Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar

US UAV Recently Got Hijacked and Subsequently Captured by Iranians?!

You mates have any information which company made that UAV? Electronics? That company must be in deep trouble now, if I am a US general I would shot that company's CEO myself.

And the electronic warfare between the USA and Iran seems to be going more and more fierce. I hope this is where the conflict would concludes itself. Otherwise......

Lesser Hivemind Node westyfield's Avatar
    Source? I haven't heard about this, do you have any (preferably English-language) news sites confirming or denying that this happened?

No English I apologize, but I would look for it.

Let's see the Hong Kong's source first. I really never have seen that UAV model before, it's RQ-170.

http://hk.apple.nextmedia.com/templa...rt_id=15879691
    Last edited by squirrel; 10-12-2011 at 03:16 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Skalpadda's Avatar
    Squirrel's link didn't load at all for me, I'm guessing it's about this?
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-16098562

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    "Washington and Israel have not ruled out military action against Iran's nuclear facilities if sanctions and diplomacy fail."
    yay. another war. because they solve everything.

about the drone: somebody had to f--- up as i presume the communication between drone and control mechanisms should be encrypted and there is not enough time to decrypt it when it flies around. unless they reused codes which were simple to begin with. or somebody forgot to check encrypt box. or somebody gave iranian stuff to take over the machine.

or it malfunctioned and slowly glided to the ground.

Or the drone that Iran is displaying is a model and not the real thing.
    "You go up to a man, and you say, "How are things going, Joe?" and he says, "Oh fine, fine — couldn't be better." And you look into his eyes, and you see things really couldn't be much worse. When you get right down to it, everybody's having a perfectly lousy time of it, and I mean everybody. And the hell of it is, nothing seems to help much." - Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

it's also on theregister.co.uk - they surmise it's probably a fake/model.
    Admin for the RPS Divisions of Death
    General Spreadsheet busybody
    Chrom - Perpetuum
    When asked, he merely responded with a wry bleat followed by a swift kick to the testicles.
    - Rakysh

Lesser Hivemind Node DigitalSignalX's Avatar
    My understanding is there was a malfunction and flight control /2 way was lost, not hacked or shot down. They are designed to fly on auto-pilot or automatically return to base while waiting to reestablish control. When fuel is an issue they glide to a minimum angle crash.

Christian Science Monitor writes:

Pilots fly UAVs in Iraq or Afghanistan, for example, through a web of fiber-optic cables and satellite dishes. Phone lines carry flight commands from US military ground control to satellite dishes in Europe, which then relay the commands to other small satellite dishes on the Predator, Martin explains.
    The string of computer nodes means a two-second lag between the pilot’s command and the aircraft’s response. That’s why pilots based in, say, Kandahar fly the drones during takeoff, then transfer the controls to other Air Force pilots based in Nevada. When it’s time for the drones to land, the Nevada-based pilots then hand back the controls to their counterparts in Kandahar.
    But given the complex and varied nature of the communications network that connects the pilots to their drones, links are often lost.
    Martin recalls an instance in which his screen froze just has he was preparing to fire one of the missiles on his Predator. “Suddenly, just before I fired, the screen froze. Alarms began sounding and warnings flashed,” he recounts in his book.
    “There had been a power outage in the satellite uplink in Europe. I had no further control of the plane.”
    In such cases, UAVs are left to their own devices. Though they are generally programmed to fly a pre-determined – and thus trackable – path until pilots are back online, in the past the US military has been forced to shoot down renegade drones. In other instances, they simply crash.
    “From a secrecy standpoint, it’s like dropping a Ferrari into an ox-cart technology culture,” national security analyst Richard Aboulafia told Air Force Times. “But I’m sure they can sell it to someone who can get some kind of information out of it. But the mission systems are likely to be too encrypted to be of use to anyone.”
    The Iranian news site Nasim reported Thursday that Russian and Chinese experts were on their way to Iran to examine the downed drone.
    Ty Rogoway, an aviation writer and photographer who blogs at AviationIntel.com, notes that the RQ-170 has done much of its work over Pakistan, a country with close ties to China.
    “If indeed Iran shot down an RQ-170 as it has claimed, or one had crashed while spying on Iran’s nuclear program or conducting other duties over their airspace, it may be a technological loss to America but not to the extent that all of our most sensitive stealth secrets would be totally compromised,” he writes. “In other words, the wreckage would be akin to say (with great speculation) America’s early 90′s stealth technology, with a few sensitive modern subsystems onboard.”
    The most sensitive items would be the airframes skin coating and the radar

... AESA radar. This is a very advanced radar that really is a difference maker for our next generation of planes, not just drones, but also manned ones like F-22s and F-35s
    Last edited by DigitalSignalX; 10-12-2011 at 02:12 PM.
    All times I have enjoyed greatly, have suffered greatly, both with those that loved me, and alone.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    “From a secrecy standpoint, it’s like dropping a Ferrari into an ox-cart technology culture,”

lol. Americans and their opinion on the world. So full of themselves. It's more like dropping Ferrari into Fiat-driving culture, mate. If it is real drone bye bye all secrets this drone contains.

