Obscure Node

Grim Fandango - widescreen edition?

Just found this on Twitter - the fantastically named 'ultraneonoirantihero' has done up a few scenes from Grim Fandango, with added widescreen bits on either side. Check it out in action here: http://grimfandangodeluxe.blogspot.c...idescreen.html

Clearly, this is just a mockup at the moment, done entirely in photoshop, but I have to say his work looks fantastic, and for the most part seems to fit in perfectly. Could this be done for the entire game? Doubtful, as it'd be a lot of work, and he'd have to do it for free, as Lucasarts would no doubt frown upon charging for such a thing.

Maybe they'll take the hint, and give us a full HD remake?

Ah, it's nice to dream.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    O
    M
    G

/dreams

Ah, I had forgotten the name of this project. Cheers to you!
    Game Library Completion: 174/223 - 78.03%

Grim Fandango was such a beautiful game (in more ways than one), this mod looks like it's doing a great job.

Network Hub
    I still wonder what happened at LucasArts... they made a big deal about re-releasing some of their back catalog on Steam years ago, and all we got out of it was Loom, Indiana Jones, The Dig and some Star Wars games. I kept waiting for the next wave of games, hoping it was Grim Fandango, and it never came.

Looking at it on Steam, that was back in 2009, so what is the holdup here? They are obviously aware their back catalog has fans and that adventure gaming has seen a bit of an uptick. Just work out a deal with GOG and get some quick, easy money already.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Roufuss View Post
    I still wonder what happened at LucasArts...
    The Star Wars license.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I imagine the other games were a lot harder to get working on modern systems.

Then again, after the two Monkey Island remakes I'm surprised they didn't do Grim Fandango.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Day of the Tentacle please. It's their best adventure game.

Lesser Hivemind Node Juan Carlo's Avatar
    I wonder when video game companies will finally realize that they are sitting on a gold mine of back catalogue games if only they can find ways to re-release them (i.e. GOG, steam, etc). Movie studios continue to profit from their older films, but the video game industry too often seems to be under the impression that games are not worth doing anything with if they are more than 5 years old. With GOG this seems to be changing a bit, but I still don't think most have realized how much money they could make from re-releasing older games.

Especially now when the indie scene has made "retro" graphics a bit of a craze, proving that you no longer have to have modern graphics to sell well.
    Last edited by Juan Carlo; 13-01-2012 at 09:52 PM.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Juan Carlo View Post
    I wonder when video game companies will finally realize that they are sitting on a gold mine of back catalogue games if only they can find ways to re-release them (i.e. GOG, steam, etc).
    Most of them have though, albeit at a slow trickle (which is more the fault of GOG's release schedule more than anything). Lucasarts is pretty much the only holdout at this point, along with Blizzard (I'd love to play Warcraft 2 again).

I have no idea where I remember reading it, and I can't find the source for the life of me, but I had read somewhere that its incredibly difficult to get older games certified on Steam these days. Wherever I read it from didn't give a reason, it was just an anonymous guy who worked for a publisher that claimed Valve doesn't approve a lot of older games these days. Maybe they don't want to be responsible for the complaints when / if they don't work? I have no idea, but outside of the old Worms releases a few weeks ago its been a long time since Steam saw a classic release.

And it can't just be because GOG is locking up exclusive contracts... I mean, I was kind of surprised when Impulse and GG started selling the Infinity Engine games but Steam didn't, considering those games are easy money.

At this point, a lot of these older games are mired in licensing issues (System Shock) and have difficulty running on newer systems, and it seems GOG is the only one who is taking the time to work through all this, but they have limited funds.

I imagine that if Lucasarts wanted to come aboard, GOG would drop everything to secure a deal so I'm pretty sure you're right, ultimately the fault lies with the publishers.
    Last edited by Roufuss; 13-01-2012 at 10:44 PM.