Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Perpetuum Online

I'm playing Perpetuum again at the moment with a view to possibly writing some stuff about it on the main site http://www.perpetuum-online.com/ It's essentially Eve-with-robots, nothing like as polished or dynamic as the big space MMO, but nonetheless interesting if you happen to like glacially slow sandbox MMOs.

There's a two week trial on there so if anyone fancies trying it out for a while you can ping me in there. My character name is zwiss.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus thegooseking's Avatar
    I'm downloading the client to give it a try, though it'll take a lot to convince me I have the time and money for two MMOs (especially since the other one is Anarchy Online, which I think has the most expensive sub out there).

But I like the screenshots and the trailer, and I did like Eve, and the world looks like my kind of thing, so who knows? I'm prepared to give it a chance.
    "Moronic cynicism is a kind of na´vetÚ. It's na´vetÚ turned inside-out. Na´vetÚ wearing a sneer." -Momus

I played the beta, actually bought in on the early start, and then never logged in after the beta. I still get the email announcements, but I never found anything in the game that I saw worth a monthly sub, considering the competition. :/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    Is there anything there worth investigating for someone who loves, but is bored of, Eve?

Quote Originally Posted by Kelron View Post
    Is there anything there worth investigating for someone who loves, but is bored of, Eve?
    That is what I want to find out. They have killboards, anyway.

I think that most MMOs have little to offer past the first month unless you're in a good group. I'd have probably stuck with PO if I'd had more than one friend playing with me. We both kind of felt like there wasn't anything much different ahead of us in the game since we weren't part of a big corp, so weren't going to be doing any organized PVP, and the PVE was pretty shallow.

EDIT: If I can remember what I changed my password to after they had that security breach, I'll see if I have any time banked.

It's a fairly easy 573MB download to grab. The mining tutorial gave a vague whiff of the grinding i expect is involved and going through the interface in the tutorial I found it a bit clunky. I'd quite like to just dive into some of that interesting-looking PvP, wonder how soon it is before one can get involved with great rockets of justice.
    Last edited by Ayam; 29-12-2011 at 11:37 PM. Reason: Too dismissive!

Make sure you do all ten of the tutorial missions - yes, even the mining one, Jim - because you receive a tier 1 light bot as your ultimate reward, which will save you having to grind 400K+ to buy one.

EDIT: Also, join RPS channel in game if you're already there.

Killboards! http://www.perp-kill.net/?m=list

Also join chat channel rps if you are in there.

Lesser Hivemind Node TailSwallower's Avatar
    Anyone got a link to minimum specs? Traveling at the moment with a netbook that isn't particularly powerful, but otherwise like the idea of getting in on something EVE-esque with some RPSers.
    weekendwarrio.rs - We've got more games than time...

Specs are on the download page http://www.perpetuum-online.com/Client_download

Secondary Hivemind Nexus thegooseking's Avatar
    One thing they don't mention in the specs is screen resolution. Given the UI I have a feeling it helps to have a high resolution (unless it scales and for some reason just looks like that on all resolutions). UI windows can be minimised, though, which helps, and it's pretty much almost ok on my pitiful 1600*900 monitor. A netbook screen is, what, 1024*600, though? Not sure how well that would work.
    "Moronic cynicism is a kind of na´vetÚ. It's na´vetÚ turned inside-out. Na´vetÚ wearing a sneer." -Momus

Yes, a big screen is definitely best for all the UI elements.

Corporation is up with half a dozen of us now. Anyone else joining go to channel rps for an invite.

Half a dozen of us have a corporation set up. Swing by if you are interested in doing the trial account stuff.

Lesser Hivemind Node TailSwallower's Avatar
    Yeah, the specs leave me out of it. Good luck though, lads. If I decide to get my good laptop shipped over to the UK to meet me there next month, 'cause we're settling in Horsham for 6 months, then I'll see if you're still perpetually playing. I'm sorely tempted to get it shipped over, but it'll be a pain in the arse when we're on the final leg of our trip, and access to fewer games should mean I spend more time being productive and writerly.
    weekendwarrio.rs - We've got more games than time...

Obscure Node
    *Newbie wave*

Actually find the whole idea terribly interesting, so even if there aren't enough freebies to go around I think I might get involved. As penniless as I may be.

Shall endeavour to retrieve the client!

*Edit*

Server went down JUST as I logged in. Best of times.
    Last edited by Asher535; 02-01-2012 at 03:08 PM.

A dozen people in corp now. Mostly running missions and making money for now. Ping us in rps if you want an invite.

Obscure Node
    Grabbed the client and I'm having a look over the tutorials at the moment. Once the servers are back up then I'll hop on the chat channel.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    I've found a couple of sites that look helpful, a Wiki and a blog with some guides and info.

Here's a quick overview of the manufacturing process from what I've worked out (correct me if anyone knows better):

Facilities are found under the leftmost button on the right hand side of the menu when you're inside a terminal. Reverse Engineering, Factory and Prototype Facility.

Calibration Templates, or CTs, are the blueprint for manufacturing items in Perpetuum. Manufacturing is done, surprisingly enough, in the Factory. This appears to be the most skill-intensive stage, as some items and robots require many materials to create and there are a number of skill to decrease material use and time taken. Each production run from a CT will degrade it, so you only have a limited number of uses before having to create a new one. This can be mitigated with skills.

Decoders are used in combination with an item to reverse engineer it and create a CT. Some items need higher level decoders (from 1-10), using a higher level than necessary results in a more efficient CT. Skills only increase the number of parallel jobs and the time it takes, so are not essential for this stage. Creating CTs for higher tech level items requires a prototype (see below).

Kernels are used to research prototype designs for items. What exactly you learn is random from a subset of items based on the type of kernel, so stockpiling them for later use seems sensible. Once you get 100% knowledge of an item you can create prototypes of it by accessing the Prototype Facility. Prototypes are much more expensive to build than the standard item, so are best used for reverse engineering to create more advanced CTs, rather than fitting directly to your robot.

Obscure Node
    My old Corp seem to have all but dried up in my time out of game (either that or they're just ignoring me), so you lucky sods get put up with my chat instead. Yaaay!

I've got one PvP and one Indy character (Funnelhead/Mighty Quinn respectively), so if I can figure out my robot arse from my robot elbow, I'll gladly throw both in Corp.