Hybrid View

PC Gaming Centre (MEDIUM/LIGHT) - As Cheap As Can Be

I've been building my own rigs for editing/gaming recently, the most recent one cost about 650€ for a PC with 2x22" monitors (192x1080, of course)

But what about a "mediacenter gone ROGUE" ? Not too expensive, I assume one only needs a dualcore to be able to play games/movies well, as long as the graphicscard can hold up it's end of the bargain? must have HDMI, obviously.

But then again, lets not forget: fit it all into a shuttle-type case. ie. small, narrow, etc. Obviously a challenge for the current graphic-cards, due to most of them needing two slots. Suggestions, input, etc?

(ideally, pricewise, would be inside of 400€, as I do not need a TV or another monitor)

EDIT: ack, nevermind. I cant find a single dual core for sale anymore.

EDIT2: What the motherfuck. Eight cores for the same price as I bought the quad core cpu for two months ago?! Whats up with this AMD FX thing?
    Last edited by QuantaCat; 20-12-2011 at 06:35 PM.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications & The Shopkeeper, an interactive short.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Network Hub
    There are a few 'shuttle' style cases that will fit a dual-slot GPU, I'd suggest looking at the Silverstone Mini-ITX cases in particular, there's also some Lian-Li ones that would probably fit the bill, although they tend to be a bit more expensive.

As for CPU, an i3 would be a decent option. You can safely ignore the new AMD FX chips, they perform worse than any i5 and even some Phenoms in normal use.

Silverstone PT05B ?

Also, I would take the Athlon II X4 631 (4x 2,70 GHz), the asrock A75M-ITX & a Sapphire Radeon HD 6870. Any objections? (Also, will it fit in the case; do I need a 2.5 HDD or will a 3.5 fit as well? Reason: I have a 3.5, buying a 2.5 at the current HDD prices would be horrible)
    Last edited by QuantaCat; 04-01-2012 at 11:37 AM.
    - Tom De Roeck.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

OK. So far: 544€ if I buy everything on amazon, which I normally never do because you save bits and bobs by buying at different retailers, but this way, it gets delivered to me for free, which is another cost I do not have to have as well. So yes.

Full list so far, though Im still not sure of that case, as it seems to have an included power supply which is horribly inadequate:

Silverstone PT05b Case
    Athlon II X4 631 4x2.7GHz
    ASRock A75M-ITX
    Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 1Gb DDR3
    3.5 2TB HDD of a make I forgot
    G.Skill DIMM Kit 8GB PC3-10667U

EDIT: I forgot that Im also getting a cheap monitor, a BenQ GL941M, 19", with the obvious goal of having, one day, enough space and money to hook it to a gigantic one.

Price without monitor: 460€
    Last edited by QuantaCat; 04-01-2012 at 12:52 PM.
    - Tom De Roeck.

Network Hub
    Not sure about that particular case as it doesn't seem to exist on any English language sites, but it looks much the same as the SG06, which seems like a pretty nicely designed case. Be warned, it doesn't fit an ATX PSU, it's SFX for factor. You can find them rated up to 450w, which would be enough for that build, I've also seen the similar SG05 case bundled with a 450w PSU for about 100 over here so it might be worth shopping around.

It does sound good, yes. I think Ill go for the SG05, which brings me to:

475€ without a monitor. Also, should I bother getting an extra fan for the CPU? ie. not the stock one?
    - Tom De Roeck.

Not worth the cash unless you find yourself having problems (quite unlikely if you've attached it properly and your environment is of reasonable temperature) or are overclocking it.

BenQ GL2250
    Silverstone SG05BB-450
    Athlon II X4 631 4x2.7GHz
    ASRock A75M-ITX
    Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 1Gb DDR3
    3.5 2TB HDD of a make I forgot
    G.Skill DIMM Kit 8GB PC3-10667U

Price: 588€
    - Tom De Roeck.

the apartment I live in has the most average warm temperature at all times.

Thanks to all contributions! Ill post the final list as soon as I order all the components.
    - Tom De Roeck.

Someone asked about a new PC below 800 pounds. This should do nicely, if he/she has some building skills. (not that you need many)
    - Tom De Roeck.