Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus

Hello State of Decay.

So, I have bought this. Sounds like my type of games. Download play.

After my first hour, heres my first impression:

Theres a game in here, and is interesting. Did some driving around at night. The driving is good. Zombies are easy to kill, except in numbers, has must be.

The migration to PC is not finished, so the controls are confused combinations, but is playable.

The ambient is of dread, a bit weird that the npc's are so naive about zombie facts, but understandable.

The gameplay seems around the mechanic of enhancing safehouse. Seems very simple, anyway,.. get out to get resources and make your safehouse better, survive.

I just started, basically just out of the tutorial area.

The graphics are serviceable, but theres some aliasing. More configuration options could turn this game into beatiful. Feels like the type of game the modders turn into a graphically interesting game. Just now is very raw, perhaps a bit ugly.

Network Hub
    Bear in mind it is an early access game after all. I'll probably pick it up when it's finished or close to it, really looking forward to the game, never bothered with DayZ because I knew other people would make me hate it, but State of Decay removes that problem and with the interesting way it handles your playable character in the game I bet I won't get too frustrated with it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Would be very interested to hear further thoughts on this.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Achievement Hunter did two episodes worth of a Full Play on this http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=-pwkq24ll88

Note: Be warned that, while informative, the narrator is also very annoyingly loud at times and his online persona is kind of an annoying dick. But it will do until TB or your favorite PC reviewy-person covers it.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Isn't it already full release other than the lack of support for M+K?

Network Hub
    I don't count early access as full release, but it's all a matter of perspective I suppose.

I'm not sure I would recommend the Full Play as an impressions video either, but more from the fact that he's deliberately avoiding a key mechanic of the game by playing only as Marcus. Also yeah, the Full Plays aren't as fun to watch when it goes from 6 entertainers to 1, often for longer videos too, probably why I no longer watch other LPers.

Hopefully the floodgates of footage open up in the next couple days.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    Would be very interested to hear further thoughts on this.
    In my limite time, the game played well with ambien music. Somehow I alerted a big horde of zombies, so I was skidding with cars tryiing to avoid getting stuck and running over the zombies. The "dun dun dun" sound was satisfying.

Quote Originally Posted by Firewhisper View Post
    I don't count early access as full release, but it's all a matter of perspective I suppose.
    I don't mean that, i mean isn't it already full on consoles and the only reason they're saying it's early access instead of full release is because they didn't implement M+K support?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by UnderwaterCacty View Post
    I don't mean that, i mean isn't it already full on consoles and the only reason they're saying it's early access instead of full release is because they didn't implement M+K support?
    No, apparently they say there might still be the odd glitch or crash bug, and the proper release is still a few months off.

What you’ll see this Friday, if you choose to join forces with us to make the PC version kick ass, is a test version. It’s not ready to be reviewed. It will not be perfect. It may still have crashes. What it won’t have is a keyboard and mouse interface…not at first.
    But yes, it's the complete game, as far as I can tell - not like Betrayer, say.

Network Hub
    So other than lacking the superior control scheme and the authentic glitch/bug experience that only our masterrace entertainment apparatus can provide, is this a complete game? Or are the developers going to add more content during the Early Access stage?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    How can they even release game in beta stage,and charge for it. Devs allow themself to much these days. Imagine selling an unifinished car,or even bear!

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    How can they even release game in beta stage,and charge for it. Devs allow themself to much these days. Imagine selling an unifinished car,or even bear!
    Please link me to where I can purchase an unfinished bear. My wallet is open.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    You wouldn't steal an unfinished bear.

Network Hub
    Or leave unfinished a stolen bear.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    The "How is possible devs are releasing something that is work in progress" is fun, because is completelly normal. So much that Steam have created a category for it, and this game is in it. A catagory for unfinished games. Finding a unfinished game in the unfinished games section is pretty normal too.

Maybe I will wait a bit before playing this game. I want some community action to enhance the graphics (I am a eyecandy whore, and dislike some of the pixels of SoD) and the native controls... the control pad controls are anything but intuitive.

I'd argue that the Early Access scheme is basically developers selling the finished game at release but allowing interested (or masochistic, depending on build quality at a given time) consumers to buy the game in earlier states if they're curious or want to play faster.

I've personally bought KSP, Sir, Prison Architect and now State of Decay in early access, and it's actually been really interesting following a game closer in its development.

As for SoD in particular, having spent a couple of hours now, I'm really liking it, but I'm also strung out by it. I'm not good at zombie games in general due to being scared shitless of the buggers and having to manage a compound as well stresses me no end. It's a great concept though and hopefully I'll get more comfortable with it as time passes.
    Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory since 1982.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stellar Duck View Post
    I'd argue that the Early Access scheme is basically developers selling the finished game at release but allowing interested (or masochistic, depending on build quality at a given time) consumers to buy the game in earlier states if they're curious or want to play faster.
    Yep. A lot of people want to play these games early, it's not scamming consumers into paying for an unfinished product. As long as they're clearly marked and separated from the finished games (as they are on Steam), what's the problem?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Well. I know of a problem.

Some of these games will never finish. Like... I have a strong feeling StarForge will not deliver. Maybe I am wrong with it, I could be right with others. The devs can be killed by a bus, or maybe run out of money and have to move to live in his mother basement and work in mcdonalds, or maybe they can get a day job, have kids and then suddenly not have time for the project.

We 'know' this will not happend with SoD, because is already a finished game. And probably Prison Architect will finish too, because it moves from modular states of "already finished", so nothing is left open and unfinished.

... every other unfinished game risk staying unfinished.

The most popular unfinished game is cc, so I will add a image for lol disservice.

Last edited by Tei; 22-09-2013 at 12:39 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    Maybe I'm assigning too much intelligence to these hypothetical video game buyers, but surely that's a given? You don't ever have a guarantee that a game will improve from the state you buy it in, whether it's "finished" or not. You can take a guess based on the developer's history, or how much they interact with the community, but you won't know for certain.

Yeah, there are now a good number of developers who've done really positive things with the work-in-progress model: Don't Starve, Minecraft, Terraria, Endless Space. I'm still not sure how I feel about it myself, but the fact that there are now prominent cases of people doing it right at least means it'll be harder for people to get away with scams.