Nosgoth Open Beta and RPS (Unofficial) Group

buffynosgothBANNER.jpg<-click image to enlarge. :>

Nosgoth is entering open beta for all Steam users starting tomorrow. I'm hoping some of the friendly RPSers will be there to help foster a strong and happy community. If you're not aware of Nosgoth it's a free to play 3rd person action game set in the Legacy of Kain universe. (Here's the recent RPS post) (Steam game page here)

Four human hunters go up against four vampire ...err..munchers? in Team Death Match or Capture Point gameplay. Humans have four distinct ranged classes to pick from and vampires have four melee classes. Each team plays until time or score limit is met and then you switch sides so that each team will get a chance to play as both vampires and humans. Matches typically take 20 minutes or less. Gameplay feels a lot like a medieval version of Left 4 Dead's Vs mode but in 3rd person.

It's Free to Play?
    Everything in the game can be bought with in-game currency except cosmetic skins. You also have the option to rent items instead of buying them so you can try them out first. It's really easy to acquire items permanently just by playing though, and there is never any reason to spend money in this game unless you want a cosmetic skin.

Each match you play gives you some Gold and experience. You earn Gold win or lose but slightly more when your team wins, experience is based purely on your personal gameplay with kills, damaging foes and other helpful actions adding to it.
    Gold can be used to buy any of the optional weapons or skills for each class in the game, experience levels your player profile and your the individual classes you play. Class stats do not change with leveling so it is simply to track progress. Every 5 levels your player rank goes up (and this happens quite quickly) you unlock another character class of your choice. (When you start 2 of the vampire classes and 2 of the human classes are locked from use.)
    Every 5 levels you progress in an individual class (for example the Human Prophet class or the Vampire Sentinel) you get a free primary attack or weapon. Additionally each time you play a match you have a small chance to be randomly awarded an item.

What you can buy with real money:
    Any item can be bought with real money but the only item really worth buying is Cosmetic skins if you want something unique. You can purchase an xp/gold booster that will increase your experience and gold gain for several days each time you play a match. The best booster also positively boosts everyone you play a match with, but these boosters are totally unnecessary.

What you should buy with your Gold:
    In general I recommend players not buy any primary weapons or attacks for humans or vampires until they have leveled each class a bit. Every 5 levels you progress in a class gives you a random primary weapon or attack for that class, so if you buy a weapon or attack early you may end up with duplicates. In the future there will be item trading and crafting so these duplicates won't be as wasteful but as it stands now they serve little purpose. Watch other players and see what items they're using. If it looks like fun buy it or rent it first to see if it suits you. There is no wrong answer for what loadout to use so experiment and play with what you enjoy most.

Human classes:
    Humans rely on teamwork and concentrated firepower to destroy vampires. Humans are generally stuck on the ground but can move around the map from heal station to heal station.

Hunter:
    One of the two classes you begin the game with. The hunter has a rapid fire repeating crossbow. Their skills include the ability to fire a few explosive crossbow bolts and the ability to throw disabling bolas (like batman) at the vampires. Hunters are versatile and useful for almost any kind of player.

Alchemist:
    The other unlocked starting human class. Alchemists fill a support role but deal lots of damage with their alchemical grenade launcher. They can also blind vampires with a light vial or throw down a fire bomb drawing a literal line (of fire) in the sand that will ignite any vampire unlucky or foolish enough to cross it. Alchemists are good for people who aren't accurate 100% of the time, or like to shoot at the action in general.

Prophet:

Unlockable when you hit level 5 or any 5 levels after that. The Prophet is a mystical gunwoman who weilds dual pistols and slings around curses. Abilities include a shot that drains life from a vampire and transfers it to you and a bullet that stuns and disables a vampire. Prophets are slow firing but can deal major damage if you hit consistently.

