Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Obscure Node
    Are any RPS folks playing from Australia? If there are comrades about in this timezone, and the ping isn't unbearable, I'll definitely give this a go.

So, I was thinking of starting the free trial on Friday so that I have two (almost 3) weekends to play the game. However, I don't have a lot of time nowadays, so I probably wouldn't be able to play over the week. Does this game require enough time that I couldn't just play it effectively if I only played over weekends, and would 2-3 weekends not give me enough experience with the game to make an informed decision on whether or not to get a subscription afterwards?

Quote Originally Posted by Hat Galleon View Post
    So, I was thinking of starting the free trial on Friday so that I have two (almost 3) weekends to play the game. However, I don't have a lot of time nowadays, so I probably wouldn't be able to play over the week. Does this game require enough time that I couldn't just play it effectively if I only played over weekends, and would 2-3 weekends not give me enough experience with the game to make an informed decision on whether or not to get a subscription afterwards?
    Well, since it's a free trial, go ahead and try it out. Remember, Extension Points (the game's version of xp) accrue whether you are online or not.

Network Hub
    Is it just me or is the statecorum down?
    Easy (nCore) likes Braaaains
    Find me on Steam

It was being moved to a new host, is back up now.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Downloading now to give it a shot. Updater kinda slow. Be an hour or so. 92mb in 15 mins =/

Just a note that we're rapidly becoming a stompy robot force of nature, and the subject of much chatter among the older players. Come be a part of it!

Quote Originally Posted by DarkNoghri View Post
    Question: Turns out I have an account that I registered way back when they were running the beta. I never got into the beta.

Am I likely screwed as far as a free trial goes? It sounds like it's a code that they're supposed to email you, but I don't seem to have one. Possibly because I didn't make a new account.
    Anyone? 10char

hmm, you have an account, but never played the game at all? And you can log into this account on the Perpetuum site?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    If you never used the account you won't have any experience points and might as well make a new one for the trial.

Apparently, they don't mail you a code. Your two week trial begins immediately on account creation, not when you first log in and start playing, which is odd.

So, I have a two week trial that started about half an hour ago. Hmmmm.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    Not sure why you consider that odd, the trial page definitely recommended I download and install the client first.

Hi guys, just posting to say I will be joining you as a friend has convinced me to try the game again. I was actually on the beta but barely played as at the time I couldn't persuade the same mate to try it then. Have a bit of experience with Eve and a variety of other sandbox mmo's. I will find you on the RPS channel and look forward to joining the corp.

OK, so I played a little yesterday (pilot name = Chrom) and got an Inv to the corp (thanks guys!).

Initial thoughts as someone who has never played Eve, but dabbled with other MMOs -
    • Some of the UI seems counter-intuitive or just plain confusing. e.g. if I can click on a drone/target on the screen, why must I then use the "Landmarks" window to select it as a target using an RMB menu, rather than having the same menu pop-up on the drone in the playing field?
    • It's not exactly helpful. Several of the tutorial/training missions were unclear (maybe down to poor translation?) and it was too easy to do things wrong. e.g. one mission I had to take some data to a terminal, except the game didn't automatically load the data into my cargo. Another mission I had to recover some data from a terminal, but the game allowed me to start the mission without having enough cargo space to complete it.
    Minor quibbles probably, but they were still jarring and not at all a smooth experience. And, oh my god, you have to open so many windows to be able to do anything. Is there a way to bind both my guns (mk2 newbie bot) to a single key/button?

Overall, I think I like it. There's obviously a lot of depth to it and I'd like to get to the stage where I can participate in a proper battle, but we'll see how the trial period goes...
    Admin for the RPS Divisions of Death
    General Spreadsheet busybody
    Chrom - Perpetuum
    When asked, he merely responded with a wry bleat followed by a swift kick to the testicles.
    - Rakysh

I'm also a newbie here, but:

1. There's a window in which when you click on someone, it selects them and has lock-primary, lock-secondary, and unlock buttons on it. I've never locked someone through the landmark window.

2. If you check the keybindings, you'll find some interesting stuff. I wondered for a while why I had to click all my guns to keep firing at different targets. Turns out space-bar is alpha strike by default. It fires everything.

good to know, cheers fella :)
    Chrom - Perpetuum
    When asked, he merely responded with a wry bleat followed by a swift kick to the testicles.
    - Rakysh

Joined up yesterday, ran the tutorial and a mission. Dual machineguns :D Game looks interesting to me. Quite like EVE, which is not bad, with a far less abstract world. I always found the universe of EVE to be too abstract for my liking. I'll be running about a little and getting a feel for how things work, but would appreciate if anyone playing would show me around a bit :) It's not as if the game seems to start you out in a busy hub location, or points you to one :p I guess maybe I will do some exploring and save up for a bigger robot or something and see what happens when I get home today.

Agent nick is "Powri". See you ingame :)

Quote Originally Posted by PoulWrist View Post
    Joined up yesterday, ran the tutorial and a mission. Dual machineguns :D Game looks interesting to me. Quite like EVE, which is not bad, with a far less abstract world. I always found the universe of EVE to be too abstract for my liking. I'll be running about a little and getting a feel for how things work, but would appreciate if anyone playing would show me around a bit :) It's not as if the game seems to start you out in a busy hub location, or points you to one :p I guess maybe I will do some exploring and save up for a bigger robot or something and see what happens when I get home today.

Agent nick is "Powri". See you ingame :)
    I'm Chrom :)

Do all the tutorial missions, you end up with a few bots, one for combat, one for industry. I saw you'd reached ICS Alpha last night, do missions there to earn rep and cash, once your rep gets above 0.2 with a "sub faction" (combat or industry) then the next tier of missions will open up to you.

I joined (late) a squad looking for some PvP action last night, got to take a sightseeing tour, play chase with some bots and fire 6 shots at a potential target - it wasn't quite an unqualified success :)
    Chrom - Perpetuum
    - Rakysh

Hi there,

I subscribed for the free trial yesterday.
    I've got a question concerning character creation.

There are some tools/websites to help to choose the best options during your character creation.
    http://gremrod.wordpress.com/categor...cter-creation/

http://foom.electric-mayhem.org/wiki/character_creation

http://www.perpetuum-planner.com/

If i want to start with PvE and Mining, it's better to create 2 characters, since going hybrid is not encouraged. (pure builds are considered best in the guides i found online)
    But with the EP system (like Eve) you can only spent it once on 1 character.
    So to be the best in, and create the optimal character for PvE and Mining you have to have 2 accounts.
    One for each career path.

Am i correct in this assumption and can you tell me what part (PvE or Mining) is best to start with?
    Which part is more 'fun' in the game current state? (i know finding something fun is a personal opinion)

cheers

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Finally thinking of giving this game a try this weekend. I have ample free time over the weekend finally, and few distractions. Will download the client before creating an account, thanks to this forum. Will also make sure to complete all 10 tutorial missions. Sounds like a fair deal - 1 or 2 mechs for the missions. Pretty good stuff.

Just think its finally time to try playing a game with real risk/reward systems where planning and taking changes really matters.