Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

SW:TOR Launch - Worst in Recent History?

With the whole "you're in early access, you're not in early access" fiasco, the issues with maintenance during European and now the fact the site is basically down because you're not able to play without subscription, I have to wonder, is this the worst MMO launch in recent history?

Most MMOs that've came out lately haven't had half these issues, and they're usually ran by much smaller teams than EA/BioWare. I mean, look at RIFT. Other than horrendous queues, RIFT's launch was pretty epic.

What do you guys think?

Only if EA/Bioware are dead in 2 months time, otherwise I'm calling APB as the worst in recent history.

I haven't seen much of a fiasco with SWTOR, the queueing thing, perhaps... but I think that's expected at launch, and with the size of it and what they seem to be aiming for. Other MMOs may have been launched by smaller teams, but I think they'd also have been dealing with smaller player numbers. The site being down and maintenance thing is necessary... they have to do maintenance and, as someone pointed out in the article comments about this, they're perhaps aiming for a cycling downtime (so it's morning Europe one time, then morning US the next and so on) to try and spread the inconvenience around.

It's not a game for me, but from what I've heard people are thoroughly, thoroughly enjoying it... consensus I've heard from people is that the quality of the game makes up for any inconvenience/queueing etc, and then some.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    I just have an opinion different to your own. Circle jerking is good for no one, be glad somebody isn't afraid to disagree with women on the internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    No, you are literally the cancer that is killing gaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Nobody's ever lost sleep over being called a cracker.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    [Insert name of most recent MMO release that has had hiccups like pretty much every MMO release ever] launch - Worst in Recent History?
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jockie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    [Insert name of most recent MMO release that has had hiccups like pretty much every MMO release ever] launch - Worst in Recent History?
    Quite, even if there were such a thing as a 'smooth' MMO launch, you wouldn't hear about it due to it being a smaller game. If you plan to buy and play any MMO at launch, the generally accepted wisdom is that shit will break and you'll have to queue. For some people that's unnacceptable and that's completely fine, but no-one is forcing you to buy the game the moment it becomes available (I guess unless you are a journalist, being paid to provide coverage).
    I write about them video games at these locations

And on Twitter

Activated Node
    To be honest this has been the best launch of any MMO I've played (admittedly that's a small group) though I suspect that part of that might be the fact that I and my friends have rolled on a PVP server with a much lighter load than a PVE one; as that has meant that I've only had to wait in line a few times and never for more than five minutes.

As for their site going down, the fact that they haven't enough server capacity, and the fact that they schedule awkward maintenance times: these things happen. Of all of them the last one is the more irritating because it's something they deliberately chose to do, but to be fair pre-midday isn't a peak time in Europe. As for the rest, it's an MMO launch, as others have said stuff breaks and goes wrong. Frankly if the launch had gone perfectly I'd be worried that it might be a portent of the coming apocalypse.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Careful there BwenGun you're showing a sense of perspective on matters.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

He who controls the Doge controls the universe

Obscure Node
    Well, it certainly isn't smooth. The game it self might be, but the launch isn't. I have pre-ordered, I have an account set and "running", but because I didn't notice the credit card set up in the process I now can't access the game, and the site itself. And while once in a while I get access, probably because they let me in, I then can't access the credit card set up page easily, and when I'm finaly able to, my cc information can't be send because I get a page not found error. All in all, very bad launch.

And on top of that, I can't access the forum, or rather I can't post in the forum because I don't have an account set up or whatever, which I do, to post my problems.
    Last edited by remon; 22-12-2011 at 02:16 PM.

Well, the original poster has at least some ground to stand on from a technical point of view. Case in point: I am considering buying this game today, and had previously created an account and downloaded the client. In theory I should be able to pay for the game and at LEAST get into queue on the server. But I cant.

Why? Because I have been in queue to change my account settings for 30 minutes.

How does one start a new game of any kind without the hardware to handle the account maintenance tasks without queuing?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    MMOs I've played with (relatively) rocky launches: WoW, TR, AoC, EVE, MO
    MMOs I've played with (relatively) smooth launches: WAR, APB, Rift, DDO
    MMOs I'm still playing:

Honestly, I applaud them for the savvy of not just piling on extra servers to deal with launch-day blues. That's what killed WAR for me.
    Last edited by Nalano; 22-12-2011 at 08:13 PM.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus thegooseking's Avatar
    It's the tragedy of the MMO that they're at their best when no-one wants to play them any more (with a couple of exceptions, one of which is really big, and the other of which is really different).
    "Moronic cynicism is a kind of naïveté. It's naïveté turned inside-out. Naïveté wearing a sneer." -Momus

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thegooseking View Post
    It's the tragedy of the MMO that they're at their best when no-one wants to play them any more (with a couple of exceptions, one of which is really big, and the other of which is really different).
    If we're gonna start listing examples of the schizophrenic nature of the MMO, we're gonna be here all day.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Just watched the quick look on Giantbomb, and albeit not my cup of tea I have to say it looks a lot better than I expected tbh: -

http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-...ublic/17-5448/

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Not even close to worst launch ever, not even the worst launch this year.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I have no intention of getting this for a long time, if ever, but the quick look is stirring something. I do likes crafting and loot, I do.

Quote Originally Posted by arathain View Post
    I have no intention of getting this for a long time, if ever, but the quick look is stirring something. I do likes crafting and loot, I do.
    The lead writer interview is pretty interesting as well, as he gets into the whole rationale behind the approach (be aware it's half an hour though): -

http://www.giantbomb.com/old-republi...rview/17-5441/

That he says (paraphrases) 'just play the decisions as you want and don't worry about the light side/dark side points' (no need to min max) was kind of interesting, as is the conflict between Imperial objectives, Vs Sith actions.

As a side note, love the bombcast but damn Jeff and Ryan both need to loses a few pounds (esp Ryan)....

Probable Replicant

Activated Node
    That's how I've been playing my Imperial Agent and it's been really cool. It depicts Imperial Intelligence as people dedicated to the safety of the Empire, and the Sith are the cackling loons in charge who completely cock up your schemes with pointless evil and no sense of subtlety whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by Pseudo310 View Post
    That's how I've been playing my Imperial Agent and it's been really cool. It depicts Imperial Intelligence as people dedicated to the safety of the Empire, and the Sith are the cackling loons in charge who completely cock up your schemes with pointless evil and no sense of subtlety whatsoever.
    Why do I imagine the Empire as the Republican Party and the Sith as the Teapartiers suddenly? ;)

Probable Replicant

Activated Node
    You are not wrong. The Imperial Agent plot has just turned me into an Imperial Jack Bauer, hunting down terrorist Jedi.

Apart from the issues with the queues for the head-start and the first couple of days, it's all been smooth sailing for me. The worst bug I've come across is the health-bars of the companions of people I'm grouped with not updating properly on occasion, but I haven't seen that one for a couple of days.

Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    'just play the decisions as you want and don't worry about the light side/dark side points' (no need to min max)
    I'd love to find out for sure if this is actually a decent way to go through the game. I'd heard from people who spent a long time in the beta that "Going Grey" wasn't a very good idea, rewards wise. On the flipside, because of the almost arbitrary way that the developers seem to decided which decisions were Dark and which were Light, I'm finding maxing my Dark Side to be a very unsatisfying thing, story-wise.

Activated Node
    I've been making the choices based on the feel I have for my character, and have somehow ended up solidly neutral. I hear that there are some neutral-only items, but Bioware has admitted that it's not as many as the Light/Dark items but there are plans to remedy it.