Page 7 of 30 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus President Weasel's Avatar
    I was never in it for the riches, I was in it for the ships. Which I would then get blown up flying with the Moustache Twirling Space Cads, and then do a bit more carebearing to get more ships. And though I will admit I might have spent a bit more imaginary space money pimping my mission ships than was entirely necessary, that was to make the time I spent grinding the missions shorter. (and also because I couldn't resist pimping my ships - everyone knows that fitting programs are more fun than actually playing the game)
    In the end I stopped playing though, so now I am not rich at all. I do have probably a couple of billion in cash and assets scattered around though, if I ever reactivated the accounts. A decent chunk of that came from running faction war missions and selling faction frigates (which is carebearing where people shoot at you and you have to be all Das Boot) and doing pirate arcs and selling or keeping faction cruisers (which is carebearing where people shoot at you and trap you in bubbles, and you have to try to get from Empire to deep null in an AF, and then back to Empire again with a couple of hundred mill in blueprints in your hold).

Obscure Node
    myself i hate carebearing and all that but you need to make money somehow, which brings up somethng else that should be mentioned here. for the new player. Being a pvp combat is great fun but it does not pay very well. So you need to come up with a way to fund all these nice shiny spaceships that are getting blown up daily.

Luckily there are a few ways to do this:

Prolly the easiest way is missioning. not only will you be able to keep training for the necessary PVP skills that you need but you will be able to make cash to fund your ships. the only drawback is this. The best amount of money is in lvl 4 mission which you basically need a batleship to run. however since you will spend a good 6 months in frigates and cruisers the lower level missions will make ample enuf isk to fund them.

Another way is through wormholes and complexes. wormholes and complexs are scanned down and then you shoot things. The bad thing about these are this, if you are in anything smaller than a battlecruiser you are prolly dead.

Another good way is ratting, in 0.0 and low sec you shoot pirates and collect bounties. the downside to this is ppl warping in on you and killing you.

There are plenty of other ways to make isk but im not going to drone on and on about it. The fact is that as a combat pilot you need to be able to sustain your ships

There are actually three downsides to missions:
    1) you need standings with factions to get the good ones (high quality level 4 missions), and you need to grind lower-value missions to get there
    2) you need a battleship and half-decent skills to do level 4s
    3) they are dull as hell

Once you have a decent mission fit battleship and half decent skills, and once you know which sites to check for descriptions of the mission, and how to fit your ship for the specific damage to expect from the enemies (which are always the same for each mission), and especially once you've done the (limited number of) missions a couple of times, there's no longer any real danger or excitement and it's just a grind.

On the plus side, since the missions are so dull, there's a good chance that someone who does level 4 missions will be bored enough to welcome you to their missions in a cruiser or battlecruiser and give you a share of the rewards and the standing increases, just for a change from doing dull dull dull missions on their own. Once you get enough standings for level 3s you can probably burn through the 3s pretty quickly and make half decent money while you get the standings to do 4s.

Obscure Node
    ya htey are dull, but after a while if you work at it you can do what i do and train for a rattlesnake so you can pretty much afk mission, while pvp'ing. but like he said its dull and boring but an easy way to keep oyu in your frigs and cruisers when you first start playing.

Im personally thinking of doing a little lowsec piracy once I've got the sisters of eve arc out of the way. Gonna get a rifter and a basic fit, move south to Derelik and prowl around scanning for easy targets. It might not be as profitable as missions but its sure as hell more fun. I've found a couple of really good guides so hopefully I can make a living out of it, at least partly. Stand and deliver!

Obscure Node
    I like your attitude frenz0rz, just bear in mind that since RPSH and our alliance is a NBSI (not blue shoot it) entity you might accidentally get murdered to bits by us or our friends!
    Archer Vegari in Eve Online.
    Archer Vegas in Bad Company 2.
    Nihilille in other random games.

