Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar

APB on steam - Worth playing yet?

I know this game has extremists om both sides, but as someone who found the combat fun but a little primitive, the context of paying for advantages unnecessary and the driving lag disgusting. Is the game much improved?
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Network Hub Gentleman Jim Stacey's Avatar
    Simine Fralinie's bookshop, east Canalworks, Vivec
    I played it in the summer. It wasn't too bad but thanks to the lag, extremely stiff shooting, and stupidly unfair missions, I eventually lost interest.

I had fun making a grizzled detective looking character and an OCP squad car, though.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jockie's Avatar
    Last time I played it, it was still dogged by cheating and the f2p/premium/weapon rental system etc was overly confusing and the customisation was sadly limited as a free player.

The game has always been horribly optimised too and runs like crap in terms of FPS on my system, despite more than surpassing all the reqs.

Still think it has tons of potential though.
    I write about them video games at these locations

And on Twitter

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jockie View Post
    Still think it has tons of potential though.
    Yes, it does, but sadly I've got to agree above with the above in that it's not a high quality release.

I don't think the customisation was even that good, if I'm honest. Sometimes having too much choice is not a good thing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by UnravThreads View Post
    I don't think the customisation was even that good, if I'm honest. Sometimes having too much choice is not a good thing.
    I thought the toolsets were pretty good (very few games offer up anything comparable lets be honest), it was daft things like not being able to mirror decals that were an issue.

I do get what you're saying that too much did tend to make everyone go a bit overboard though. Personally I went for a very particular minimal look with my character (tapping into a sort of understated Neo geisha vibe) and stuck with it, rather than going OB with the crazy colours and tattoos.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    It has the best customization of any MMO I've ever seen. That being said, it really depends on who actually takes advantage of it and how they do so - as well as a few more mundane caveats such as how textures wash out and shards are severely limited in player count due to the high volume of decal overlays - but just in terms of making your products reflect you, nothing comes close.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    It has the best customization of any MMO I've ever seen. That being said, it really depends on who actually takes advantage of it and how they do so - as well as a few more mundane caveats such as how textures wash out and shards are severely limited in player count due to the high volume of decal overlays - but just in terms of making your products reflect you, nothing comes close.
    Having "the best customisation of any MMO" isn't really saying much, though, as very few tend to have anything truly decent.

I played for about 4 months, even subscribed during the beta for a couple of months. But the game has the most hostile community I have ever come across, all they do is whine and complain day in and day out, and its that, which finally made me uninstall.
    illiteratereviews.com Some badly written reviews, by me, and anyone else who wants to.

Having "the best customisation of any MMO" isn't really saying much, though, as very few tend to have anything truly decent.
    And the reason they don't is because, the more variables you allow the player to define, the fewer players you can render in the world without chugging.

Quote Originally Posted by illiterate View Post
    I played for about 4 months, even subscribed during the beta for a couple of months. But the game has the most hostile community I have ever come across, all they do is whine and complain day in and day out, and its that, which finally made me uninstall.
    Played through beta and through the game's whole two months of retail existence, and while the community was still MMO cesspool-worthy - with plenty of speculation as to whether we got the worst of both the MMORPG and the MPFPS worlds - it was always the game design that was hostile, in my opinion, rather than the gamers.

Imbalanced sides (Enforcers had a whole class of weapons unavailable to Criminals that were impossible to defend against and took Criminals out of the fight longer than conventional weapons. Also, Enforcers could initiate fights with Criminals at will - something Criminals couldn't do), a broken ladder system, a broken backup system, map exploits and default-always-on VoIP meant that it felt like the game was actively colluding with your opponents to stomp you, beat you into a corner, humiliate you and taunt you for ten minutes at a time.
    Last edited by Nalano; 08-12-2011 at 06:08 PM.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Not worth spending any actual money on it.

I was under the impression that APB on Steam was dead in the water and APB Reloaded was still F2P.

I liked the original - despite its many, many* flaws - but I'm not playing the Reloaded bit at the moment due to better options and not liking MMOs in general and F2P MMOs in specific.

*It was a bad idea to give starting players the worst gun and the most unresponsive car in the game, it was a bad idea to make top geared players almost unbeatable to starting players in a multiplayer shooter, I hate rank ladders because they suck the fun out of what should be craziness, neither the old guys nor the new guys figured out how to deal with aimbots, real currency markets means pay-to-win, the enforcers' nonlethal weapons were horribly overpowered, and there were plenty of racist and vulgar players and player-made artwork.
    Last edited by Nalano; 07-12-2011 at 08:16 PM.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    When I played it back before RTW died, it was a lot of fun with friends. All the meh driving and shooting didn't really matter. I think "organic" describes it best - those missions where you had to go to a specific location and defend or attack it from other players are ace. I never felt forced to play in a specific way by the designers.

Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    When I played it back before RTW died, it was a lot of fun with friends. All the meh driving and shooting didn't really matter. I think "organic" describes it best - those missions where you had to go to a specific location and defend or attack it from other players are ace. I never felt forced to play in a specific way by the designers.
    The most fun I had in that game was when I stopped caring about my ladder ranking.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    The more I stare at that pic the funnier it gets.

Positively guaranteed no bombs.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Positively guaranteed no bombs.
    I can't tell if that's a stroke of genius, or in the worst possible taste.
    Probably about half-way between the two.
    Steam ID: Fiyenyaa.
    My Blog: http://strollinggamely.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Fiyenyaa View Post
    I can't tell if that's a stroke of genius, or in the worst possible taste.
    Probably about half-way between the two.
    Considering how much fun I've been having with Saints Row 3 of late, I'm just gonna say "both."

(One of the upgrades for vehicles is "larger explosions when destroyed." We thought it was pointless but thematic... until we realized that suicide carbombing folks was surprisingly effective. Who knew, right?)
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Or maybe Nalano is actually Chris Morris in disguise.

Lesser Hivemind Node DigitalSignalX's Avatar
    SR3 needs a ALALALALALALALALALA wail as you dive into traffic in an armored vehicle.
    All times I have enjoyed greatly, have suffered greatly, both with those that loved me, and alone.

If you fancy an MMO, that's F2P on steam, go with EQ2 ;)