Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Having CK2 sessions.

Greetings fellow lords and ladies,
    I have been running several Crusader Kings 2 sessions with the guys from Folk ARPS, and now I wanted to extend that invitation to you as well.

So, let's get straight to business:

When is this happening?
    Each session takes place on Saturday at 19.30 BST (British Summer Time) and they last for about 4 hours (it really depends on if someone wants to call it a day and then we stop.)

What do I need?
    You only need to have the vanilla CK2 installed with the v1.103 patch and checksum of WQLL (additional DLC's are OK, but not really needed because when you run a MP game you will be able to play with the DLC content that the host has. So in short, you can play with the content of DLC's if the host has them, and I believe I have all of the major ones.)

I've never played CK2 before, is it good?
    Yes CK2 is good :D It has a quite steep learning curve, but once you get it, the game is wonderful. From my experience I can say that I didn't like CK2 that much, but then I read some guides about it, and practiced with it for about 3-4 days, and now I'm loving every minute that I play ;)

So we will just sit there for 4 hours staring at a monitor?
    Not quite, we can also speak.. and we will speak, because... why not? :D
    We are using Mumble and the RPS server for it, here are the details:

• Address: server.herosquad.org
    • Port: 64738

What if I don't have a microphone?
    That's not a biggie, since you can still hear us and type your replies in the game chat.

I think that is all... if you have any questions feel free to ask them here or PM me. I can help you set up your game or with CK2 itself and give you tips on how to get stuff :D
    Last edited by Kefirz; 05-07-2013 at 10:13 AM. Reason: New update came out

may I suggest possibly using mumble instead? Thats what most people around RPS use.

Note: I sadly dont have time to join in, but it sounds like a lot of fun.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications & The Shopkeeper, an interactive short.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Oh yeah, good call.. I just haven't used it since the merge of ARPS and Folk and forgot about it :D
    Mumble actually sounds good because it's overlay works with the game, although you might have to place it in a different corner because by default it obstructs some stuff, or just filter by speaker.

Anyway, I edited the post and added the Mumble details instead of TS3.

Interesting. I caught up with the DLCs during the last sales, this could be a good way to finally give them a try. Count me in to open trading posts everywhere (if by some miracle I'm not late to the party).

Hehe.. good to hear that :D
    I think Venice was established before 900's, the year which we are currently on. So you have a good chance to make your own Venetian tycoon than will span.. hopefully further than Venice :D

I can't make this week, but I might join in next week. I haven't been playing Crusader Kings 2 in MP for ages.
    GW2: Urraca Aldor

I'm not sure how my Saturday is going to look, but I'm interested.

I will try and appear for the session!

It looks like a new patch is out now, so make sure you have updated your game to 1.103 with WQLL as the checksum. Should be a quick update, took me about 30 seconds to download it.

Another session went by,
    Big thanks to those that came, I hope you enjoyed the game we had, I certainly did.

So what happened?

Me as Brittany:
    -Still warring with Skotland (That's how they spell it.. those Norse guys don't know nothing of grammar :D)
    -Won the war and assassinated their queen in hopes of civil war, which happened shortly.
    -With Norse people separated I started a few wars and took control of the last Norse province in Wales, a few provinces in Ireland, and gained a foothold in Scotland.

In the rest of the world:
    -Kale didn't want to be Russians anymore, so he went with the mighty Duke of Lithuania, who has an astonishing army of 72 people, I think :D So it is needless to say that he needed help and swore fielty to Unaco, King of England.

-Unaco on the other hand got stronger and took England and became King of it, but a nasty civil war broke out and we will have to ''pacify'' those rebels as soon as we can. Thanks to Unaco from me for helping to kill an adventurer's host that was invading Ireland, when my armies were quite battered by the war with unified Skotland that was our mutual enemy.

-I really don't know what Skhalt was up to, because he was quite far away from me, playing as Republic of Venice, but I noticed that he gained some provinces in Italy, so good for him.

-Specialsoup had a nasty civil war going on in Byzantine Empire and if that wasn't bad enough, Muslims from the east started invading and took Constantinople and Greece.

-Nim was playing as Republic of Genoa, and he was successful because he expanded his holdings, but after a series of assassinations and a string of bad luck he was left without an heir and died, so his game was over. Too bad that I don't recall what he took instead.

-Zergra fixed his router issues by running to his house and arriving late :D He was continuing his game as Asturias and I believe he had some wars, but I don't know nothing of them specifically although I must thank him for helping me out in one time.

