Ruse Sale: Do I want it?

So, R.U.S.E. is only $9 on gamersgate. I've been looking for a strategy game that's not as hectic and doesn't require the precision of SC2, but is not as slow as Civ V or Paradox's games. Is this what I'm looking for? It looks pretty good.
    Mac user. Yeah, I know.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    It certainly fits your description. It's more about the grand strategy than battle tactics. It also looks and sounds spectacular...

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I picked it up too. I've heard lots of good things about it. It's meant to be one of the best strategy games of recent years.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    It's awfully pretty and we'll regarded (except the ai) but I can't help but expect the discount will be beaten at Christmas.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Does it matter? When a game like that costs less than the cost of two pints in my local, saving an extra 50p is neither here or there. Unless you're really really broke. In which case, you probably have more important things to spend your money on.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Vexing Vision's Avatar
    It's a surprisingly solid game where real strategy is a lot more important than how fast you can click.

Of course, for some utterly strange reason, they had to release the game at the very same time StarCraft 2 was released, which is pretty much the only reason it never got the success it deserved.
    NETWORKING 101 SIGNATURE INCOMING
    Playing games with each other makes for the best business contacts, so feel free to add me on LinkedIn.
    You should also follow me on Twitter.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Its hectic, god is it hectic. i couldn't pass the demo level because their was way to much going on and you had to juggle 3 things at once. Definitly not a game for me.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    The consensus has generally been that it's a great quick strategy game if you plan to play it MP, but the SP is pretty useless on account of a bog-standard linear campaign and useless skirmish AI.

I thought they had some unique and fun to play missions in the SP, which RTS games usually fail at, but the AI dragged it down some. I still recommend the SP & MP, even at full price.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I bought it in a sale some time ago, but only really played the SP. Thought it was fairly enjoyable actually. Certainly not exceptional, but perfectly fine to while away a few hours. It was definitely much better than the campaign in World in Conflict, which I found incredibly boring.

The only problem, which is the reason I've not played the multiplayer mode yet, is it doesn't introduce the various sides very well.

So, I think I'll buy it. Xercies, when you said it was hectic, is it as fast paced as StarCraft 2? Will I have to know build orders and stuff?
    Mac user. Yeah, I know.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Not to speak for Xercies, but I think he is probably referring to the fact that the game can have a lot happening at once. You certainly do not need to click a lot and be hammering away at hotkeys, but I imagine multiplayer games do require you to keep track of what is going on in multiple places at once.

What is the online community like for this? I wouldn't mind having an alternative online strategy game to Starcraft.

Hmm sounds fun, but im not sure my mac is up to the task. It says it requires a 3 Ghz Core 2 duo, but mine's only 2.6. I don't think my graphics card is gonna do the trick either.
    Mac user. Yeah, I know.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTedinator View Post
    Hmm sounds fun, but im not sure my mac is up to the task. It says it requires a 3 Ghz Core 2 duo, but mine's only 2.6. I don't think my graphics card is gonna do the trick either.
    There is a demo out for PC, try seeing if there is a Mac version to see how well it runs.

It doesn't look like theres a mac demo. Perhaps I'll wait for the christmas sale.
    Mac user. Yeah, I know.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Not to speak for Xercies, but I think he is probably referring to the fact that the game can have a lot happening at once. You certainly do not need to click a lot and be hammering away at hotkeys, but I imagine multiplayer games do require you to keep track of what is going on in multiple places at once.
    Yep i was mentioning this, since its a lot to do with the RUSE mechanic and the card and a lot of times you have multiple objectives and battle lines it can get hectic in the way you have to keep on top of things. No you don't have to have a 140 clicks per second thing.

Yeah, it sounds like just what I want, but it says it won't run. Anybody have any experience with it? Performance-wise, i mean.
    Mac user. Yeah, I know.