Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Amusement Park vs. Playground RPGs

Hello RPS citizenry, I am currently looking for a very story driven RPG thats under 10 bucks and under 7 gigs and is either a First Person RPG or Third person(over the shoulder) RPG.

Currently all I own are Playground RPGs(Fallout, Fallout 3, ES: Oblivion...)

What I'm looking for is an Amusement Park RPG like the Witcher or Fable.

My desktop is not connected to internet and my only availble storage is an 8 gig usb drive.

I know you'll make me proud and thanks for the help!

p.s. Don't mention Skyrim because I have not enough monies... :(

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    Let it be known, this is not the place to discuss the definition of 'RPG.'

I like Mass Effect 2 quite a bit, but it's a bit linear. Still, despite its problems, I think it's a great game. I also recommend Fallout: New Vegas if you're hankering for a bit more freedom. I'm sure neither is too pricy anymore. I can't speak to disk space, but I'm fairly sure New Vegas is small-ish.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines it is then. We can't go a day without mentioning it here.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Actually a tricky request!

Let's see... Many games ruled out from size alone (Mass Effect 2, for example, is 15GB. Even the hoary Witcher is 8GB) and RPGs tend to stay expensive longer than other genres...

Also, not connected to the internet? That's tough, in today's DD and DRM world. I don't think any digital distributor but Good old Games will work, since only those are DRM free.

I'd say your best bet is an old RPG off Good old Games that you download on one computer, then transfer the installer to the gaming desktop.

Lots of great classics on sale right now, including Fallout 2 ($3) and Baldur's Gate 2 ($5) from Good old Games, although these are isometric, not 3rd/1st person.

Some Amazon finds:
    NOTE that these may have some kind of online DRM check, make sure they do not before purchasing!

Titan Quest Gold for $5 (action RPG, not quite Fable/Witcher like)

Knights of the Old Republic is $13 (Very good Bioware Star Wars RPG)

Fable: The Lost Chapters is $13
    Last edited by Giaddon; 15-12-2011 at 05:54 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    Kotor is my most emphatic recommendation =)

Or Betrayal at Krondor, for old skool -- http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/betrayal_at_krondor
    (Antara is...not nearly so good, but is included in that pack)
    Support for my all-pepperjack-cheese food bank charity drive has been lukewarm at best.

Knights of the Old Republic definitely, if there's a non-Steam version easily available somewhere.
    Give me steam and how you feel to make it real.

Network Hub
    Hmmm. Bloodlines is a pretty good choice. If you've already played it Knights of the Old Republic, maybe?

Edit: Arg. Ninja'd twice over. Getting slow in my old age.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    Everything Infinity Enigne. Specially Baldurs Gate 2

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Dragon Age if it's not too big.

Network Hub
    The all-bells-and-whistles version of Dragon Age Origins clocks in at 20 Gb plus, but the sequel is only 5 or so. I'd recommend the Infinity engine games on GoG, though, as well as the original NWN with it's expansions.

Activated Node
    Adding to the isometric genre, don't forget Arcanum! It's not really well balanced on combat, but it sure is an interesting setting, and the world is quite "open" as well.

Obscure Node
    Hve you tired Overlord?. It is a Fable style game that came out in 2007.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    More approval for Bloodlines and KotOR from me.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    God damn it!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Wizardry View Post
    God damn it!
    Not tried that one, any good?

Jade Empire may be worth checking out. It's about the closest to Fable in terms of combat feel than any of the other games listed above and about as linear.

Activated Node
    Dragon Age: Origins is ~20 gig (goatse edition - vanilla's not so insane, but not enough smaller to be helpful).

Bloodlines is good times. Mask of the Betrayer is grand, but I've no idea if that's small enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
    Everything Infinity Enigne. Specially Baldurs Gate 2
    What this wise bear said. And Diablo. WHAT?
    steam

http://dailycelluloid.blogspot.com/- where I write about movies.

As far as DRM goes I guess I've managed to be able to swap game files from my "borrowed" laptop for Steam and replace the ones on my desktop. As long as I log in on steam on my laptop and put it in offline mode before I copy files it works.

With games I currently own Fallout, Fallout 3, Oblivion, and Baldur's Gate 2 but I've truly been pining for something more actiony. My mind is always filled with Bloodlines but until I find it cheaper than 20 bucks I won't be able to pour my time into it. Also is Vampire the Masquerade: Redemption worth having a go at?

There are actually very few games out there that have both rpg-inspired plotting and development, and action like what you get in fable or the witcher.

That said, you need to play Dark Messiah of Might and Magic and this video will show you why: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XS49Dazin3E