Here is the latest map of the game:

P.S Sorry for the technical trouble at the start,but I also urge you all to arrive 5 or 10 minutes earlier than the start, so we can sort out our things and start it in time.
    Last edited by Kefirz; 07-07-2013 at 12:47 PM.

I took... The Republic of Genoa! Because playing as the guy who killed your last guy is super fun. Almost as much fun as marrying the widowed wife of your predecessor to your heir.
    Last edited by Nim.Was.Taken; 07-07-2013 at 08:29 PM.

As the Supreme Doge of Venice, those early years were mostly spent trying to consolidate my position among the merchant families. My patriarch was basically a rabbit (he had wed his second wife and already got 7 children when we started the game, and managed to have 3 other children before dying) so the dynasty's continuity was well-established.
    One of my vassals somewhat managed to seize another province, which perplexes me a bit as I still have no idea how he did it. A string of incompetent chancellors all failed to fabricate claims on Croatia so I couldn't check if as a free merchant I could actually act on it and try and seize it.

Doesn't matter anyway, as things became interesting directly at home. My main problem, you see, was that my heir was still quite young, and so didn't garner the same respect as all the grey beards of the other Venitian families. The chances of him being elected as Supreme Doge when my patriarch would pass away seemed quite slim. Losing the title isn't the end for a merchant: you still have a manor and can continue the game even if you don't have any holdings, so my first thought was to simply bide my time for the election after.
    Turned out my patriarch was a willful bastard and went on living long enough for my heir to gather some prestige and experience, and for my court to grow a bit, and he actually became a serious contender in the race for office. Copious amounts of money were poured into the campaign, but one rival was still ahead of me. The man was not well-liked among his court though, a fact which is totally not connected with him dying from what was obviously food poisoning (what even is this "arsenic" you speak of?) after drinking a fateful cup of wine. An act of God, certainly.
    When my patriarch died of old age a couple of years later, my heir (and now patriarch himself) was safely elected as the new Supreme Doge and the Trade went on, unperturbed, until we stopped.

Out of curiosity.. how much do you rake in a month or a year?

I really can't remember. I'd say around 15g / month? I managed to upgrade my manor once which nets a net 6.0g / month, if I remember well. Add to that the holdings' taxes you're entitled to as the doge, and the taxes you collect from your trading posts - which is not that much at first and will become interesting only when I can take the time to upgrade them. The trading posts I started with were at the other end of Italy and didn't have the nice "Connected to capital" bonus as a result so that didn't help either. Province stability is also a big factor in your trading posts' revenue (specifically a looted province won't bring you much money for a few months) and Italy was a bit of a mess.
    So yeah, in the long run I think I could make more money than even some kings, but for now I think I'm just on par with any lord who has a 2 or 3 province demesne.
    Last edited by Skhalt; 08-07-2013 at 11:08 PM.

All of these stupid god damned expansions.

Retinues? What are this?

http://www.myfacewhen.net/uploads/5858-freak-out.gif

Trade zones? I don't even...

5893-natalie-portman-not-amused.jpg

Natalie is silently judging me.

Sorry I couldn't make it this week guys. USTZ + prior engagement makes Nim a very dull boy. No worries though, I've been playing as a Pagan in my single-player save, having a real blast looting and subjugating and such. Cannot wait to hear what shenanigans you guys got up to though, and hopefully I'll be able to make it next week.

Only Kefirz and me played last evening actually so it was kinda quiet.

On the Venice front, your old character declared war against me for one of my competitors' remote trading posts. Can't say I would have shed tears if they happened to lose their trading post, but Pietro Tribuno (hilariously named "the Kind" even though he kept assassinating his rivals until his own natural death) has a duty to protect Venice against any foreign meddling, no matter the internal politics. The standing army of Venice managed to route the forces of Genoa quickly enough, but would have been no match against the troops of their ally. Avoiding an unnecessary loss of loyal soldiers, I disbanded the levies and waited for the enemy to march all around the Gulf, then hired the White Company to meet them on the field and send them packing. They were not cheap but they certainly justified their price, and shortly after Genoa conceded defeat.

