Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus

Do people care less about this generation's console launch than previous ones?

Leigh Alexander wrote a great article over on gamasutra.

It seems to me like AAA has really had the wind taken out of its sails, and consoles are just becoming less relevant. She wrote something similar to what I felt:

It's unpopular to say you don't care about consoles, to suggest you don't need to care. It feels like disloyalty to the industry. But what's becoming clear, even if it feels controversial and treacherous to say -- even if it threatens the industry and its loyal consumers, galvanizes them to internet arguments -- is that the console business and the industry models that built it are no longer the main avenue for the medium of games. They're probably not even the most important, even though they remain the most visible to your average person.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    No just the new console. The race of realism is so advanced now, that we are on diminishing returns. Is harder now to feel the "Whoa" of new heights of fidelity on reproducing the real world.

Supposedly this is a good thing, as soon game devs will be forced to go for Style and Design to make his games different than other games.

I think on the PC the sentiment is "I don't want to buy another fucking GPU" or "the next GPU will be the last, or last a million years".

The race for realism has ben already too long and people is tired of progressivelly more real versions of basically the same game.
    Abandoned PC gaming for good. Now rest in a better place. psn:Teikman

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I think its more of an "I" than "people" really.

If people did not care about AAA games, they would not sell 5+ million.

Maybe people more invested in gaming (journalists, developers, indies, gamers who play games from AAA to indie to pixel browser games) are less disinterested because like the past couple console launches they were rather underwhelming.

PS3 had some cool games at release but nothing huge. PS2 had a least a more well rounded set of titles than future generations and was a bigger leap in graphics from the previous generation. Xbox 360 had poor launch titles. Xbox had Halo, which still took awhile to become as big as it did (PS2 was very popular).

People get so hyped for 1-2 years and are underwhelmed. PC is ever evolving so there is rarely some super hype train on some new tech or release. It is all gradual. Future we see things like GSync, Oculus and what not. It helps also the PC is more friendly to innovative low graphic games, which when they are hyped it is because of the style and design, not the 5-7 year cycle in hardware power.

I would be excited as a console developer since hopefully this will help perk up console software sales for the next 2 years. I would be excited to see better graphics if I did not have a $1000+ PC and only had a 360 for 5 years.

Wii was the last exciting launch. Now there is nothing to get to exciting about until a year after release when the price cut comes and more games are out.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Looking at the numbers banding around, no people do not care less. The PS4, despite all the apathy towards it's launch line up, despite the "fact" mobile gaming is killing console and PC and despite the fact that "lol it's not as powerful as a pc" it went and sold a combined 1,000,000 units in the US and Canada on day one. There's still Europe and Asia to go. It's been Sony's best launch so far.

I expect the xbox to shift bigger numbers initially since it's launch day is global.

There's also no confusion about these consoles compare to say the Wii and WiiU and people seem confident that there will be good support from first and third party titles.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Snes/etc. -> PSX/N64/Sega Saturn = third dimension added, CDs, enchanced audio, pre-rendered videos, memory cards.

PSX/N64/Sega Saturn -> PS2/GameCube/Dreamcast/XBox = enchanced 3D graphics, much more power, DVDs, online play

PS2/GameCube/Dreamcast/XBox-> PS3/X360/Wii = noticeable better graphics, blu-ray, hard drives, online stores, Kinect/Wiilot/etc.

PS3/X360 -> PS4/X1/WiiU = uhm, more RAM, TV, tablet controler (WiiU), video recording?

So yes, I think people care less, because every other generations was revolutionary, PS4/X1/WiiU are only evolutions.
    Last edited by GameCat; 21-11-2013 at 07:12 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I fully admit that the numbers torpedo the idea that everyone or even most people are uninterested. However, I wonder how the concept of manufactured shortages and supply chain improvements impacted total sales. That is something that just isn't available from current numbers.

Growth of the market is available in rough VG chartz form. Medal of Honor Frontline has sold 6.82m copies (vgchartz). Cod Blops II sold 12.36m copies, about 181%. Obviously that's just one example, but I don't think the first day sales are really that far out of line with the growth in the market.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    But the interesting games aren't coming from the mainstream. Everybody knows that.

This fool never fails to entertain.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Please, let's separate the graphics argument from the gameplay argument. More graphical prowess isn't a bad thing; it means more realism, a better connection with characters (compare the emotion you could convey through visuals across generations), more flexibility for developers, etc.

That however doesn't excuse developers reusing the same old gameplay and not even iterating on it, let alone changing it in any significant way. We should be calling them out on that, though, not on graphics and hardware muscle. More hardware is a good thing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GameCat View Post
    Snes/etc. -> PSX/N64/Sega Saturn = third dimension added, CDs, enchanced audio, pre-rendered videos, memory cards.

PSX/N64/Sega Saturn -> PS2/GameCube/Dreamcast/XBox = enchanced 3D graphics, much more power, DVDs, online play

PS2/GameCube/Dreamcast/XBox-> PS3/X360/Wii = noticeable better graphics, blu-ray, hard drives, online stores, Kinect/Wiilot/etc.

PS3/X360 -> PS4/X1/WiiU = uhm, more RAM, TV, tablet controler (WiiU), video recording?

So yes, I think people care less, because every other generations was revolutionary, PS4/X1/WiiU are only evolutions.
    The PS4 and X1 both fit into the same category of having enhanced graphics and much more power, which is pretty much half of what you mentioned in every other generation. The Kinect and move where also not features launched with the last gen, but came along through it's cycle.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    But the interesting games aren't coming from the mainstream. Everybody knows that.

