Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar

GamersGate reveals FreeGames: watch ads, play games for free

Shameless copypasta:

GamersGate, the premier digital distribution service for games, today announced the upcoming launch of FreeGames, a free-to-play ad supported platform for PC and Mac games. FreeGames allows users to play and enjoy both PC and Mac titles free of charge after watching a short advertisement at the launch of the game. Gamers will be able to have up to five games available for free on their account at any time with the capability to add additional games.
    With over 3,000 titles, GamersGate has the largest catalog of games available for download on the web. The company expects that a large portion of them will be available in the ad-supported model for the September launch.
    The new service offers the best of both worlds for both gamers and publishers, said Theodore Bergquist, CEO at GamersGate. Gamers can play games for free, catch up on franchises or try a game out before they buy. Publishers will receive ad revenue while expanding their audience. Weve always been at the forefront of the digital delivery business and Im confident that our new service will help reshape the industry.

84 days until launch! Sign up for the beta.
    http://www.gamersgate.com/freegames

Obscure Node
    Well that is certainly an interesting move, will be interesting to see how many people go for this. Will people put up with ads just to play for free?

Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    with the capability to add additional games
    I wonder how that'll work. Based on how many games you've bought, maybe?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Malawi Frontier Guard's Avatar
    There was a website I don't remember the name of back in the dotcom-era that had a business model like that. You clicked on ad banners and could download Creatures and GTA and Mahjong. Mostly Mahjong.

They didn't last very long.

I am not a teenager anymore, and I am not a serf. I do not watch advertisements to play games for free. Advertisement is a disease that consumes the mind.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Malawi Frontier Guard View Post
    I do not watch advertisements to play games for free.
    Why not? You watch advertisements on tv to watch ITV, Channel 4, and Channel 5 for free...

Honestly, some people are just silly. If I can put up with an advertisement before a game trailer or youtube video, I can put up with one before a game that will give me hours of entertainment for nothing.

I don't watch TV. :)

Edit: That sounds so arrogant. I make smiley to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Malawi Frontier Guard View Post
    There was a website I don't remember the name of back in the dotcom-era that had a business model like that. You clicked on ad banners and could download Creatures and GTA and Mahjong. Mostly Mahjong.

They didn't last very long.
    I seem to recall that was Freeloader, that's somehow still going. I remember they picked up GTA2, some version of Sensible Soccer and then went through several revamps.

I enjoyed the hell out of 2008's ad-supported Far Cry. I had to watch a McDonald's commercial before loading every level, I think. Or maybe just the main menu?

Also, advertising can be really great if they put effort into it!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wibble View Post
    I seem to recall that was Freeloader, that's somehow still going. I remember they picked up GTA2, some version of Sensible Soccer and then went through several revamps.
    Oh, I see. Maybe it was just the German version that went under.

you wont have to watch the adverts, its not like you need a camera on your monitor so they can make sure you do, they aren't apple you know.

I suppose it depends on what games are on the service and how they are implemented, it says there will be an advert when you launch the game and thats fine as far as I am concerned, certainly is a good way of saving money for me.

Lesser Hivemind Node icupnimpn2's Avatar
    I watch an ad for NVIDIA on my ATI card when I launch many games.

Quote Originally Posted by 8-bit View Post
    I suppose it depends on what games are on the service and how they are implemented, it says there will be an advert when you launch the game and thats fine as far as I am concerned, certainly is a good way of saving money for me.
    Indeed, if its done in a non-terrible, non-obtrusive way, then I can see this being used for those games that you wouldn't mind trying/playing but wouldn't go as far as putting money down on. As long as it doesn't break the flow or interrupt the game, the 'cost'
    of a few minutes of ads to play x number of minutes/hours doesn't sound too bad at all.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Ofc advertising done well is always unobtrusive - or even outright entertaining...

Problem is, 99% of it isn't done well at all - it's loud, obnoxious, blaring shite which drives you into turning-over/turning-off.

Take - for a random example - Gametrailers decision to [s]commit suicide[/s] put ads in front of EVERY video...

Then there's the news sites which put 30 sec ads in front of 15 sec videos - once, amusingly, trying to sell me a SAAB ahead of a clip about a nutter driving a SAAB along a pavement trying to kill people...

End of the day, advertisers know they're a blight on the face of humanity and they just stop trying and squeeze money in the most obvious and banal ways...

I stopped watching Gametrailers stuff and I don't even watch as many Youtube videos as before. It's simply not worth sitting through an ad that's 1/4 of the length of the actual video.

E3 2011 was terrible. As the feeds kept dropping, I was switching between Gamespot and IGN.
    Gamespot mindfucked me with some chocolate-I-never-heard-of ad. At least they had the decency to swap the 30 seconds ad with a 5 seconds version during the conferences. Would've been better if that chocolate was available on my continent though...
    Meanwhile IGN kept throwing Green Lantern and Battlefield trailers at me, and they also popped out during the live stream. That alone made me dislike the movie and the game.

About four years ago Gametap in the U.S. still had an ad-supported version of their service that let you download and play full PC games with ads at the loading screen. I used it to try out a couple of games that I otherwise would not have bought. Steam hadn't quite taken off by then and games were still a lot more expensive. Waiting an extra few seconds didn't bother me much, and I would have continued to used the service if my computer hadn't been dying.

Now Gametap still has a subscription play service but only retro games (like Neo Geo, arcade, and some old adventure games) are available at no charge.

I'm excited for GamersGate's service. Their catalog certainly dives into the foreign and obscure. There are tons of titles that look interesting but have so few reviews that I'm afraid to plunk down $10. I'd love the chance to play these since there's often no demos available.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Oak View Post
    I wonder how that'll work. Based on how many games you've bought, maybe?
    more likely based on how many extra slots you have bought.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by 8-bit View Post
    you wont have to watch the adverts, its not like you need a camera on your monitor so they can make sure you do, they aren't apple you know.

Same for me, though it's less the big releases I'm interested in. I'd love this for if I say, fancied a go on a quick hidden object game that looked interesting. I usually finish them in two sittings, and find them quite relaxing, but don't really like paying for them unless they're very cheap, as I'll never go back and they're pretty simple. I'd play them on something like this though.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    I might use it to demo things, I suppose. I can't really imagine playing anything on a system like this long-term. If I like it enough to invest a few hours in it then I like it enough to invest a few dollars in it.

Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    I might use it to demo things, I suppose. I can't really imagine playing anything on a system like this long-term. If I like it enough to invest a few hours in it then I like it enough to invest a few dollars in it.
    And thus you fall into their trap.

Service is live. Per the terms I am allowed to say, "I am in the GamersGate FreeGames Beta."