Scout:
    Unlockable when you hit level 5 or any 5 levels after that. The ranger/sniper class. Equipped with a long bow that you can draw back and fire for great damage, throwing daggers and the ability to call down a rain of arrows in a small area. The Scout's fully drawn bow shot has no lead time (like a rail gun) which can be pretty devastating if used well.

Vampire Classes: Vampires are faster than humans and they climb walls. However they lack many ranged attacks and have to get in close to kill. They can also only heal large amounts by feeding on human corpses leaving them vulnerable to counter attack.

Reaver:
    One of the two starting vampire classes. The Reaver is like the hunter from left 4 dead. They have a pounce attack which pins a human and does damage, however they do not stay permanently affixed to a human like in l4d. The Reaver also has a smoke grenade that vampires can see through but humans cannot, and an evasion skill that protects you from projectiles like bullets and arrows for a short time. Reaver smoke in the middle of a battle can ensure your team's victorious attack or safe escape.

Tyrant:
    The other starting vampire class. The Tyrant is a big muscly tank. Designed to get in and disrupt or initiate a group attack. Tyrants have more hp than other vampires but move slower too. Their primary attack is a charge which allows you to topple any humans you hit. The secondary attack is a ground slam that deals AOE damage. The last skill hardens your skin allowing you to take reduced damage while you draw attention or flee from battle. Tyrant is usually the attack initiator or group tank.

Deciever:

Unlockable when you hit level 5 or any 5 levels after that. The spy of the vampire world. Your primary attack is a blade that deals far more damage when you attack from behind. To assist in this you can disguise as a member of the human team. Your other skill is the ability to create 3 illusory copies of yourself that scramble in all directions. The deciever is the assassin of the game, they are fragile but very quick and can rapidly destroy a team that is chaotically fighting off vampires.

Sentinel:
    Unlockable when you hit level 5 or any 5 levels after that. The flying vampire! Sentinels can swoop down and carry of humans dropping them for fall damage and ideally placing them closer to other vampires. Sentinel's other skills include a dive bomb attack that puts you on the ground but does area damage where you land and a wing strike that pushes humans away from you while dealing damage. Sentinels are a hard class to play well but are rewarding to learn.

Helpful gameplay videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...SGPLJIbIicZA90 This guy has some pretty comprehensive videos on individual classes including details on each alternate weapon/skill. There are only 4 guides at the moment, detailing 2 of 4 vampire classes and 2 of the 4 human.

Unofficial Steam RPS Nosgoth Group (Rock Paper Slayer):
    http://steamcommunity.com/groups/rockpaperslayer

That's about it. I hope to see some of you good RPSers in game and if you've got question's let's hear 'em!
    Last edited by Jlewis; 21-01-2015 at 05:52 AM.

Mod note: Moving this to appropriate subforum for self-promotion.
    Forum janitor in training.

Quote Originally Posted by Squiz View Post
    Mod note: Moving this to appropriate subforum for self-promotion.
    Seems pretty silly to have moved my post into self promotion simply because (I presume) I posted my referral link at the end. I have removed it, so could you please move this thread back to PC Gaming or the Social Club. I do not in any way work for Nosgoth/Square Enix and I put a lot of effort into the OP.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mickygor's Avatar
    If RPS is getting a community for Nosgoth going I might play again. I stopped because the in game community is terrible.
    Itsbastiat, Dawngate
    Bastiat, Planetside 2, Miller NC
    Therin Khatta, FFXIV, Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by Jlewis View Post
    Seems pretty silly to have moved my post into self promotion simply because (I presume) I posted my referral link at the end. I have removed it, so could you please move this thread back to PC Gaming or the Social Club. I do not in any way work for Nosgoth/Square Enix and I put a lot of effort into the OP.
    Fair point, I guess there's nothing to be said against putting it in the Game Clubs subforum. I can't do it myself but will inform the appropriate mod.
    Forum janitor in training.

