Obscure Node

Graphics Problem

Hi everyone,

I have a problem with the graphics card in my MSI laptop that only happens during games. What happens is whatever game I'm playing will freeze then the screen will go a random colour then go black and If I'm lucky will dump me back in to the game again. If I'm not so luck I will need to alt-tab and kill the task. The event log gives me this error.

"Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered."

Now I've been trying to get to the bottom of this for months to no avail. I don't think it's hardware as some games work fine. Temperatures are normal and I don't get any artifacts or screen tears. Deus Ex HR and BF3 did up until the latest patch though it does take a while for it to happen. Other games like TF2 and CSS will crash after less than 5 mins of gameplay. The internet reveals this to be a wide spread problem affecting both AMD/ATI cards and Nvidia cards equally but no definite fix. I've probably answered my own question but this is really starting to annoy me.

Any help much appreciated.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Sounds like a driver issue if you're getting that message; the display driver keeps crashing and Windows manages to recover it. That said I have had a similar error related to other issues, namely a failing HDD (not sure why). If you're got the latest driver, maybe try rolling back to a previous one and see if the issue persists. Failing that, check other components to see if they're acting up during crash events.

It's most likely a driver issue. Your best bet is to completely remove the current driver and install the latest and greatest available. Related question: what version of Windows are we talking about here?

Lesser Hivemind Node DigitalSignalX's Avatar
    A very remote possibility: check what power settings are enabled - sometimes weird proprietary software starts kicking in on various brand laptops after so much heat / time / battery etc that might be screwing things.
    All times I have enjoyed greatly, have suffered greatly, both with those that loved me, and alone.

Obscure Node
    Thanks for the suggestions. I have the latest driver which was installed to a clean copy of Windows 7 X64 Pro.