The rest of the game was spent successfully staying Supreme Doge through a couple of generations and almost wiping out a dynasty. One of their two remaining sons, who inherited the patriarch position, tried to plot to take revenge and is now rotting in Venice's darkest oubliettes. It seems my family is composed of manly men drinking pure testosterone and listening to Motorhead since they refuse to die before 75 y.o., outlive at least 2 wives each and have collectively, like, a billion children. It felt like I had a "Child lacking guardian" warning every 2 minutes.

Through experimentation I discovered that I could declare war to seize cities in provinces where one of Venice's merchants have a trading post (and you can apparently try and seize the whole province once you control a city), so I'm now waiting for an opportunity to try to do that on a nearby independent lord. Italy is still a bit of a mess so you have to act before someone else, basically. I didn't pay much attention to the western part but I noticed at the end that Genoa seemed to be no more, so you might have to pick another character, Nim.
    Last edited by Skhalt; 14-07-2013 at 02:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Skhalt View Post
    Only Kefirz and me played last evening actually so it was kinda quiet.

On the Venice front, your old character declared war against me for one of my competitors' remote trading posts. Can't say I would have shed tears if they happened to lose their trading post, but Pietro Tribuno (hilariously named "the Kind" even though he kept assassinating his rivals until his own natural death) has a duty to protect Venice against any foreign meddling, no matter the internal politics. The standing army of Venice managed to route the forces of Genoa quickly enough, but would have been no match against the troops of their ally. Avoiding an unnecessary loss of loyal soldiers, I disbanded the levies and waited for the enemy to march all around the Gulf, then hired the White Company to meet them on the field and send them packing. They were not cheap but they certainly justified their price, and shortly after Genoa conceded defeat.

The rest of the game was spent successfully staying Supreme Doge through a couple of generations and almost wiping out a dynasty. One of their two remaining sons, who inherited the patriarch position, tried to plot to take revenge and is now rotting in Venice's darkest oubliettes. It seems my family is composed of manly men drinking pure testosterone and listening to Motorhead, they die very old, outlive at least 2 wives each and have collectively, like, a billion children. It felt like I had a "Child lacking guardian" warning every 2 minutes.

Through experimentation I discovered that I could declare war to seize cities in provinces where one of Venice's merchants have a trading post (and you can apparently try and seize the whole province once you control a city), so I'm now waiting for an opportunity to try to do that on a nearby independent lord. Italy is still a bit of a mess so you have to act before someone else, basically. I didn't pay much attention to the western part but I noticed at the end that Genoa seemed to be no more, so you might have to pick another character, Nim.
    If one of you guys could upload a copy of the save-game that would be just super! ;D

Nim

Yeah it was kind of quiet, but still some stuff happened.
    I noticed that my ruler was quite old (around 75-80), so I started to prepare myself for his death, which eventually happened and put his son in the throne, after that the vassals of Brittany weren't so excited about this change of power as you might think, so my levies were quite weak and I was constantly plotting against people that apparently didn't like how I roll :D

After a while Skotland was united once more and I tried to have good relations with them, but I guess they don't take kindly failed plots against their king, so I was swooshed in yet another war with the Norse Pseudo-Scots. Unfortunately I lost the war and a few provinces with it.

Now that I have consolidated my power I changed Crown law to medium and succession to Seniority, this has sparked some rebellious factions, but I have been able to deal with them in time, although they still are a threat to me. In other news, Skotland is yet another civil war and I intend to reclaim my lost lands during it.

Here is the latest map:

And for Nim, here is the savegame:

http://ge.tt/51Bajjl/v/0?c

think I'll grab Denmark in our next session. I was hoping to be able to play as the same noble house as in my single player game, but it appears to have died out in the multi player save. Playing a norseman is pretty fun. In my single player game I'm also playing Denmark and somehow almost all of the British isles have been taken over by the Norse based empire of Britannia, so I'm having to keep an eye on them, while I try to cement alliances with the other two major Norse kingdoms currently around. Norway is playing nice, but the other one, Sjoldyrnhelm or some stupid shit like that, is being difficult, despite my having 100% approval from their king. I'm trying to sow dissent in Britannia, because they are big and they want my Scottish lands. In our last war I had to hire three mercenary companies, and I still barely won. I am playing on hard difficulty for whatever that is worth. This is my first play through as anything other than a Catholic. Initially I tried to rule the Catholics in Scotland but they were a pain in the ass, rebelling and such. Once I near them down and sacrificed them to the all-father, their Norse replacements were way more chill.
    Last edited by Nim.Was.Taken; 15-07-2013 at 10:43 PM.