had all but 3 rooms of my ship without oxygen. That one guy saved my ass by not giving a shit about vacuum :D

Also, the constantly oxygen-free engine room inspired me to leave other rooms open to space. With some higher level doors this is quite effective against boarding parties. I'm looking forward to playing with the Lanius cruiser.
    By the way, did someone use a Lanius as a boarding party? I guess the oxygen draining is a bit too slow to be helpful?

Next attempt is going to be with the Zoltan cruiser (also just unlocked).

Quote Originally Posted by Ernesto View Post
    By the way, did someone use a Lanius as a boarding party? I guess the oxygen draining is a bit too slow to be helpful?
    Oh hell no, Lanius boarders wreck everyone. The Lanius B comes with a teleporter by default. Having two of them in a room depletes it of oxygen in no time, and the enemy crew will usually just want to get the hell out of there rather than suffocate, so your crew can just destroy that room's system at their leisure and then move on to exterminate the crew. They're highly effective, and it only took me two tries with that ship to get a Normal victory.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernesto View Post
    Also, the constantly oxygen-free engine room inspired me to leave other rooms open to space. With some higher level doors this is quite effective against boarding parties.
    Yeah, it is pretty awesome. On Lanius Cruiser I just vent the whole ship except for the starting human pilot.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    Why do I suck so much?

I can regularly get to the final boss but he constantly beats me. I've not won once!

I've tried Mind Control to various degress of success. Haven't tried boarding or any of that jazz yet, however.
    steam: sketch

Lesser Hivemind Node postinternetsyndrome's Avatar
    The boss is pretty much a different game than the rest of it. You have to plan for it in parallell, since the same strategies that work well against normal enemies won't be as relevant.

As has been said above, high engine is very helpful, since the number of projectiles it unloads against you is so high. Cloak is very good here, since it allows you to dodge the triple missiles quite reliably. You need a method for taking down the shieds. Normal pew pew can do it, but you need a lot of firepower. Hacking system, bombs or missiles can make that part much easier. Taking out the weapon bays is very useful too, since they can't be repaired. Boarders are good for that.

It's very doable, but relies on you having a good run where you get the scrap to make lots of upgrades and buy good weapons. You don't suck, it's simply not a logical conclusion to the game - it's a new one after the first one ends.

Quote Originally Posted by LTK View Post
    Oh hell no, Lanius boarders wreck everyone. The Lanius B comes with a teleporter by default. Having two of them in a room depletes it of oxygen in no time, and the enemy crew will usually just want to get the hell out of there rather than suffocate, so your crew can just destroy that room's system at their leisure and then move on to exterminate the crew. They're highly effective, and it only took me two tries with that ship to get a Normal victory.
    Hmm... In that case targeting the oxygen supply first makes sense (apart from the suffocate-me-cruiser). And it sounds a bit overpowered.

I'm curious: So when I leave the door to a 'Lanius' room' open will it also drain the adjacent room?

Yeah, and with a standard oxygen system it'll drain the ship faster than it's able to replenish. I have a habit of using the 'open all doors' button to equalise all the rooms' oxygen levels, but you do not want to do that with a Lanius on the ship. If you accidentally leave a few doors open, or leave your Lanius crew member in the wrong room, your other crew might have lost a third of their health from lack of oxygen by the time you notice.

You won't even have to bother with disabling the oxygen system, though. I mean, you can, but it's a much better idea to take out the weapons so they're not going to be firing at you while you hunt down the crew.

Equalizing oxygen levels. Thanks, that's a neat trick! I always wondered what the 'open all doors button' could be used for.

Often weapons or shields rooms have a size of 4 tiles. So when I teleport in there, it quickly get's 3 or 4 of them vs. 2 of mine. In the last run I often attacked the pilot first, thus reducing their ability to dodge while constantly ion stunning the guys who try to boost/repair shields.

Activated Node
    Yeah, boarding with Lanius is ace. My strategy generally is to hack pilot room and teleport there, pilot dies in no time and soon ships not going anywahere and it's easier to hit, then i kill the rest of them.
    I'm still struggling with Boss ship on easy even with setups I wouldn't probably lost more then 25% (probably not even that). Yesterday i made run with Kestrel A and had absolutly op setup: teleport, cloaking, full generator + one upgrade, almost maxed out engiens, burst laser mk2 x 2, ion charger, laser charger, that makes at the top: 3 ion and 8 laser salvo and still barly scrape victory with 20% health left. Somwhow i'm losing my cool with these new boss abilities and i'm making a lot of costly mistakes.

i guess, us, android users, will have to wait for tablet version last , as always. meh.
    Last edited by grasskit; 11-04-2014 at 11:38 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    It might end up being my first game purchase (apart from bundles) on Android. Yep, if a game is good enough, I'm happy to buy it multiple times on different platforms.

(See no "gamer entitlement". Were not all scum. It's just we like honest developers who say "we will port but it's an extra purchase" and not lie with "we will release it, you get all the copies... oh no we lost sales, wait we take it back!". I actually got Mirrors Edge as many times as I needed for different platforms to play, but no idea if EA took a hint from little old me...) :)
    It is a technical difference, but's there none the less.