Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    I look forward to seeing you in the RPS coummunity channel then!

I for one had to delete EVE from my Steam games and download the game afresh. Since the patcher didn't want to autostart for my client. Very odd.

The 10 minutes I had to try out Incarna before going to work today were quite positive. Many are quite upset over this expansion but I for one quite liked my Captain's Quarters. Especially, perhaps, the new turrets!

Obscure Node
    Still haven't had time to even patch my copy, argh. Want to look at my battleships from inside my quarters so bad...

It was pretty sweet. It added a nice meta touch to the whole ship spinning. Now I can watch my avatar watch ships spin. It's the best.

Activated Node
    £7.50 on Steam today for EVE for anyone on the fence. 30days included in that

Quote Originally Posted by y2rich View Post
    £7.50 on Steam today for EVE for anyone on the fence. 30days included in that
    If only you could reactivate accounts with that...
    Unacosamedarisa: Egg, kiss me, you're beautiful.

Activated Node
    Right, patches downloaded and account set up. Time to create my character! Any reasons to take one race over another?

Obscure Node
    Minmatar is nicknamed Winmatar for a reason (I don't fly them though) and are kings of the nano/skirmish/smallish gang pvp and alpha strike fleet pvp. Amarr is a good second choice for battleship fleet pvp especially. Don't do Gallente like I did, it'll just leave you stubborn and too proud to be a good spaceship superhero.

Activated Node
    I went Caldari in the end like my old character. I am Smidge Kion for anyone that wants to help

Hello everyone, long time listener first time caller here.

So, Eve has intrigued me for a while, so I'm going to give it a go now that it's on the cheap. Here's hoping a youngblood will be accepted into the RPS space beast.

So I just join the RPS Community chat when I'm in there and get yapping then hope for the best? That's seems straightforward and doable. One question though: do I need a mic?

So, I played the trial last night, haven't played the game since the new customer creation. I have to say this and the captains quarters look unbelievable. Eve Online will be the best game ever in the next 5 years

I think i'll be re-subbing for sure in two weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by asizeofgiant View Post
    Hello everyone, long time listener first time caller here.

So, Eve has intrigued me for a while, so I'm going to give it a go now that it's on the cheap. Here's hoping a youngblood will be accepted into the RPS space beast.

So I just join the RPS Community chat when I'm in there and get yapping then hope for the best? That's seems straightforward and doable. One question though: do I need a mic?
    The short answer is yes.

While we won't require it in the beginning, you will need to invest in one at some point. The are two reasons. Number one, you could be a spy. And if we're going to be whelped by one of the many spies in our corp, we at least want to have heard his or her voice!

The second reason is really just the communication. Being in a fleet will sometimes require you to shout up, report things, etc. etc. and without a mic this becomes something of a hassle.

With that said, the best way to get into the corp is to do the tutorials and then simply apply to the corp and wait till one of the directors has a look at your application.

@Scatterbrainpaul

I'm glad you like it! I've started to worry that I'm the only one who thinks the captain's quarter is an amazing environment!

Hello thread of people I am mostly unfamiliar with!

Pomp invited me to play this after I became after envious after an EVE discussion, so I'm on my twenty one day trial thingy now. I've already sent my invite thingy over, and expect to be doing things with you soon.

For now I've just spent several hours in the character editor (even though they made me wear trousers) and run through almost all of the tutorials.

EDIT: I am Liqour Ish in game.
    Last edited by Liqourish; 23-06-2011 at 12:03 PM.

I look forward to blowing things up with you!

If you ever have questions about -anything-, don't hesitate to bother the bitter vets in the RPS Community channel. That is until you get into the corp, and then you can go ahead and pester the people in the corp channel.

If it's the first time playing, get into the habit of asking questions. EVE seems scary at first because of the immense information threshold. Once you pass that it's much less of a daunting game.

/BobHound

I've decided to give in and renew my old account for a month at least to see how it goes. I'm Viltvodle in game but I was mostly focused on manufacturing and mining first time round so I may need to roll a new character to get the best start for PvP.

Obscure Node
    Bigger is better.