This fool never fails to entertain.
    She is correct though. The last AAA game that I bought was Rome 2 and before that I can't even remember.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    I can't speak for "people" but I know I care less. I never got around to picking up a last generation machine, but I went back and forth about it quite a bit. This generation? I haven't given it a second thought. I've got a mountain of games I'll never get through as it is, and there's really nothing attractive about either of these new machines.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Skalpadda's Avatar
    I certainly care less about this generation than any previous one, but that has more to do with my tastes drifting pretty far from the games released on consoles rather than the machines themselves.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    The PS4 and X1 both fit into the same category of having enhanced graphics and much more power, which is pretty much half of what you mentioned in every other generation.
    No, because you can clearly see difference between PSX and PS2, or PS2 and PS3 graphics and now games like Battlefield 3 and 4 aren't THAT huge step forward.
    The Kinect and move where also not features launched with the last gen, but came along through it's cycle.
    Nope, it came along with Nintendo Wii launch.

BTW, you can also see stagnation in portable consoles.
    Nintendo going from GameBoy Advance to DS was huge revolution, while 3DS is just little tuned up DS plus 3D screen.
    PSP was first really powerfull, 3D capable portable console and PS Vita have just better specs plus second analogue stick, cross-buy and streaming from PS4. These are hardly game-changers* (every previous generations including PS3/X360/Wii WERE game-changers*).

*Puns intended.
    Last edited by GameCat; 21-11-2013 at 08:07 PM.

Lesser Hivemind Node karaquazian's Avatar
    personally i dont give a monkeys about playstation or xbox, theres nothing on them i want to play thats not on pc.

now I did have a gamecube and I got use out of that, If nintendo stopped making "family entertainment party game devices" and got back to making a proper game console, i might have that, along side a PC of course. Biggest joke ever was the Wii not being able to run SF4 when you consider how big the capcom games were on nintendo.

Ryse shits all over everything else, and it does that while being upscaled from 1600 x 900.
    I mean holy fucking shit, look at these dudes! Compare them to Psycho's mug in the 360 version of Crysis 3. Ryse doesn't even swap models - what you see in the cutscene screenshot is what you get during gameplay.
    This is the start of the generation - and the weaker console. Crysis 3 is the absolute graphical ceiling the last gen could reach.

I suspect this generation will be defined by the small details. Realistic smoke and water, fully physical clothing (Ryse goes crazy with this), objects that naturally react to character interactions, realistic subsurface scattering and wet surfaces which will sell the illusion of human skin better and so on.
    This is a simple ambient occlusion comparison. It's a subtle effect, but look how much it changes the scene!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    To bad Ryse has like 4 character models that you fight.

The cost to produce that much fidelity is really not worth the cost of having a shit game. I can't wait until next year where we start to see a lot more of the KS and Unity games that have been worked on the past 1-2 years.

Unless there are some great tools for artists to get more content in game at that scale efficiently, its really not worth it. I know Sony's big emphasis was to produce a lot better developer tools for the PS4 due to how horrible PS3 was and all the complaints from developers.

Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    Ryse shits all over everything else, and it does that while being upscaled from 1600 x 900.
    I mean holy fucking shit, look at these dudes! Compare them to Psycho's mug in the 360 version of Crysis 3. Ryse doesn't even swap models - what you see in the cutscene screenshot is what you get during gameplay.
    This is the start of the generation - and the weaker console. Crysis 3 is the absolute graphical ceiling the last gen could reach.

I suspect this generation will be defined by the small details. Realistic smoke and water, fully physical clothing (Ryse goes crazy with this), objects that naturally react to character interactions, realistic subsurface scattering and wet surfaces which will sell the illusion of human skin better and so on.
    This is a simple ambient occlusion comparison. It's a subtle effect, but look how much it changes the scene!
    Well, the Xbox One can't even hold the 30 frames Ryse is locked on and maybe it's even maxing out the hardware of the console, so what do you think will come? Subsurface scattering, more particles etc. when the console isn't even capable of handling a game like "Ryse" in Full-HD and 60 frames? No.

What will happen is this: Most games releasing next fall will run at 720p and 30 frames on the consoles and then developers will struggle again to do what they want to do because of the weak hardware in these things. Luckily the consoles are built on PC architecture, which means that developers might develope for the PC first and just downscale the game for the consoles, which hopefully results in the PC version being the best version of the game.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    I am fiercely protective of a few games, all of them are on PC except Punch Quest (Android) and Advance Wars (DS).

Yeah... I'll be skipping this generation without even flinching.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

My guess is that the next gen consoles are going to be all about scale in terms of advancement. Open-world is already a big thing nowadays, and now that the consoles have more than two bytes of RAM we might see bigger environments, no loading, all that.

Of course, like 90% of the launch titles are cross-platform with the old consoles so we're not seeing any of that aside from BF4. Maybe Dead Rising 3 will have some interesting stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by SirToast View Post
    Well, the Xbox One can't even hold the 30 frames Ryse is locked on and maybe it's even maxing out the hardware of the console, so what do you think will come? Subsurface scattering, more particles etc. when the console isn't even capable of handling a game like "Ryse" in Full-HD and 60 frames? No.
    It's a launch game. Things will get better before they'll get worse, and even when they get worse in some areas there will be new and wonderful things in others.
    This is what a shooter looked like on the 360 at launch, and somehow Crysis 3 is playable on that box. The first Resistance was barely better looking than Call of Duty 2.