Page 37 of 37 FirstFirst ... 27353637
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by postinternetsyndrome View Post
    Has anyone else experienced a bug with the "friendly slaver" event in the AE? The one where you choose between buying a slave, attacking or leaving. I've several times chosen to fight, only for the slaver ship to turn neutral and no combat happens. I'll have to try choosing the other option next time to see if they've switched places...
    yeah. i got it. but when i decided to attack the fight went normally. they often offer you a free slave as a peace offering if you are kicking their butt too much so i never went for other options

I had wondered why this thread was suddenly being populated with new replies, only to finally see that new content had been released. Huzzah!

Unfortunately, or perhaps fortunately, my attention span for roguelikes tends to happen in short, intense bursts. So, I will likely re-download FTL, play it obsessively for three weeks (or as obsessively as I can do responsibly these days), and then never touch it again. That's how it worked for Dredmor, at least.

Network Hub
    I managed to get destroy a ship with a defence drone and unlock the second rock cruiser.

Type B is generally better, since it isn't relying on only missiles, but you'll need a way to get down enemy shields (flak I was my only weapon found in 8 sectors :( )

So, I made it to the final sector [and died] on my very first playthrough, only to never return.

Granted, I've not put a ton of effort into the game (maybe ~15 hours total), but has this happened to anyone else?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Wolfenswan's Avatar
    It happens quite a lot I think as "getting to the final sector" is a completely different challenge than beating the final boss.

Some ship designs have an easy time with the stuff along the road but can't scratch the boss and vice versa. Gearing/Upgrading in a way that you're both able to survive the next encounter AND able to beat the boss is the overall challenge.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfenswan View Post
    Some ship designs have an easy time with the stuff along the road but can't scratch the boss and vice versa. Gearing/Upgrading in a way that you're both able to survive the next encounter AND able to beat the boss is the overall challenge.
    I dunno, stuff that will kill the flagship will help along the way just as well. A bunch of MurderLasers needed to punch through its shields will equally punch through any other shield. It's just that some weapons/tactics are not effective against the flagship.

You need a way to quickly disable weapons, to dodge a lot of stuff and to get through the shields fast. Exact way of achieving the above is irrelevant. Well, okay, near-maxed engine is probably a requirement - if someone gets there with engine 3 or something, they just might quit.

Lesser Hivemind Node postinternetsyndrome's Avatar
    I uninstalled the game again, since I got stuck trying to unlock some stuff and felt I wasn't enjoying it anymore. The RPS newspost today where they mentioned the Captain's Edition rekindled my interest though. My main question is: Does installing mods fudge up your progress/achievements etc? I've never used mods with ftl before.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Depends on the mod, really. As far as I know just the Captain's Edition won't stop that as it still spawns the sector specific events that unlock certain ships. But if you use the infinite addon for the captain's edition, then yes, it does hinder those unlocks that depend upon a certain event happening.

That news post also inspired me to try the Captains Edition (with a couple of other mods - the backgrounds one is beautiful!) and it was a pretty painless experience. No damage done to achievements or unlocks but it does make some of them a lot easier, and a couple slightly harder to achieve.

Overall though, while I felt Advanced Edition didn't really rekindle my love of FTL as much as I was hoping the Captains Edition and a few select other mods have really done the job.