Page 16 of 30 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
    I'm reactivating my account today. My pilot name is Arbiter Itinerant. I wish to join this tendril of the Hive-Mind's influence.

Activated Node
    Resubbed and starting a new character, its been so long, you can call me a fresh faced newb all over again. Who should I be in contact with to request access to RPS Holdings? Tried looking up the Corp in game and it didnt appear on their tool.

Obscure Node
    Okay so, along the years I've heard talks of this mythical MMO called "EVE Online", that had ships and stuff on it. After listening to many tales about it, I was convinced that EVE Online is nothing more, nothing less than a real life simulator, if humanity already had advanced mining technology and spaceships: everything takes forever, and you get blown up all the time. Now, my interest for this would normally be zero, as it has been all along. However, after hearing many of my friends, online and offline, talking about this with me at least once in my life, I feel like I should at least partake in the EVE experience, just to say I did. And either have the grounds to say I cripplingly liked it or horribly disliked it.

Now, one of my mentioned friends said that this forum (fine establishment, by the by) is giving out referral codes. I don't quite want to pay up front for a confusing game I know nothing about, but looking at myself at this very moment, I'm really interested on it. If I were to ask for a code, would it be provided to me, and would the nice chaps on board already help me out with the ropes? Of course, I plan on helping in any way I can, but as a reminder, I NEVER played this game before, I DON'T KNOW how anything works, but I want to try it out.

Thank you for your time.

Activated Node
    I can send you one , whats the name / email?

Obscure Node
    Well, I haven't attempted to register an account yet, I'm still in the process of downloading the gigantic client, but if it's my e-mail you want, it's andreg.95 at gmail.com.

Activated Node
    Hi,

So i just dived headlong into EVE Online. Is the RPS community still alive and kicking in this scary world of gate camps and piracy? If so I'd It would be cool to get in touch and see if i can join up with you guys.

We are! Head on to the RPS Community channel in EVE and poke one of the members.

I'd like to point out though, to anyone reading he topic, that we are all adult people with jobs and families, so now that Christmas time is coming people will have sketchy online hours.

Toodles!
    BobHound - EVE Online

Activated Node
    I have 9 Friend keys left to give away, if someone wants one let me know

Hey folks, I picked up a 60-day trial from a friend and am giving the game another (third) try. I'm about a day in, doing tutorials and whatnot. I'll probably want to join up with RPS some day, once I've acclimated a bit (and decided whether I want to stick around).

I wanted to ask now, before I'm too invested in this character: do some of the factions still have huge advantages over the other? I don't think I could go Minmatar b/c I can't stand how their ships look, and I like Gallente the most, but reading through the backlog of this thread, some people seem quite down on Gallente. Is that faction a deal-breaker? Because they seem pretty versatile.

Hey Amishmonster, hope to see you join us soon!

Since Crucible blasters have received a fairly significant boost making Gallente a more viable option than before. The issue is still, however, that most gallente ships suffer from being less versatile than say the Minmatar ships. Blasters rely on getting close to the enemy and Gallente ships are often armor tanked making them flying bricks. Typically we fly in small skirmish fleets which means we need to be able to field ships that are able to be very mobile, which makes Gallente ships less appealing. They do still have some awesome ships like for example the interceptor Taranis though, so there are some real neat options with them.

Generally I would say the races are as thus, and this is just an opinion:
    Gallente: Dangerous from up close but not very flexible
    Minmatar: Skirmish warfare extraordinaire
    Caldari: Fields good stable damage at range with missiles but their workhorse the Drake can be a bit slow. Generally a good choice since you get awesome PVE ships for your money making and a solid PVP fleet, like for example the forever hated ECM ship the Falcon.
    Amarr: Does good damage at range and has some really neat Force Recon ships. Admittedly I'm the least versed in these religious lunatics but they've got a fair bit of flexibility available.

It's more or less a rule that everyone who plays EVE should be able to fly a Drake since it's so good for earning cash, but otherwise the choice is yours.
    BobHound - EVE Online

Thanks for the tips, Hanban (Bob?) I may reconsider my choice since I guess I can get over the ship appearance to some extent. Minmatar ships are just so ugly to me, which is a silly reason not to roll one, but there it is. Are Amarr not as weak as the wiki makes them out to be? I quite like how they look (and can ignore the lunatic bit) but don't want to be stuck with ships that can't help tackle or do any damage to armor/hull.

Darn, I should have asked here a couple days ago!

EDIT: Is there any real reason not to just start training Amarr and energy weapon skills on my Gallente dude? It would be odd, but it seems pretty EVE-y to multiclass. I'm probably horribly overthinking this.
    Last edited by amishmonster; 19-12-2011 at 11:30 PM.

I wouldn't say that the Amarr are weak, no. They have some great ships, particularly their battleships perhaps.

The gunnery support skills are the same for energy weapons and hybrid weapons so it's not so much a problem at this point. Since you're new the training times are still very small. Changing for example from Gallente battleships to Amarr battleships will, however, take a lot of times since getting tech II large guns takes roughly two months to train. So it's good to have made a choice early about what you will want to play and focus on that for a while.

I'm not one to talk, though. I started out Caldari and got a Drake. Then I trained Gallente up to battleships so I could shoot at carriers. And then I trained Minmatar for the hurricane. So I'm a bit of a jack of all trades and the options are certainly nice, but I don't have any tech II large gun skills which is a shame.

I think perhaps the wise thing to do is to choose a tech II cruiser you want to fly. For example a Curse for Amarr, falcon for Caldari, Vagabond for Minmatar or Lachesis for Gallente. Have a look at the Force Recon ships or the Heavy Assault Cruisers for the various races and see if there's something you find you want to go for. Then throw your chips in with that race and it'll be fairly easy to recommend what skills you need to train in the long run.
    BobHound - EVE Online

i also recently started playing again. i had a trial account that i never made official, but i finally did yesterday. id love to join this group of brave pilots. my character name is Tonklefert McMasters.

Activated Node
    Hit me up in game, Champion. I have the same name in game that I have in the forums. Also make sure that you join the in game chat channel "RPS Community"

Obscure Node
    Hello. I've played on and off with the Gamers With Jobs crew for about a year and just re-subbed. Your community here was recommended, so here I am.

Look up the RPS Community channel in-game and you'll find us lot. Hit someone up there, Hoarr preferrably, and you can be set on the path of dying a violent death soon enough!
    BobHound - EVE Online

Whas the current in-game isk cost for a month? I've played on and off for a few years, off at the moment as it tends to suck evenings away in the blink of an eye and i've a young family!

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Prester John View Post
    Whas the current in-game isk cost for a month? I've played on and off for a few years, off at the moment as it tends to suck evenings away in the blink of an eye and i've a young family!
    EVE-Central puts PLEX at about 445mill: http://eve-central.com/home/quicklook.html?typeid=29668

(Is it the whole "plex for fanfest" bumping it up, or have things just inflated that much? I've still not worked out exactly when fanfest is...)

RPG Evers in Eastern Time Zone

Hey all I was thinking about playing eve and joining up but was wondering if there are any active members in the EST time zone in the corp. I'd hate to join up and realize all the fun stuff was going on in prime time GMT.

Activated Node
    body, we are extremely active in that TZ. I'm actually EST myself. we're mainly active in the EU/US TZs. If you are interested in taking a look send someone a PM and we'll get you sorted w/ an extended trial and will split the (fairly substatial amount of) in game money made with you if you decide to subscribe.