Quote Originally Posted by Nihilille View Post
    I like your attitude frenz0rz, just bear in mind that since RPSH and our alliance is a NBSI (not blue shoot it) entity you might accidentally get murdered to bits by us or our friends!
    All the more reason for me to beg my way into RPSH as soon as possible!

Getting 20 fitted rifters and heading out into the black to lose them all in fights is a pretty good way to learn, but it's also a good way to lose the cost of 20 fitted rifters. I don't think it's possible to make money pirating in a rifter, and you'll probably find yourself going from empty system to empty system to empty system for hours and hours.

Quote Originally Posted by President Weasel View Post
    Getting 20 fitted rifters and heading out into the black to lose them all in fights is a pretty good way to learn, but it's also a good way to lose the cost of 20 fitted rifters. I don't think it's possible to make money pirating in a rifter, and you'll probably find yourself going from empty system to empty system to empty system for hours and hours.
    Well then surely its all the more important to pick my fights carefully then, eh? :P

As you said though, its a good way to learn, and overall I think the money I might lose is nothing compared to the experience I'll gain. And the fun I might have! I've got 12 million ISK in the bank, so I can afford to lose a few rifters. The thing is, I cant honestly see myself paying good money for EVE if all I do is sit around in high sec doing missions or taking hauling contracts. I want to be out there in lowsec and nulsec enjoying myself, even if it means I might lose a few basic frigates.

@frenz0rs

The tears are where it's at, man. Oh to see them whine.
    BobHound - EVE Online

Quote Originally Posted by frenz0rz View Post
    Well then surely its all the more important to pick my fights carefully then, eh? :P

As you said though, its a good way to learn, and overall I think the money I might lose is nothing compared to the experience I'll gain. And the fun I might have! I've got 12 million ISK in the bank, so I can afford to lose a few rifters. The thing is, I cant honestly see myself paying good money for EVE if all I do is sit around in high sec doing missions or taking hauling contracts. I want to be out there in lowsec and nulsec enjoying myself, even if it means I might lose a few basic frigates.
    You don't need to be hanging out in low-null with just frigates, though. I've been playing for about two weeks, and I've trained up to flying cruisers, all the while being able to fly in a full-fit frigate.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Bakke View Post
    You don't need to be hanging out in low-null with just frigates, though. I've been playing for about two weeks, and I've trained up to flying cruisers, all the while being able to fly in a full-fit frigate.
    What are you talking about, everyone knows rifters are the best ship in the game.
    Unacosamedarisa: Egg, kiss me, you're beautiful.

A Rifter or similar frigate is ideal simply because it is more expendable. I could prowl around lowsec in a destroyer or cruiser, but at this stage losing such a fully fitted vessel would be catastrophic. Besides, they're bloody nippy, and if I want to get into scrambling range before my target warps out I dont want a Thrasher plodding along at 300m/s.

Obscure Node
    You will go far Frenzorz.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
    <o></o>
    My first solo kill was in irshah a few weeks into the game (also in derelik). I was in my trusty rifter and another rifter was on scan. We were both bouncing around planets and belts looking for each other when finally I landed on grid with him. I got the jump on him and fired off a few volleys before he did, think that made all the difference since I tore him to shreds. It was exhilarating. And I even ransomed his pod for 10 mil. That said, most of the time I found nothing but drakes. I’d warp in, tackle them and harass them but no chance of actually doing any real damage to them and warp out. My advice is to Leroy those rifters and tackle everything you see where there aren’t gate guns, you’ll lose ships, but you’ll also learn about other ships and how to tackle. Also holler in RPS community if you do manage to get something tackled that’s too big for you solo. I will burn over there and help you out if you can last long enough. Although not being blue to the alliance will get you shot at by the rest of the guys. <o></o>
    <o></o>
    Anyways, came here to post this video. It’s fairly realistic, and a most of the stuff that you hear on comms in the video are the same terms and you’ll hear them when you’re actually playing the game. Plus it gives you the viewpoint from an interceptor, which for all of you new guys could be the first step up from a t1 frig if you choose to go that route, doesn’t take much time to skill into. <o></o>
    <o></o>
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSxSyv4LC1c<o></o>

Obscure Node
    Sigh if I could get that back I'd totally play again.

