Page 26 of 30 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast
    I've decided to give EVE another bash and see if this is the time I stick with it. Signed up for the 14 day trial and downloading as I write.

I was wondering if RPSH might be the thing that got me going on the game good and proper. So I'll do the basic stuff and get up to speed with the mechanics again, but after that, I think I'll see about RPSH. Would that be alright?
    Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory since 1982.

Activated Node
    Forget the 14 day trial, send me your email through PM so i can send you a 21 days free invite. if you sub i get a plex and split the cash with ya. go!

Quote Originally Posted by PsyComa View Post
    Forget the 14 day trial, send me your email through PM so i can send you a 21 days free invite. if you sub i get a plex and split the cash with ya. go!
    Eh. I'm having some weird issues with the PM system. I've no idea if I managed to send the PM. If not, my e-mail is [redacted].
    Last edited by Stellar Duck; 27-05-2012 at 05:57 PM. Reason: Seems the PM came through

Quote Originally Posted by Stellar Duck View Post
    Eh. I'm having some weird issues with the PM system. I've no idea if I managed to send the PM. If not, my e-mail is [redacted].
    You can also send in-game mail and check by using Eve Online's Facebook (like) service. The link is https://gate.eveonline.com/, very handy if you're at work.
    Can be found on Steam, Evolve and Eve Online.

(•_•)

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

Quote Originally Posted by mentor07825 View Post
    You can also send in-game mail and check by using Eve Online's Facebook (like) service. The link is https://gate.eveonline.com/, very handy if you're at work.
    That's pretty useful. I had no idea stuff like that existed. Thanks.

And a shoty status report: I rolled a minmatar lady and am now doing tutorials and trying to figure everything out. Guild Wars and The Old Republic being my only MMO experiences, this is quite a different beast. But so far I'm having fun figuring it all out and seeing what's what.

Quote Originally Posted by Stellar Duck View Post
    That's pretty useful. I had no idea stuff like that existed. Thanks.

And a shoty status report: I rolled a minmatar lady and am now doing tutorials and trying to figure everything out. Guild Wars and The Old Republic being my only MMO experiences, this is quite a different beast. But so far I'm having fun figuring it all out and seeing what's what.
    All good Yes, this is a very different MMO than those two. Both of which I played. Minmatar isn't a bad choice, just a slave race :P Do all the tutorials, and then the advanced ones afterwards. It's worth it and not bad money. Then move on to do the Sister's Epic Quest in Arnon (if I remember the system's name correctly). Very good money and definately worth your time.
    Can be found on Steam, Evolve and Eve Online.

(•_•)

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

Quote Originally Posted by mentor07825 View Post
    All good Yes, this is a very different MMO than those two. Both of which I played. Minmatar isn't a bad choice, just a slave race :P Do all the tutorials, and then the advanced ones afterwards. It's worth it and not bad money. Then move on to do the Sister's Epic Quest in Arnon (if I remember the system's name correctly). Very good money and definately worth your time.
    Yea, I'm certainly not going anywhere before I've done all the tutorials. This really strikes me as a game that you'd be foolish to just wade blindly into.

I've made a note of your advice and will do that when I'm sorted out.

One last observation for now: considering this is a game where I mostly play as a space ship the char creator is damn detailed. I'm aware of all the fuss with Incarna and the clothing store, but I hadn't really imagined that they'd put this amount of detail in the characters. I guess at least I look good when I'm not a space ship.

And no matter if the game frequently baffles me: pretty space! I love space!

Activated Node
    Stellar, everything mentor said! And drop us a line in the community chat, we can help.

Also be aware we won't refer to you as Duck because we already have a duck(slayer), a troll of epic proportions and legendary fame, so you'll be Stellar.

Quote Originally Posted by PsyComa View Post
    Stellar, everything mentor said! And drop us a line in the community chat, we can help.

Also be aware we won't refer to you as Duck because we already have a duck(slayer), a troll of epic proportions and legendary fame, so you'll be Stellar.
    Stellar is fine. That's what most people call me on the RPS-O-Chat-2300 in any case.

I'm still debating if I want to sink regular money into an MMO, so how far away is paying for subscription time with ISK? I'm fine with one-time purchases, but recurring costs not so much, being a student and all.

Activated Node
    Boris, you can do it as soon as you're running level 4 missions. That should take you something like 3-4 months? maybe more, probably not less.

If you're a decent trader you can start paying with isk at your 2nd month (1st has to be rl cash anyways), but that requires brains and spreadsheet skills.

Activated Node
    Trading is certainly the best way to make money at eve, but not everyone can do it. This guy managed to make enough in his first month to pay for two months playtime and is now reddit's faction warfare corp CEO. http://fulldisclosureeve.wordpress.com/

Granted he already had knowledge of the game, but he only used money he made on that character.

A lot of corps when you join them seem to suggest you immediately upon starting pod your way down to their low sec base of operations. How wise is this? I mean, isn't it best to stay in high sec for awhile to do missions? I'm assuming you have to be in high sec to do level 1/2 missions etc? Or am I wrong?

Typically we recommend you stay in High-Sec until you're fairly comfortable flying your ship. After you've done the tutorials you do the Sisters of EVE epic arc and after that you're ready to have your clone face the vacuum of space.
    BobHound - EVE Online

Do you have to go back to high sec to do other missions? Or can you do them in low sec?

Activated Node
    Sidian, we actually don't generally suggest people fly missions period. It's a fairly soul crushing activity once you've gotten a hold of the game and doesn't really give that much isk as a reward. Exploration is much more profitable and can be fairly interesting.

I take it that whatever corp you're in is living in lowsec? If so, the exploration there is great. You can make a decent amount of isk running the sites with cruisers and a salvage destroyer.

This is actually how the guys that joined in the middle of last year made most of their money for the first few months.

I see. Yes, missions are pretty boring but I figured that everyone did them occasionally to make money. Don't you ever do level 4 missions or whatever? I know the guys in the old Eurogamer corp (used to be on good terms with the RPS corp) used to do them, which made me regret skipping a bunch of missions whilst on my trial. That was a few years ago though.

Obscure Node
    Woo! I've decided to take the plunge and try EVE. Sadly, can't dl it until I get home from work. Anything you guys recommend I read in the mean time? (Thank god for jobs with lots of downtime.)

Activated Node
    Kylock, sorry for the lack of response until now. You've almost certainly already started playing the game, but if you haven't, I'll shoot you a buddy key which when you subscribe will give me a plex that we can then split. It comes out to about ~240 mil for each of us.

In terms of shit to read, there is literally more available to read than you will ever be able to get through. Right at first, I would highly suggest you stick to Eve University's wiki. It has a ton of stuff for helping new guys (obviously, as that's their purpose). If you give us a shout in game, we'll point you towards our Corp's forums where we have a TON of stuff that we find helpful for new guys as well.

Come join us over in the "RPS Community" channel in game and we'll get you squared away. If you haven't signed up yet, shoot me the PM and I'll hook you up w/ the 21 day trial. I'll see you in there

Activated Node
    I just had to link this poster that greggles on these forums made for RPSH