(The following is a type-up of a PVP encounter our corp and its allies had the other night. Since (hopefully) there are a lot of people reading this thread that are curious but don't really know a lot about EVE I've tried to be as explanatory as possible and not just use EVE vernacular that wouldn't make sense to someone who has never played the game. If you do know everything about bumps, capital ships, killboards etc then just don't mind all the explanatory stuff, just read on to hear of a sweet gank instead!)

Let me spin you a tale of how us Rock, Paper, Shotgun Holdings pilots play the game. EVE is touted as the one true sandbox MMO where any brave capsuleer can form his or her own fate. One might do mining or trading, run missions or try and rule entire swaths of space. RPSH is however a corporation whose sole purpose is that of PVP; roaming through this sandbox in an attempt to find a fight, sometimes fighting heavily outnumbered and sometime we heavily outnumber the enemy instead.

On one such occasion the other night a couple of our pilots were out flying together with some friends from our alliance (an alliance is, for the uninitiated a formal gathering of corporations who have banded together) looking for something sweet to kill. Moving through system after system, nabbing the odd kill along the way, our gang received an intel report that a Rorqual pilot was acting way too cocky in a system further into deep space. A Rorqual for those who don't know, is probably considered the ultimate ship to kill when you're out in a small gang like this. It is the largest and most expensive industrial ship, and it is so large that it is considered a capital class ship. The key difference between it and other more expensive ships is that it has almost no offensive weapons except the possibility to field drones, thus making an isolated Rorqual pilot excellent prey for a roving band of rapscallions such as ourselves.

This particular Rorqual pilot was engaging in something called station games. What this means is that he was undocking from a space station to taunt any attackers, and since he didn't aggress them back he could just dock up and repair when he started taking too much damage (if you do aggress someone in space you receive a timer to prevent you from being able to flee, once you commit you commit). Our gang of pilots wouldn't give up so easily however and tried their best to 'bump' him off the station by sending their spaceships hurling into his to try and shift his mass around. When this didn't work (Capital ships have a lot of mass and thus require a ship of decent mass and above all decent speed to succeed in a bump) the Fleet Commander (guy calling the shots, telling everyone where to go and who to shoot basically) invited the pilot into the fleet just for laughs. The Rorqual pilot decided to accept this invite for some reason, probably so he could taunt our gang even further.

Quickly a plan was hatched and one of the fleet members parked his ship 200km above the station. Once the Rorqual undocked again the FC used a command called fleet warping which overrides the controls of the separate members and sends them to a location of his choosing, this being the 200km "tactical position", commonly known as a tac, one member was parked at. Once trapped up there the fleet began applying warp disruptors and statis webifiers to the Rorqual, ensuring that unless he managed to call in backup he was doomed. Hint: No one picked up the phone this time

A well thought out and executed plan. I am super jealous for not actually being there (I just typed this up from our own forum to make it more suitable for the public) because a Rorqual just looks so sweet on your killboard (soon you'll learn that it's all about the killboard). Speaking of which, you should have a look at ours if you want to keep up with our shenanigans!

Obscure Node
    Great write up Arch. I was there, it was epic. Going to expand on it a bit. Also, glad to see we’ve got a lot of new guys interested. We’ve just let a bunch of you in and now is the time to join for the rest. It helps having other newbs to learn the game with. Myself, Bob, and Archer all joined up around the same time. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
    <o></o>
    I started playing about 6 months ago now. RPS has moved around a bit since then, but when we started, we lived right near these guys that call themselves Reverberation Project. I would go out by myself and with bob and archer, also newbs at the time and go harass them with our little frigates. Usually they would just run away, or we didn’t have enough firepower to take them down and had to retreat. It was frustrating at times. Well Reverb now has moved into nul sec not too far from us. Now I can fly a much bigger ship that puts out quite a bit of damage (Hurricanes and Winmatar ftw). Now I hunt them down and kill them whenever I get a chance.<o></o>
    <o></o>
    That Rorqual pilot just happened to be Reverb. I think I’ve gotten back at them for the few rifters of mine they killed. These are the kind of stories you can have in Eve. <o></o>
    <o></o>
    Bit more detail on the actual kill. We probably hung out for 15 – 20 minutes around the station with this guy messing with us. He would undock, we’d send 20 of us hurtling at him to try to bump him out of docking range so we could kill him. We tried about 4 times. Tried from above him, below him, from one side… Our ships were just to light to move such a big ship. Someone on comms threw out the idea, “invite him to fleet maybe we could fleet warp him out next time.” Laughter ensues, “who the hell would be that dumb?” Our FC sends him a fleet invite and he accepts! Interesting… We wait for about 5 minutes or so for him to undock. Doesn’t seem like it’s going to happen. Just as our FC has us readying to move on and look for other targets he undocks. Our secondary FC starts hammering the fleet warp button. The video below starts seconds after you can see the fleet warp activate on the Rorq. You can hear our excitement. <o></o>
    <o></o>
    http://www.youtube.com/user/iczerjones#p/a/u/1/OqXcUwlL2E8<o></o>

