Activated Node

Problems with Deus Ex:Human Revolution (help appreciated)

Hi, I've just started playing Deus Ex:HR, but I seem to be running into a few problems.

Basically, it freezes and then crashes to desktop fairly regularly. It seems to happen when people are being killed/taken down, but that's probably just a conicidence. I have a Radeon HD 5770 and Windows 7 64 bit. I've put the graphics settings generally to max (aside from the Texture Filtering) and it seems to be running fine, if a little laggy.

Is there anything I can do to prevent the crashes please?

Many thanks!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Firstly make sure your drivers are all upto date. Secondly you should validate they game files through Steam. Thirdly use the default graphical settings and see if that helps (just ensure you're in the resolution you want). It might be something like particle effects causing you issues.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

Activated Node
    Ok thank you! Apologies for being a "noob" but how would I go about updating Ati drivers? I've run into major problems in the past with graphics drivers so i'd rather not make any mistakes!

You could try this: -

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownloa...to_detect.aspx

essential download and run and it will do the rest.

Alternatively goto the steam menu and select check for video driver updates. I believe it will update ATi cards.

As regards validating the game on steam, select the game in your game list, right click (context click) go to properties and select 'local files' and then verify integrity of game cache. It takes some time (maybe 5 minutes) and you can't do anything on steam whilst it's going (like messages etc), but essentially it checks all the game files are correct and downloads any missing/corrupt ones.

Hope that helps

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Activated Node
    Well the new driver is currently downloading (turns out my current one is from Feb 2010!), so hopefully that'll deliever some improvements! I'll validate the files when that's finished. Thank you very much for your help Kadayi, really appreciated!

Well I hope it works. If you're still running into issues you might want to consider looking for bios updates for your GPU, however we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

Probable Replicant

Activated Node
    After a rather convoluted install process I got the driver to update and work!
    And it's all fine now, no crashes, and performance also seems to be better (is that to be expected from such an update)

Many thanks Kadayi, really helpful!

Quote Originally Posted by piggydiggy View Post
    After a rather convoluted install process I got the driver to update and work!
    And it's all fine now, no crashes, and performance also seems to be better (is that to be expected from such an update)
    Yes. It's a good idea to update your GPU drivers every so often. Glad it's all working ok.

Probable Replicant