Quote Originally Posted by Squiz View Post
    Fair point, I guess there's nothing to be said against putting it in the Game Clubs subforum. I can't do it myself but will inform the appropriate mod.
    Thank you, I appreciate that.

Mod note: moved to game clubs &c

That's enough for me. I'm in.
    "A victory so bitter it would be better we had not won," --General Transh

The Devpit: For all your literature, gaming, IT and defenestration needs.

Obscure Node
    Joined the group.
    I don't get why the pop is low as it is. It's one of the most fair and solid F2P games out there, and the setting is delicious.

Any tips on how could I recommend it to peoples on other boards? Most peoples are usually like "meh, f2p".
    Last edited by Rwlyra; 28-01-2015 at 05:43 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Hmm, the more I look into this the more appealing it seems. I like me some asymmetrical multiplayer combat, I does.

It's hard to recommend stuff to which folk often have an internalised prejudice. F2P, in this case. Especially if you're a new account. You look like a plant for the devs. Such things do exist. Note that the OP for this thread also got taken for a plant, since his post looks a bit like official marketing material.

What I would do is write a paragraph or two about why you like the game. Keep it fairly short, and where possible make it personal. An anecdote of a match you played that was unusually tense or noteworthy would be good. Show a little passion without laying it on thick.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I gave this a bit of a go last night. Not bad. I did like playing on Team Vampire. Climbing felt great. I loved being able to move about the map so freely. I enjoyed Hunter from Left 4 Dead, so I felt at home. I was less convinced about being a human. No cool movement options, and the weapons didn't feel especially fun to use. At least in Deathmatch, there's no motivation to move about the map. So you just mill about near a resupply point and wait to be attacked. Not terrible, just not as interesting compared to the other team.

I had what I presumed to be a bug in which sound mostly didn't work, so perhaps it was no wonder it felt a bit detached.

I have to agree with what you say about humans seeming less fun, I have played this game quite a lot and the humans just felt really dull to me. The only tactics they ever get to use is, as you say, clump up somewhere defendable and wait for the vampires while the vampires have so many cool tactics they can use. Big guys to push players out of safety, flyers to pick them up and drop them away from the rest of the team and the stealthy vampires that disguise themselves as humans for ambushes. Even the basic vampires are great fun to play climbing all over the place and vaulting down onto the humans or spitting acid to cause chaos.

If the humans had more variety like this then it would be just as fun to play as them and as you also said the human weapons are painfully dull, none of them feel that fun to use (although I do like the alchemists grenade launcher thing). You can still have a good time playing the game but I think most players prefer playing as vampire for all the above reasons as moving around a lot and trying to force the other team out of safety is way more fun than hiding and waiting for an attack.

Hey folks! A few of the GW2 gang are gonna be playing Nosgoth together tonight from 7PM GMT onwards. If anyone else is interested, let me know in this thread and we'll switch to playing it on the new Mumble, instead of the GW2 server.
    Last edited by Krathor; 22-02-2015 at 09:05 PM.
    Guild Wars 2:

Main character name is Seigous Bearheart. I also play on Duke Witherheart. And Lindenheart.

My GW2 blog that you can follow on Twitter.

Seven of us played this game together last night on Mumble - a four-on-four PvP set-up. We discovered quickly that just having one extra person on your team makes all of the difference, whether you're playing human or vampire.

I played some matches by myself today too. Really interesting mix of classes and it seems like the vampires have a huge variety to them. Will definitely play again, although I am slightly worried about the cash shop.
    Guild Wars 2:

Main character name is Seigous Bearheart. I also play on Duke Witherheart. And Lindenheart.

My GW2 blog that you can follow on Twitter.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mickygor's Avatar
    Don't need to be too concerned about the cash shop, I got a load of currency by buying into the closed beta and I've still not felt the need to spend any of it. Nothing critical enough.
    Itsbastiat, Dawngate
    Bastiat, Planetside 2, Miller NC
    Therin Khatta, FFXIV, Cerberus