Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Games for Moms?

Activated Node
    The moms I know are most comfortable with video game versions of tabletop games they are familiar with - card games, mahjonng, etc. Also, Farmville.

Lesser Hivemind Node Juan Carlo's Avatar
    As someone who likes to make terrible, hackneyed, your mom jokes whenever someone mentions their mom on the internet--this thread is an embarrassment of riches.

I have no idea where to start.

<Juan Carlo's brain explodes>

The Drawn games would probably be worth looking at too. Pretty relaxing hidden object games.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    Tetris on the GameBoy; the only game my Mom has ever played.

Games my mum plays:

Sims 3
    Sim City 4
    World of Goo
    Crayon Physics

aaand, GTA: Vice City.
    Last edited by Jams O'Donnell; 10-01-2012 at 09:15 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    My wife generally despises video games, though I think that's because I once tried to get her into a CRPG. In retrospect it was probably a good thing as we would have no doubt separated by now if she became a fan of BioWare or Bethesda.

I got my wife (who is a mother) to play Portal/Portal 2 and enjoy both. Just recently, we've been playing Killing Floor together. The family that slays together stays together!

Quote Originally Posted by Wizardry View Post
    My wife generally despises video games, though I think that's because I once tried to get her into a CRPG. In retrospect it was probably a good thing as we would have no doubt separated by now if she became a fan of BioWare or Bethesda.
    Ha! Oh Wizardy, never change.
    Game Library Completion: 212/246 - 86.18%

Dr Mario. Traveling by flight, when I was younger, my mother hated the takeoffs and landings, but if you handed her a Gameboy with Dr Mario she didn't even notice.

Moms like bubbleshooter -> http://www.bubblesshooter.be/

My mom plays bubbleshooter ALL the time. This site even has advertisements targeted on women.

Another game women like is Tetris! that's because it's in their genes to clean up. In tetris you clean up blocks.

While there are women who play all types of games, it strikes me that women like to play games that is about "clearing" stuff. In solitaire you get rid of cards, in bubbleshooter you clear bubbles, in tetris it's blocks.

A lot of popcap games use this principle too. You get a lot of stuff -> you need to get rid of it -> win

Obscure Node
    Machinarium. While I didn't play it (bought it on Steam but didn't play it yet), I'm a point-and-click adventure fan, and it seems like an amazing game.

I only played the demo for Q.U.B.E, but it seems like a great game for her.

Network Hub Peter Radiator Full Pig's Avatar
    SpaceChem ;) To be serious, popcap is a brilliant place to start, go with bejewled into pvz and then possible transition into other tower defence games, possible branching out into rts games. Set the games to easy. Not enough people do this for new players. You and I are used to what we have to do, and probably used to playing most games on at least normal, but remember those easy modes. Also, possible, all those famous flash games like crush the castle cut the rope etc.

Network Hub
    When I saw the Steam midweek madness I thought of this thread.

Bejeweled 3 is 75% off for a few days and would make a good game for any Mom.

Back in the day, my Mom was a huge fan of the Diablo series and any point and click action RPG, but never quite got the hang of knowing which armor / weapon was best. Every trip back to town she'd ask me to sell and buy her gear and off she'd go again.
    Last edited by Roufuss; 10-01-2012 at 07:17 PM.

Lesser Hivemind Node squareking's Avatar
    I bought my mother-in-law Serious Sam HD, though we had to have a discussion on WASD/mouselook vs the arrow keys.

Can't go wrong with Popcap's oeuvre or Machinarium. The recently featured Fractal looks like a good starting point too.
    steam

Faerie Solitaire: A pseudo-solitaire with magic and collectable pets. And Faerie.

Network Hub
    My mum played the heck out of Theme Hospital and has several families in Sims 2. Over Christmas she had me bring round my old N64 so she could play Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask.

In general, I've found women eschew the raw competitive aspect of games in favour of exploration and discovery. Something with a narrative greater than "kill the baddies" or failing that, one robust enough to coherently create your own.

Quote Originally Posted by Rauten View Post
    Tetris on the GameBoy; the only game my Mom has ever played.
    My mom loved Tetris on the old Spectrum when I was a kid. We used to play that for hours.

She also loved Oh Mummy! that came free with the computer but that was utter shit.
    Last edited by PeteC; 12-01-2012 at 05:34 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    @Wiz WhatIdon'teven?
    I have to admit I'm living your worst nightmare. After finding the introduction to fallout 3 kind of alienating and shelving it, both me and my fiancée could see it was worthy, but just couldn't bring ourselves to care about events.
    Well, I "trusted" obsidian enough to know that they know how to create a hook, it seems paternal abandonment is less exciting to me than revenge.
    What we're you thinking bethsoft some of us have had fathers bugger off, the answer to chase them, does not a game make. It was my fiancée who got hooked in this case, she founds the classic bethsoft 'taking off the collar' when you leave the docs house utterly paralysing. Even now she has about 45 unfinished quests, on her way to do one thing she finds more.
    The fact the hills are not fenced off ala dragon age 2 (not my fault she played that :p) opened her eyes, I wonder if she could go back?
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Spacewalk View Post
    Match-3, Mahjongg solitaire and hidden object games are a safe bet and are a dime a dozen. Once she's comfortable with those you can get her into the more complex stuff like Plants vs. Zombies.
    What he said.

Quote Originally Posted by Skalpadda View Post
    Adventure games might be another idea, being narrative driven and not relying on precise motor skills. The Telltale Monkey Island games are pretty good and not too hard for a beginner. Machinarium is also excellent but might be a bit difficult for someone who isn't used to adventure game logic.
    I agree with you, if it's a point and click adventure with still images. I tried to make mother play realMyst and she ended up trapped in a corner behind a ladder, not even knowing how to turn around, because realMyst has free first person movement unlike the old Myst games. She didn't even get to the point when she had to face her first puzzle :-/
    "So dark le con of man"

Whoa, 2monthbump! I must provide an update that I haven't yet gone the video game route, but we have been playing many board games, particularly Citadels. And a little NES Super Mario. And, she wants to play Medal of Honor: Allied Assault again, it was the only PC non-card-based game she ever really played, so I'll have to bust that out.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sinister agent's Avatar
    "Hey mum, here's a game you might like, look."

"What's that? (Reading) 'The Binding of Isaac'. What a strange name!"