Serves those bastards right! They popped my Dominix a while back!

Having been away celebrating midsummer's over the weekened I seem to have missed a lot. Join in on the fun forum readers!

/BobHound

Obscure Node
    This is a recent fight we had with an aaliance called SEDITION. This video is better because it shows what you can expect from a typical PVP evening. It is very fast paced and you need to be on your toes. So when in these fleets you need to kiss the wife/GF tell them to leave you alone and get ready for some carnage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zef1i6ajUI

Network Hub
    Curiosity - what's everyone's thoughts on monacle-gate?

Best mainstream writeup I've seen thus far is from Brendan Drain over at Massively (sorry, is it ok to link the competition - nuke if not, if it's any consolation he really does look like Darlene off "Roseanne"). Oh, and from the fans, that link Jae Armstrong was pumping in the comments seems a staggeringly good (though not really mainstream friendly) write up (ie. the price of monacles isn't really the issue here).

edit: this post was up about ten sodding minutes before Q goes and trumps my "best mainstream writeup" assertation. It's like you've hacked into my webcam and installed microphones in my fingertips or something.
    Last edited by MiniMatt; 27-06-2011 at 04:47 PM.

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by MiniMatt View Post
    Curiosity - what's everyone's thoughts on monacle-gate?

Best mainstream writeup I've seen thus far is from Brendan Drain over at Massively (sorry, is it ok to link the competition - nuke if not, if it's any consolation he really does look like Darlene off "Roseanne"). Oh, and from the fans, that link Jae Armstrong was pumping in the comments seems a staggeringly good (though not really mainstream friendly) write up (ie. the price of monacles isn't really the issue here).
    To be honest I could care less about vanity items. I'm a combat pilot and if something involved in the game doesnt affect PVP then i really could care less. Now if they start selling SP and gold ammo and shit like that for real money....well I have a huge problem.

Before playing EVE I was an avid WOW player. Then blizzard decided to make it possible for EVERYONE to have a max lvld character with all pimped out weapons and armor fairly easily. (Seriously if 'm playing a game I dont want it to be so easy that I can have 8-10 pimped out characters on the same account). If CCP starts selling things like SP and gold ammo for RL money, that is a step into the direction that killed WOW for me. (BTW the last I heard WOW was losing players by the millions).

For me EVE is such a great game, and has the potential to be so much better. The Playerbase is real good and by introiducing that kind stuff into a game like eve will drive that player base away. I say this because giving SP away will in fact bring players into game that normally is very friendly to a new MMOG player. Let's face not everyone is cut out to play eve. I'm not saying not to try it but alot of people are not gonna like the SP system and be turned off by all the technical aspects of the game.
    So giving SP and shit away will bring those ppl into the game and in 2 days they will be flying a carrier. They will then join a corp or an alliance and proceed to fail miserably because they have no clue what to do. Then they wil be ridiculed and driven from the game. This is after the majority of the bitter vets have already rage quit the game. Then what you have is a game thats not very enjoyable because EVERYONE have a new shiny ship T2 ship that they really didnt play to get.

sorry for the rant