Lesser Hivemind Node westyfield's Avatar
    I'm a bit surprised they don't have a small explosive charge on a separate control circuit in their drones for just this eventuality.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Yep you would think that a drone like this would have somewhere in its memory that automatically deletes itself if it doesn't get back to base after a certain length of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukasz View Post
    “From a secrecy standpoint, it’s like dropping a Ferrari into an ox-cart technology culture,”

lol. Americans and their opinion on the world. So full of themselves. It's more like dropping Ferrari into Fiat-driving culture, mate. If it is real drone bye bye all secrets this drone contains.
    Considering that Iran's most advanced drone technology is more Bond villain than a useful piece of kit I don't think that the comparison is too hyperbolic. The software is probably the most important thing for Iranian engineers to have access too, although for all we know the drone's internal electronics could have been fried automatically.
    RPS Arma 2 community server!
    Join us for tacticlol manshootery, explosions and helicopter crashes.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph-Sulphur View Post
    Considering that Iran's most advanced drone technology is more Bond villain than a useful piece of kit I don't think that the comparison is too hyperbolic. The software is probably the most important thing for Iranian engineers to have access too, although for all we know the drone's internal electronics could have been fried automatically.
    They'll likely just ship it to China and have it reverse-engineered.

But honestly. "It got lost?" Jon Stewart skewered that right-quick.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    They'll likely just ship it to China and have it reverse-engineered.
    And we happily accept the gift, thanks yanks, and Merry Christmas.

But seriously, that's exactly what UAV is for, right? If it was a U2 that malfunctioned, you would now have a hostage being held.

And more importantly and also SERIOUSLY, if you want to care about the pandas, I suggest you to watch out for bears instead. Pandas generally are too lazy to kill, but bears do, and they kill for a living, not just for fun.
    Last edited by squirrel; 11-12-2011 at 02:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
    But seriously, that's exactly what UAV is for, right? If it was a U2 that malfunctioned, you would now have a hostage being held.
    Well, remember the spy plane incident with China? We basically just held our noses, shook hands, and walked away.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Of course we remember it, and so as we remember that you bombed the hell out of our Yugoslavia embassy just because of an unreliable belief that we held part of the wreckage of the downed F117, too. And only about 8 years later, you retired that obsolete planes yourselves in 2007. A so-called fighter-bomber which cannot even defend itself since it is in lack any self-defence weapon, and you yanks killed three innocent Chineses just to "protect the secret" of that stupid plane.

And for the pilot that was KIA in the incident, you do know that we actually had the right to charge those US military personnel of murder, right? We chose not to press charges just so that the crisis would not escalate itself. They could go because we let them to, remember that. If you dont believe this, for the next time try sending you Navy Seal Team 6 to recuse, and for the sake of self-defence we are perfectly capable of sending them on their right way.

I really dont understand you yanks. You have a real enemy you dont deal with, and you pick up on someone who are not ambitious. Can you name any war in the last century that China was an invader? Dont tell me the term "Korean War", that's unarguably a self-defence war by China.

Of course we remember it, and so as we remember that you bombed the hell out of our Yugoslavia embassy just because of an unreliable belief that we held part of the wreckage of the downed F117, too. And only about 8 years later, you retired that obsolete planes yourselves in 2007. A so-called fighter-bomber which cannot even defend itself since it is in lack any self-defence weapon, and you yanks killed three innocent Chineses just to "protect the secret" of that stupid plane.

And for the pilot that was KIA in the incident, you do know that we actually had the right to charge those US military personnel of murder, right? We chose not to press charges just so that the crisis would not escalate itself. They could go because we let them to, remember that. If you dont believe this, for the next time try sending you Navy Seal Team 6 to recuse, and for the sake of self-defence we are perfectly capable of sending them on their right way.

I really dont understand you yanks. You have a real enemy you dont deal with, and you pick up on someone who are not ambitious. Can you name any war in the last century that China was an invader? Dont tell me the term "Korean War", that's unarguably a self-defence war by China.
    I mentioned it because it was an example of how such a scenario would play out, not to discuss the finer points of (rather erratic) Sino-American relations.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    I mentioned it because it was an example of how such a scenario would play out, not to discuss the finer points of (rather erratic) Sino-American relations.
    Anyway, since those are spying activities, I believe that responsible governments should keep them in low profile. The 2001 "Hainan Island incident" is merely a result of too high profile US surveillance activities over us at that time. In this regard, it's really not that erratic.

Oh, and I just checked it out. That drone is a Lockheed Martin's product. Boeing, what a great Christmas present you've got.

Okay, I'll bite, but only because this is a load of crap and I wouldn't want anyone to read this and think that its the truth.

I'm not sure where you got the idea of the bombing taking place in order to destroy F-117 parts from. There are two possible scenarios: The first is that the bombing was in fact an accident, but this seems pretty unlikely, as this explanation is based on the idea that out-of-date maps were used, which is most likely not the case.

The second is that the strike was carried out because the Chinese embassy was providing communications assistance for a known Serb war criminal, possibly in exchange for F-117 parts. I'm not sure where you got the idea that the bombing was some kind of punitive measure, but the reality is that if the bombing was intentional there was most likely a more substantial reason behind it.

Yes, I'm sure that the US pilots intentionally rammed a jet-powered interceptor with their lumbering propellor aircraft... And as for sending Seal Team 6 to "recuse", I think you're confusing reality with the plot of the 2001 film Spy Game.

Furthermore, China taking part in the Korean War was not 'self defense'.