Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus LowKey's Avatar

Computer Game Songs

Hello you fine bunch of ladies and gentlemen, so I just finished Bastion and particularly enjoyed the soundtrack, my knowledge of good songs from games (thinking more lyrical songs that scores) is lacking and I was wondering if anyone could be so good as to recommend some?

Network Hub
    Well, there's of course the (in?)famous Portal end credits song, and Portal 2 also had one as far as I remember, though those are obviously more on the comedic side of the spectrum.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus thegooseking's Avatar
    It of course depends what your definition of 'good' is as regards songs, but there are quite a few that are... not unpleasant in Dreamfall. You may find them a bit anodyne if they're not to your taste, though.
    "Moronic cynicism is a kind of na´vetÚ. It's na´vetÚ turned inside-out. Na´vetÚ wearing a sneer." -Momus

There are very few soundtracks from games that I've wanted to listen to out of the context of the actual game. Homeworld is one (although it is overshadowed by that one track in it).

GTA games have good ones but they're probably cheating.

There's always Doom music of course...

Edit: I also liked the bitchip tunes in Darwinia. They were actually made by this guy - http://trash80.net/ although I don't know how many of the soundtrack songs are available on that site now.
    Last edited by FuriKuri!; 09-12-2011 at 05:32 PM.

From way back, I really enjoyed the 7th Guest one. I remember that the game cd could be placed inside a cd player and skipping the first track you could listen to all the music and sounds.
    The composer, some Fat Man is very famous on the music part of the game industry.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus thegooseking's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gotem View Post
    From way back, I really enjoyed the 7th Guest one. I remember that the game cd could be placed inside a cd player and skipping the first track you could listen to all the music and sounds.
    The composer, some Fat Man is very famous on the music part of the game industry.
    I don't think I've played a single game he's written for (and yes, that includes Wing Commander, to my shame), but I do have his book, and it's awesome.
    "Moronic cynicism is a kind of na´vetÚ. It's na´vetÚ turned inside-out. Na´vetÚ wearing a sneer." -Momus

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    thinking more lyrical songs
    ^ take heed
    10char
    Support for my all-pepperjack-cheese food bank charity drive has been lukewarm at best.

Network Hub
    Vampire: The Masqueare - Bloodlines also had some fairly good music, mostly licensed from various bands (including among others Tiamat and Lacuna Coil), and an adapted version of 'So What' by Ministry, by their lead singer himself.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar

These have been posted before, and rightly so.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Vexing Vision's Avatar
    While not containing any lyrics, it is worth mentioning that the OST to Quake 2 was written and performed by Trent Reznor. And if that name doesn't ring a bell, the soundtrack is probably not to your liking anyway. :)
    NETWORKING 101 SIGNATURE INCOMING
    Playing games with each other makes for the best business contacts, so feel free to add me on LinkedIn.
    You should also follow me on Twitter.

Hard to suggest music when I don't know your personal taste, but...

If console games count, then Somnia Memorias (Parasite Eve), The Sacred Wind (Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles), Shinin' (Lumines) and Room of Angel (Silent Hill 4) are pretty good. Brutal Legend and SSX3 have awesome licensed soundtracks.

As for PC, Baba Yetu (Civilization IV), My Darling Curse (Dreamfall), Just You And Me (And Teddie E. Bear) (Sam & Max Season 1: The Mole, the Mob and the Meatball), Still Alive (Mirror's Edge) and Born Bad, Legacy and Drop the Hammer (Full Throttle) are pretty awesome.

When it comes to stuff with lyrics I can think of the songs in Final Fantasys VIII and IX off the top of my head, and I really wish I could just purge them from the mind.

Newer: Plants vs Zombies? Also while I have yet to play To the Moon, did the same woman not make a song for that as well?

Lesser Hivemind Node

Quote Originally Posted by Vexing Vision View Post
    While not containing any lyrics, it is worth mentioning that the OST to Quake 2 was written and performed by Trent Reznor. And if that name doesn't ring a bell, the soundtrack is probably not to your liking anyway. :)
    That was Quake 1. Quake 2 was done by Sonic Mayhem.

Although Silent Hills are mostly console games, they've also had PC-versions, so I guess they could be included?
    I've always enjoyed immensely those songs with Mary Elizabeth McGlynn, not only do they tie themselves nicely to the games lyrically but are also fine pieces of rock music.

Mass Effect (the first) has a rather good end credits song.

The Witcher has a rather nice variation on the main theme as the credits roll.

And maybe wandering a little way offtopic, I was disappointed to find that Far Cry 2 didn't include the almighty Barra Barra by Rachid Taha that was used in the UK TV ad.

There is nothing more powerful than a bad idea who's time has come...

In Borderlands, the opening credits has a very good song called "Ain't No Rest for the Wicked" by Cage the Elephant. The opening credits of the game was well done, had a very cinematic feel and the music set the right tone for the game as well.

Lesser Hivemind Node DigitalSignalX's Avatar
    @Starry: Agree - one of the few times I enjoyed credits before a game starts.
    All times I have enjoyed greatly, have suffered greatly, both with those that loved me, and alone.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    How about the Full Throttle intro?

The theme song for Serious Sam 3 is quite catchy.