Obscure Node
    Hey hey,

I recently tried a 14 day trial of EVE and I liked it so much I decided to buy a 1 month "thing" during a Steam sale. However I really havent got a clue what Im supposed to be doing which kinda p*ssed me off a little and I havent played for a bit.

I'm a bit of a space freak and I'm so hoping to get into this game and do some cool stuff, but its just so unforgiving for new players I feel, and without a bit of guidence I feel lost.

I've been trying for ages to find a noob friendly corp and hopefully you guys are willing to "take me under your wing" - or something

Cheeeeeeeers.

Quote Originally Posted by vinno View Post
    Hey hey,

I recently tried a 14 day trial of EVE and I liked it so much I decided to buy a 1 month "thing" during a Steam sale. However I really havent got a clue what Im supposed to be doing which kinda p*ssed me off a little and I havent played for a bit.

I'm a bit of a space freak and I'm so hoping to get into this game and do some cool stuff, but its just so unforgiving for new players I feel, and without a bit of guidence I feel lost.

I've been trying for ages to find a noob friendly corp and hopefully you guys are willing to "take me under your wing" - or something

Cheeeeeeeers.
    Hello vinno!

We would certainly love to take you under our wing and turn you into a spacedick. As you might have read in the thread we have quite a few applicants at the moment and at the end of the coming week, or the beginning of the one after that we're gonna let a few more in. So hang around in the RPS Community channel in-game and send in an application. Hopefully you'll be let in soon, but it all depends on how many have queued up!

/BobHound
    BobHound - EVE Online

Additionally for those new folks that are waiting for apps to open back up: feel free to come by the RPSH community channel for help. If you ask a question and don't get a response it's probably just because people are busy or otherwise distracted, not that we don't want to help. We all know there's a veritable mountain of data to digest as a new player and we want to get you over that hump.

Also, if anyone needs some ISK to keep them in disposable rifters feel free to look me up in game (Mezgorod or CaptainWaffles in game) and I will hook you up.

I'm tryin the Rifter deal but you've got be careful. I ran into two BC's and they didn't even give me the chance to engage them before they scrambled me and blew my tiny frigate to little bits. Your first month or so is always the most boring because you're training up to the big hitters. I'm desperate to find some pvp so I've just been flying Rifters out to low and nullsec looking for trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by kaahz View Post
    [SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri]
    <o></o>
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSxSyv4LC1c<o></o>
    I was there.
    I was there when Muerko's band of space bastards found a POS in a wormhole. I was there when we blew the shit out of it.
    I was there when the poor saps who lived there logged in in ones and twos to find no POS and a bunch of angry spaceships.
    I was there for PVP fights that left me with shaking hands from an adrenaline rush like no other game before or since.
    I was there for Death Race 2010. (I came 11th)
    I was there for "stealth missions" in faction war, sneaking about in a stealth bomber behind enemy lines, dodging people warping in on me, escaping being decloaked by mere metres several times.
    I was there for one of Eben's classic "I'm too drunk to even see properly, chaaarge!" FC moments, with my stiletto escaping from the fight with just the tiniest sliver of hull holding it together.

I was there for hour after hour of jumping into systems and finding nothing to kill.
    I was there for a gatecamp that lasted all evening and gained us no kills.
    I was there for grinding missions for ship money, because there wasn't much going on.
    I was there for World of Tanks nicking a bunch of active players, leaving the rest of us logging on, hanging around, not finding enough people for a fleet, logging off again. For days.
    I was there for a POS bash that got a bunch of motherships dropped on it because some big alliance was bored.
    Last edited by President Weasel; 11-07-2011 at 04:21 PM.